Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '32 Ford Roadster, best glass body, best frame?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

32 Ford roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin
Bob, some very good points.

While looking at used '32 Roadsters for sale it seems there are "plain Jane" cars in the 25k-30k range all the way up to 100k+ for very nice steel repop cars.

What I should have said intead of "best" was best bang for the buck, with a 30K-40K total budget. I will do my own build, body work & paint.

The only true "must haves" are a soft tow with real door glass ans HVAC.

I don't mind doing a little work on seams and gaps, but I would like trunk, doors & hood perhung and more or less ready to go.

The Downs bodies look good from what I have seen & read, and there is a shop about an hour away (Timeless Rod & Custom, Lula GA) that sells Downs bodies all the way up to a turnkey car.

My concern is that I don't want to make a major mistake on my purchase. Several years ago I wanted a C#bra replica. I started down the road with a few different companies, but I always "smelled a rat'. I went from looking for a low budget build to ultimately purchasing an aluminum Kirkham replica (that car was a peice of artwork).

There are several C#bra website were you can learn anything about everything C#bra replica related. With a '32 Ford replica the information is much more decentralized (although this forum looks like an excellent source of knowledge & information).

I've seen threads on other forums where guys are having to put a dozen relief cuts in a deck lid, recurve it with ratchet straps and reglass it to get it to conture the body. The same threads talk about the frame being 1/2" out of square and that is from the biggest replica builder in the USA!
That is not acceptable to me. Any frame built in a jig should be square, level, plumb, ect.

Thanks, Jim
Jim, I have talked to the guys at timeless a lot, They were going to try the guy I use for wiring boards. The 32 you are talking about I think the body is around $17,000.00 Then you have the frame, you are past half way to your $40,000.00 budget. and you still have a lot of parts to buy. Engine, Tranny, Rearend, I think you are almost there. I have not seen too many guys that don't want to put some bling on their car so that's more. Now that car is not a roadster, it's called a convertible, because it has side windows, and because the top goes in a compartment.

32-34s are close to being the most costly car out there to build. I have a 33 I know.

Bob