Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '32 Ford Roadster, best glass body, best frame?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 09:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Anytime you talk about building a 32,33,34. you can't put best and not break the bank in the same sentence, they don't go together, and then throw roadster in, you missed everything. Now every ones breaking point is different so where did you want to go, how much ball park. we can tell you things that each one of us thinks is the best, the prices will be all over the board, but we have to know what you are calling breaking the bank.

Bob
Bob, some very good points.

While looking at used '32 Roadsters for sale it seems there are "plain Jane" cars in the 25k-30k range all the way up to 100k+ for very nice steel repop cars.

What I should have said intead of "best" was best bang for the buck, with a 30K-40K total budget. I will do my own build, body work & paint.

The only true "must haves" are a soft tow with real door glass ans HVAC.

I don't mind doing a little work on seams and gaps, but I would like trunk, doors & hood perhung and more or less ready to go.

The Downs bodies look good from what I have seen & read, and there is a shop about an hour away (Timeless Rod & Custom, Lula GA) that sells Downs bodies all the way up to a turnkey car.

My concern is that I don't want to make a major mistake on my purchase. Several years ago I wanted a C#bra replica. I started down the road with a few different companies, but I always "smelled a rat'. I went from looking for a low budget build to ultimately purchasing an aluminum Kirkham replica (that car was a peice of artwork).

There are several C#bra website were you can learn anything about everything C#bra replica related. With a '32 Ford replica the information is much more decentralized (although this forum looks like an excellent source of knowledge & information).

I've seen threads on other forums where guys are having to put a dozen relief cuts in a deck lid, recurve it with ratchet straps and reglass it to get it to conture the body. The same threads talk about the frame being 1/2" out of square and that is from the biggest replica builder in the USA!
That is not acceptable to me. Any frame built in a jig should be square, level, plumb, ect.

Thanks, Jim