Hot Rod Forum banner

32 Ford body, firewall and body bolts

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  heyjude076 
#1 ·
I have a 1932 Ford 2 dr sedan all steel body on original boxed frame. The previous owner installed a B'tchin brand firewall and welded it to the body. A B'tchin brand front floor panel also came with the deal. The new firewall mounting brackets are on the inside of the body so when I put the floor panel in place the body mounting bolts are covered up. Is this normal with this brand of firewall? Should I fabricate removeable plugs in the floor panel so that I can bolt/unbolt the body as need be?

#2 ·
There should be 2 inside the firewall about 8" apart just ahead of the door and just behind the firewall. The ones on the outside of the firewall are often eliminated with modern components to clean up the area and are considered uneccesary with all the bolts that hold it on( I think about 6 or 7 per side excluding the ones in front of the firewall).

#3 ·
Thanks Woodz

What I am concerned about is the fact that when I install the front floor panel the body bolts are covered up. How do I obtain access to them to bolt/unbolt the body. Do I cut access holes in the floor pan? I am assuming that the front panel gets welded in permanent.

#4 ·
I would weld it in, however, I am not so sure they were from the factory. I am not an original Deuce expert, but do a lot of work one early cars as far back as the Model A and many have a removable front floor panel for transmission removal etc., most have a solid crossmember that makes trans removal either impossible or very difficult. I would weld in the panel. Prior to that I would locate were the bolts go and cut some holes for access. I sometimes,depending on the depth between the frame and floor panel,make collars that go between the two so the bolts come through for easy access.I may be over analyzing what you are doing, but the 2 bolts we are discussing SHOULD be within the cavity between the body and the floor panel, and could be covered by a kick panel.Not having a picture of what you are working with, I am not sure what modifications may have been done it it's 70+ year life.

#5 ·
woodz428 said:
..... Not having a picture of what you are working with, I am not sure what modifications may have been done it it's 70+ year life.
Now why didn't I think of that. DUH! Here are some pics. The first pic is with the floor panel setting in place (close but not exact).

Studying it closer I guess the original floorboard was removeable and I could probably do that with this one but probably be better to weld it in and fabricate collars for the body bolts.

Thanks again

Attachments

#6 ·
Did some more homework (should have done it first). I have a B'tchin firewall that is set back 2 3/4" (321040) and a front floor panel (321041). According to the web site this floor panel could be bolted or welded. I think to seal from weather it would be better to weld it which means making collars or some means to gain access to the front body bolts.

Thanks for all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.