Hot Rod Forum banner

32 ford body info

35K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  theft 
#1 ·
hello guys
my plan is to recreate a body 32 ford all by hand, but can not find the drawings of the measures that will allow me to be able to get on with the job.
could you tell me if you have any links or pictures.
thanks

#2 ·
It depends somewhat on how accurate you want your replica. If you want it exact, then you'll almost need to have an original at your side the entire time you are fabricating panels. If you want to get "close" but are not a stickler for exact detail, what I do is us a plastic model (like Revell etc) and then scale up each measurement by the scale indicated on the box (most are 24:1 I think). That's basically what I did to create this '31 roadster. There are some places around the internet where basic body and frame measurements are shown. Perhaps another of our members has a link or two they can provide.

#4 ·
cboy said:
It depends somewhat on how accurate you want your replica. If you want it exact, then you'll almost need to have an original at your side the entire time you are fabricating panels. If you want to get "close" but are not a stickler for exact detail, what I do is us a plastic model (like Revell etc) and then scale up each measurement by the scale indicated on the box (most are 24:1 I think). That's basically what I did to create this '31 roadster. There are some places around the internet where basic body and frame measurements are shown. Perhaps another of our members has a link or two they can provide.

beautiful rod!!!!
I hope you can help me, I'd really like to play the quarter similar to the original

#5 ·
#6 ·
theft said:
...I hope you can help me, I'd really like to play the quarter similar to the original
I've never been able to find the precise and exact type of measurements you would need for a deuce body anywhere on the web. The problem is that while these bodies may appear somewhat flat and boxy they are, in fact, fairly complicated. Any dimensions you might find on the web will probably be for very limited cross sections of the body. If you want to build an exact replica, I can't imagine doing that without an original in front of you to work from. And from my limited experience, you'll need to have access to that original throughout almost the entire fabrication process.

I don't want to sound too pessimistic here or discourage you from attempting this project, but if this is your first shot at fabricating a body, I would recommend keeping things as simple as possible and shooting for something that might be eye catching and "era correct", but not necessarily an exact replica.

I'm not sure this will be of any help to you but you can see the entire step by step design and fabrication of the roadster shown above by going to this journal. You can also see the step by step design and fabrication of the sedan deliver pictured below by going to my other journal here. Obviously these bodies are not exact replicas of anything...but I believe they do convey the line and the feel of many late 20's and early 30's cars. And they were far simpler than attempting an exact replica.

#7 ·
cboy said:
I've never been able to find the precise and exact type of measurements you would need for a deuce body anywhere on the web. The problem is that while these bodies may appear somewhat flat and boxy they are, in fact, fairly complicated. Any dimensions you might find on the web will probably be for very limited cross sections of the body. If you want to build an exact replica, I can't imagine doing that without an original in front of you to work from. And from my limited experience, you'll need to have access to that original throughout almost the entire fabrication process.

I don't want to sound too pessimistic here or discourage you from attempting this project, but if this is your first shot at fabricating a body, I would recommend keeping things as simple as possible and shooting for something that might be eye catching and "era correct", but not necessarily an exact replica.

I'm not sure this will be of any help to you but you can see the entire step by step design and fabrication of the roadster shown above by going to this journal. You can also see the step by step design and fabrication of the sedan deliver pictured below by going to my other journal here. Obviously these bodies are not exact replicas of anything...but I believe they do convey the line and the feel of many late 20's and early 30's cars. And they were far simpler than attempting an exact replica.

what I have written is true, it is difficult to play the quarter only measure, but it gives me even more courage to try and if I can not, I will do a similar job.

congratulations on the rod, are fantastic ..

you saw the link that I put it?

#8 ·
theft said:
...you saw the link that I put it?
I'm so glad you reminded me of the link to your photos since I failed to review them earlier. And boy was I missing out. Great job on the frame rails, grill shell, and grill shell insert. Clearly I underestimated your talent and skill level. It also appears from some of the pictures that you already have more detailed blueprints and drawings of the deuce body than anything I have previously seen on the web.

I can't read the notes and comments but you are right, the pictures do show the great progress you have been able to make thus far.

I salute you...and your fellow rodders in Italy. Keep us posted on your progress here in the states. It looks like you are going to be more help to us than we could ever be to you.

Dewey

#9 ·
cboy said:
I'm so glad you reminded me of the link to your photos since I failed to review them earlier. And boy was I missing out. Great job on the frame rails, grill shell, and grill shell insert. Clearly I underestimated your talent and skill level. It also appears from some of the pictures that you already have more detailed blueprints and drawings of the deuce body than anything I have previously seen on the web.

I can't read the notes and comments but you are right, the pictures do show the great progress you have been able to make thus far.

I salute you...and your fellow rodders in Italy. Keep us posted on your progress here in the states. It looks like you are going to be more help to us than we could ever be to you.

Dewey

thanks!!!!!!
but it is very difficult and have the courage to compliment sometimes, I had almost come to buy one quarter and be able to play.
know how many links that sell parts hot rod?

#10 ·
theft said:
...it is very difficult and have the courage to compliment sometimes,
In this case it is not difficult to hand out compliments at all. You are doing excellent and interesting work.

theft said:
...I had almost come to buy one quarter and be able to play.
know how many links that sell parts hot rod?
I think we are missing out on something in translation here between the Italian and the English. Maybe you could tell us a bit more what the phrase "play the quarter" and "buy one quarter to be able to play" mean. They sound intriguing. Do we have any Italian HR.Com members who could shed some light on the meaning?

#12 ·
For those of you who are lazy (like me) and didn't take a look at Theft's link, here are a few pics of what he is doing. His work is really worth a look.

Working drawings for body:

Hand fabricated frame rails:

And a hand fabricated grill shell and insert:

Visit the link Theft provided above to see many more pictures. The site is all in Italian...but the pictures tell the story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.