32 Ford 4 Link Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 07:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

32 Ford 4 Link Questions

Hello Hotrodders,
For a very long time I wanted to build a Bare Bones Hot Rod. The time has finally come and a 32 5W body sits channeled over a repro frame. Of course everybody has their own specific idea of how a Rod should look. I decided to move the I-beam axle in front of the grille, to lower the car and give it my desired look.
The body/frame is set level at ride hight. (I intend to have the rails as the lowest point of the frame. The Engine and Transmission will be raised accordingly.) I assembled the front end (forged axle, 37-41 ford spindles, finned backing plates and Buick Aluminum drums), attached the wheels and set the assembly to the car (centered and square).
I would like to know how important the length of the 4 bars are, and if they can run parallel to the centerline of the car or if they need to be angled towards the center. I am using Pete & Jakes Batwings (designed for poly bushings instead of clevis pins) and would like to have the pivot points close to the firewall, and at that point the frame has almost the same width as the Batwings.
Your advice and input is greatly appreciated.
Swisskidd

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

welcome to the board.
The longer bars the better, they can be parallel with the c/l of the car or angled, it doesn't matter. The panhard rod keeps things centered. You didn't say if you were using a leaf spring or what, but a panhard rod is almost always appropriate.

but yes, you are on the right track, it'll work the way you have planned out.

Just make sure you can have about 5-7 degrees of caster when you set up your axle.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 09-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

As a long time 32 Ford owner ( see avatar )
and a Moderator here ... I would like to WELCOME you to Hotrodders.com

As Mike stated... the longer the bars .. the better ... to a point.

I use the longest ones I can and still fit under the fenders. If you are going without fenders ... longer is definitely better ... but if you are going to channeled the body ... do not make the bars too long ...

I have some photos of my current 32 project here .... http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=1&reverse=1

They have some chassis photos and other construction stuff going on ...

Again WELCOME

Deuce ... Modewrator
Old 09-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

"32 Ford 4 bar ??

What are you using for your steering box? If you're using a Vega box, as the guys told you, the longer the better. But if you are using something like a f-100 box, then you want the bars to end in line with your pitman arm. Either way, a panhard bar is very wise.

Youngster
Old 09-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Good catch on the steering box, Youngster

Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 AM

32 4 Link, Steering Box

Thanks to everyone for their input.
As far as spring, it is a Mono Leaf. For steering, I was thinking of using a Schroeder Sprint Car Box under the dash with the pitman arm on the side of the body. I guess also in this scenario the radius rod length should match the length of the drag link?!? I haven't spent alot of time to figure out the ratios regarding pitman arm vs. steering arm etc. I will post a picture of my work-in-progress in the next few days.
Swisskidd
Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

It sounds like you are looking at a suicide style front end normally run on a Tbucket for the car.

To each his own, but why spend the money on a duece Repro frame if you are going to channel the body and turn it into a T bucket style chassis?

Running the 32 style frame with a Model A style front crossmember, the mono leaf and a dropped axle should have you pretty low to start with unless you are just going for that way stretched out there look.

Before you go too far you might want to read Brandon Flannery's editorial in the Fall O7 Traditional Rod and Culture Illustrated. It's a one page and you don't necessarily have to buy the magazine just read the editorial. page 8 by the way.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of cookie cutter cars but I do like safe cars that have "The" look and can be driven and driven hard and driven long distances without issues.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

re'32 Ford 4link

With the cowl steering and the channeled body, you're going to have trouble building the drag link as long as the 4 bar. just mount the steering box as far forward in the cowl as you can and the frame mounts for the 4 bar as close to the firewall as you can. Have you already bought the deuce frame? If so, have you cut it yet?

Youngster
Old 09-11-2007, 07:37 PM

32 Ford 4 Link

Thanks for the tip on the magazine. I was not familiar with that one. I checked the web site at placed a subscription. As far as the car I agree with
Chopt 48 that it has to perform as well as it looks. It will not be a pavement scraper like you see in some of the magazines. After all, following the guidelines regarding "Scrub Line", the ground clearance is mostly dictated by the tire sidewall. (I opted for skinny, tall radials with a 7" Sidewall.)

Yes, the frame is cut! The spring stays at its stock location. Just the axle sits in front of the grille. I will not hide the grille behind a bulky tube crossmember holding the spring axle assembly.
Again thanks for everyones input.
swisskidd

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.