32 ford frame question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

32 ford frame question

I have been trying to find some help without luck. I have a duece frame that i may need to modify and want some advise. My concerns are that i may need a small kick up in the rear to get the initial stance of the frame level when all the suspension is on with wheels. I bought a 4" drop front axle with multi leaf and will run a coil over rear. I want the frame rail bottom to remain level while its in the jig, depending on only the tire diameter making a rake when done. So lets assume for "level" the front and rear tire diameter are the same. Will my standard rails (with a c-notch) be sufficiant or will I need a kick up? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65shelby
I have been trying to find some help without luck. I have a duece frame that i may need to modify and want some advise. My concerns are that i may need a small kick up in the rear to get the initial stance of the frame level when all the suspension is on with wheels. I bought a 4" drop front axle with multi leaf and will run a coil over rear. I want the frame rail bottom to remain level while its in the jig, depending on only the tire diameter making a rake when done. So lets assume for "level" the front and rear tire diameter are the same. Will my standard rails (with a c-notch) be sufficiant or will I need a kick up? Thank you
Depending on the mounting point(s) for the coil-over rear suspension, you should be able to level the frame to your expectations without any additional kick up at the rear of the frame. The 'C' notch you mention should be sufficient to provide the clearance you will need for the rear axle tubes.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

This is the frame I did for my deuce. It sits level without the engine and trans mounted. Does have a slight rake with them in place though.

Here it is fully assembled after paint. The "C" notch works perfectly and the rear has several inches of travel before getting close to the frame.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." - Albert Einstein
Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Both of my 32's have the same " C " notch and both sit level even with the rubber rake difference in the front/rear tires.

Deuce ... Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 12-06-2011, 10:24 PM

suspension

thank you guys, thats a big help. What kind of ground clearance do you have from the center of the frame when all weight was applied. I am making the frame rail the lowest point of the truck, I am after just more than speed bump clearance, about 8-10". thanks again
Old 12-06-2011, 10:28 PM

frame

Hey centerline, after weight applied how much of a rake did you get? Approximately what is the messurement to the ground at the front, just behind the hairpin and the rear, just before the factory kick up? Thank you
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 PM

frame

Duece, you seem to be a regular on this forum and have a good knowledge of the 32 in particular. You seem to do nice work. What I am working with is out of the norm which I am catching a lot of slack over. I am building a 31 a truck on a 32 frame, fenderless. I generally dont like a fenderless truck, as I think most people dont set it up right and the rear always looks out of wack. So stance and ride height is very important to me with this one. I dont want it on the ground, but a lower setting fenderless truck with the "skinnies" to me has the look for a fenderless. I am only after speed bump clearance. So do you still think only a c notch will do for me? I want a slight rake, but only one that the tire diameter will make the change with. Thank you
Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hey centerline, after weight applied how much of a rake did you get? Approximately what is the messurement to the ground at the front, just behind the hairpin and the rear, just before the factory kick up? Thank you
Sorry, been on the road for the last week. I'll measure tomorrow and let you know.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride!" - Anonymous
Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
OK here are the measurements. The front section of the frame where the body starts has 7 1/2" clearance. The rear just before the frame starts its kick up has 10" clearance. Keep in mind that my engine weighs right around 700 lbs. so if you're using a small block it won't compress the front springs quite as much and the rake of the frame won't be so pronounced.

Here's a picture of my "C" notch. It's not as deep as Deuce's but his car is designed to have more of a "stock" stance where mine is a high boy with a bit more pronounced rake.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion of how it should be put together". - Tim Allen
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 PM

frame

thank you very much centerline, i appreciate all your time. Mine will be a highboy as well, Im just being very picky about the stance, since now is the time to worry about it.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Duece, you seem to be a regular on this forum and have a good knowledge of the 32 in particular. You seem to do nice work. What I am working with is out of the norm which I am catching a lot of slack over. I am building a 31 a truck on a 32 frame, fenderless. I generally dont like a fenderless truck, as I think most people dont set it up right and the rear always looks out of wack. So stance and ride height is very important to me with this one. I dont want it on the ground, but a lower setting fenderless truck with the "skinnies" to me has the look for a fenderless. I am only after speed bump clearance. So do you still think only a c notch will do for me? I want a slight rake, but only one that the tire diameter will make the change with. Thank you

I am usually here a good bit ( after all ... I am a MODERATOR here )

I would " C " notch fairly deeply. The notch does not hurt and it is better ( IMHO ) to have more notch than needed than not enough. If you want the " skinnies " to tuck closely ... I suggest a rear end with a maximum width of 56 inches. That is wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange.

As you can see ... my 3W sits fairly LOW
The frame is actully about 3 inches lower than the running boards.

I never drag the frame ... but you must be careful about the placement of your engine/transmission. They will be the lowest point of your project with the possible exception of the exhaust.

Randy

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 12-15-2011, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

'32 stance

Ditto........
Nice 3 w & PU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	our '32 hi-boy.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	60832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Our '32 5w.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	60833  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.