Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '32 Ford Roadster, best glass body, best frame?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Guys, thanks for all the information.

I went by Timeless Rod & Customs today to have a look at their cars and was pleasantly surprised!

I was expecting a car or two to be there, but I would guess there were 10-15 cars in their shop(inside & out front, I didn't go around back).

There were a few cars in for various upgrades as well as 8 or 10 new builds in various stages.

They had all three versions of the convertible they sell in stock.

The high dollar (to me) steel Dearborn and two glass versions (curved windshield & straight windshield).

They had the glass convertible in "raw" gelcoat and a couple that had been sanded and several roadsters in paint.

The glass body was very nice right out of the mold(I can only compare it to a couple crappy glass C#bra replica bodies I have seen). Ricky had to show me the seams as they were no obvious (to me). The door gaps/fit and trunk lid gaps/fit looked good.

There were several frames in the shop as well. One frame was painted and set up as a roller. It was a sweet setup with a drilled i-beam front suspension (all chromed).

The price for a roller '32 convertible with body (body with doors & trunk mounted, power windows installed and body shimmed on frame), top and chassis (unpainted frame, 9" rear, rear suspension, master cylinder, brake lines run, 4 wheel discs and chromed front suspension) was right at $20,000.
I might have forgot a couple items that are included.

The major items I would need would be engine/tranny/hood/grill/grill shell/hvac/radiator/fan/driveshaft/interior/steering/paint.

I did have a crazy thought while I was there. I have a Cummins 4bt/tranny setup and we pulled a tape on a car and I think it would drop in. The 4bt is loud (plenty of videos on Youtube for those no familiar with them), but they have nice power & great fuel economy. In a Jeep/Bronco 25-30 mpg is normal. In a light weight '32 I would expect 30-35 mpg.
It might hurt resale value, but rodders love crazy stuff. Opinions?
Another thing I would like about the diesel is that 20 gallons of gasoline in a '32 scares me (in a collision, explosion wise). With diesel it wouldn't be a concern.

A must have for me is HVAC and weather proof top that can go up and down fast. I have had a couple fair weather cars and they are a pain. I want something I can throw the old lady in and hit the road. This glass convertible fits the bill.

I ended up staying there for 45 minutes to an hour. Very nice folks.

Does anybody need a skidsteer or backhoe? I need to sell mine to fund a new project!

Thanks, Jim