'32 Duece Suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Triple G

Wiki Edits: 0

'32 Duece Suspension

I am currently building a 1932 5-Window Coupe. I need a good source for chassis/suspension information. I have assembled the "rolling chassis" and now need to adjust everything. The front suspension is a 4" dropped I-beam Superbell axle with Pete & Jake Viper Hairpins (radius rods) Vega box, Early Ford Tie Rods & Drag Link, F100 style shock mounts, shocks, leaf spring, 11" front disc brakes, etc. etc. The rear end is a Ford 9" with a parallel 4-Bar kit, panhard bar, rear coil overs, etc.

Never having done this before, I'm looking for anything that will help me align the front end (toe & caster), and anything else I should be doing up front. And then in the back, how to adjust the 4 bar length and panhard bar, etc.

Keep it simple HELP ... drawings are great!

Thanks,
Grant

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

As a Moderator here and a long time 32 Ford owner ... I would like to WELCOME you here

You have find this thread interesting ... our own Centerline ( fellow Moderator ) is building a 3W ... http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/deuc...rs-134313.html and I have a photo journal on the construction of my 32 3W ... and it is here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=1&reverse=1

I just use a tape measure and get the axles parallel to each other and the axle laying back about 7 degrees ...

AGAIN ... Welcome to the site

Deuce ... Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 AM

Last journal entry: Mini Tubbing a 1967 Firebird Convertible Part 1
Last photo:

Glad you asked the question

I will be doing the assembly and alignment on my front end very soon as well (same setup, just 4 bar instead of hairpins). If anyone knows any torque specs for pretty much everything on the front end (or a link to them) I'd love to find out as well. Oh, and not to steal the thread, has anyone installed the fromt axle panhard bar? I am thinking about getting one, but I can't picture exactly how it goes. I'll be happy to re-post in another thread if necessary. Thanks!

Welcome to the board, BTW.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Just for info..I have a bit different way..I draw a centerline on the garage floor and two lines perpendicular to that at the length of the wheelbase..Kinda like a big I with the top and bottom of the I at the centerlines of the front and rear axles..and the middle of the I at the center of the car..Align to that and you are in good shape for on center and square of the chassis..I agree 7 degrees is a good kingpin angle..check it with a magnetic protractor..

Do a google search for "torque for bolts" and there are several on the webb..

Sam
Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slomotion34
..................Oh, and not to steal the thread, has anyone installed the fromt axle panhard bar? I am thinking about getting one, but I can't picture exactly how it goes..........
Panhard bars are a necessity for either front 4 bar's or hairpins. Here is the way Pete & Jakes designs theirs. The diagonal bar in the pic is the panhard bar and it attaches to the passenger's side hairpin (or four bar) mount and to a bracket welded to the lower frame on the driver's side just to the rear of the front crossmember.

Below is a pic of the driver's side bracket tacked in place. Hope this helps.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 PM

Last journal entry: Mini Tubbing a 1967 Firebird Convertible Part 1
Last photo:

....we need a "smilie" with a light bulb suddenly going off. Thanks for the pictures and for clearing this up for me!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.