Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 32 Ford Coupe bodies
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 12:01 PM
boatbob2

Wiki Edits: 0

fiberglass cars

you all know opinions are like a - - holes,everyone has one,i have been repairing fiberglass boats for almost 40 years. a repair (or a car) does NOT have to be thick to be strong.the shape of the glass normally gives you the strength.(think about that) most f.g. car builders (NOT ALL OF THEM) build a thick car,because they either dont know what theyre doing or cant afford good materials,or are using a chopper gun.the materials (and shape) is where the strength comes in.i can make a body 3/16 in thick,that will be as strong or stronger than most bodys currently made. to the inside of the mold,i spray 2 coats of gel-coat, then hand lay-up, 1 layer of 3/4 oz mat,2 layers of 1 1/2 oz mat,and either 1 bi-ply,or 1 roving. both are very strong)roving is a little harder to wet out. the average 32 roadster body DOES NOT HAVE OVER $250.00 in F.G.materials in it. labor and building the mold is where the price comes in, oh,dont forget the 200 to 300 % markup. now,how many manufacturers did i P - -s off?????