'32 Ford Roadster, best glass body, best frame? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fin....I have a "Downs" '32 Victoria body and I wished that I had never bought it, thats all I will say....long story. From what I can gather it doesn't look like they even have a web site, just a phone number (????) I would really do a LOT and I mean a LOT of research before spending a penny on one of their products.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

32 Ford roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin
Bob, some very good points.

While looking at used '32 Roadsters for sale it seems there are "plain Jane" cars in the 25k-30k range all the way up to 100k+ for very nice steel repop cars.

What I should have said intead of "best" was best bang for the buck, with a 30K-40K total budget. I will do my own build, body work & paint.

The only true "must haves" are a soft tow with real door glass ans HVAC.

I don't mind doing a little work on seams and gaps, but I would like trunk, doors & hood perhung and more or less ready to go.

The Downs bodies look good from what I have seen & read, and there is a shop about an hour away (Timeless Rod & Custom, Lula GA) that sells Downs bodies all the way up to a turnkey car.

My concern is that I don't want to make a major mistake on my purchase. Several years ago I wanted a C#bra replica. I started down the road with a few different companies, but I always "smelled a rat'. I went from looking for a low budget build to ultimately purchasing an aluminum Kirkham replica (that car was a peice of artwork).

There are several C#bra website were you can learn anything about everything C#bra replica related. With a '32 Ford replica the information is much more decentralized (although this forum looks like an excellent source of knowledge & information).

I've seen threads on other forums where guys are having to put a dozen relief cuts in a deck lid, recurve it with ratchet straps and reglass it to get it to conture the body. The same threads talk about the frame being 1/2" out of square and that is from the biggest replica builder in the USA!
That is not acceptable to me. Any frame built in a jig should be square, level, plumb, ect.

Thanks, Jim
Jim, I have talked to the guys at timeless a lot, They were going to try the guy I use for wiring boards. The 32 you are talking about I think the body is around $17,000.00 Then you have the frame, you are past half way to your $40,000.00 budget. and you still have a lot of parts to buy. Engine, Tranny, Rearend, I think you are almost there. I have not seen too many guys that don't want to put some bling on their car so that's more. Now that car is not a roadster, it's called a convertible, because it has side windows, and because the top goes in a compartment.

32-34s are close to being the most costly car out there to build. I have a 33 I know.

Bob
Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Don (Don's Hot Rod Shop) da34guy on this forum has his shop not too far from my Son's place and I stopped by for a visit a bit ago. He only uses N&N bodies and I had a chance to view and inspect this car close up and it was beautiful.

Don built this one a couple years ago and I had a chance to take a close look at it at Deuce Day in Phoenix about a year ago. Again the body was perfect. I don't think you can beat their price on a quality glass roadster body. I believe he uses TCI chassis too.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you." – Jeremy Clarkson
Old 03-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

moving this to HR.Basics
Old 03-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

OK ... I will be the different one here ( I usually am anyway )

I suggest you find a abandoned 32 project. They are out there.

I found this Brookville STEEL 32 Ford roadster ... T H E you see in the photo for 20 grand. P&J chassis ... 9 inch Ford ... chrome front suspension and the Halibrands ( with new tires ) ... a friend of mine now owns it and I am working on it for him.

A steel Brookville is about 12 grand ... by itself. Add up all the parts and pieces and my friend got 30 grand of parts for 20 grand. The 32 is at a stage where it can go most any style and not be someone's PROJECT ... that you have to finished their way. It is a blank canvas.

The big swap @ Charlotte NC is April 7/10 2011. I would go there ... then Nats South in Knoxville. LOOK around ...

Lots of options available now in the down economy.

As the long time owner of a 32 Ford roadster ... ( 30 plus years )
I strongly suggest you ride in one and be around a roadster before you spend the $$$. You may want to look at this thread also. Click here

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...7045&showall=1

DEUCE ... Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 03-17-2011, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

Apparently Club Hot Rod doesn't like other forums linking to photos on their site. Typical since that place is inhabited by nothing more than a bunch of high dollar gold chainers with an attitude. Anyway here are basically the same pics of the same two cars I originally posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Don (Don's Hot Rod Shop) da34guy on this forum has his shop not too far from my Son's place and I stopped by for a visit a bit ago. He only uses N&N bodies and I had a chance to view and inspect this car close up and it was beautiful.

Don built this one a couple years ago and I had a chance to take a close look at it at Deuce Day in Phoenix about a year ago. Again the body was perfect. I don't think you can beat their price on a quality glass roadster body. I believe he uses TCI chassis too.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you." – Jeremy Clarkson
Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Wow CL, I'm waiting for my gold chain and my high buck car to arrive Attitude - uhhhh

Dave W
Old 03-17-2011, 10:23 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

does it have to be a Ford ?

32 fords have the highest resale potential. In the 50's my favorite car was the 32 coupe, chopped and channeled, 312 ford with 3 carbs owned by the local parts store machinist. I found out later my sister in law's foster father rebuilt it in 33 from a roll over , front end crash in 36. then later did the top chop. We built a 31 Chrysler convertible, olds eng, trans, rear, a Shared project. college expenses didn't allow me to buy out the other guy. My son went south from Bonneville a few years ago and brought home a lot of old tin, I pieced a 31 nash back together and he has the quarters and cowl from some old roadster, Make unknown . We have a lot of equipment and tools and can do most of our own work. And I told my wife I would like to have a new Tig welder. I said I could repair the aluminum pipe in our farm irrigation system and they are nice to work on the car projects. She said then go buy it and when will the A V8 roadster be done?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Wow CL, I'm waiting for my gold chain and my high buck car to arrive Attitude - uhhhh

Dave W
OK, so maybe not ALL folks over there have an attitude but the vast majority in the Deuce Den do, and there are a at least a couple regulars there who were banned from this site for various transgressions... mostly personal attacks on other members. I know because I banned them. Also when they were asked to support our fight for free speech just by passing the word around, their answer was not only NO but they attacked the messenger. I guess its just an example of how a few bozos can run roughshod over a forum and ruin it for a lot of other people. Definitely not my kind of place.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it." - Dudley Moore
Old 03-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Apparently Club Hot Rod doesn't like other forums linking to photos on their site. Typical since that place is inhabited by nothing more than a bunch of high dollar gold chainers with an attitude.
Why not go ahead and tell us HOW you really feel ...

I do there some ... as well as a few other sites.
I find Deuces Limited to be the best DEUCE only site going for now.

http://www.deuceslimited.com/index.php

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Why not go ahead and tell us HOW you really feel ...

I do there some ... as well as a few other sites.
I find Deuces Limited to be the best DEUCE only site going for now.

http://www.deuceslimited.com/index.php
Absolutely. With the new format its rapidly becoming a forum I visit two or three times a day. You would never think the Deuce community was that large. Deuces Limited will kill the Deuce Den on Club Hot Rod before long... and rightly so. From what I've seen so far there's more Deuce knowledge and raw talent there than almost any site around. What really surprises me is how many of those guys have owned their Deuces for decades! Kinda like someone else I know.... right Randy?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM
38 Chevy Coupe Ram Jet 502

Quote:
I have heard nothing but good about N&N glass bodies. The last one I had a close look at was an outstanding car. They make 32 roadsters, 3 window coupes, and 33/34 coupes. Cost for their roadster body is in the vicinity of $4500 and is probably the best bang for your buck out there.

When it comes to chassis, most like TCI but Pete & Jake's makes a good one as well as several others. It all depends on how much you want to spend on suspension systems and how much work you want the chassis manufacturer to do. All it takes is money.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just shoot you. - Anonymous
My 32 3 window is a N&N, and I have zero complaints after 3000 miles with a 420 HP small block, with I spank hard on a regular basis! No cracks or problem after 3 years.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Guys, thanks for all the information.

I went by Timeless Rod & Customs today to have a look at their cars and was pleasantly surprised!

I was expecting a car or two to be there, but I would guess there were 10-15 cars in their shop(inside & out front, I didn't go around back).

There were a few cars in for various upgrades as well as 8 or 10 new builds in various stages.

They had all three versions of the convertible they sell in stock.

The high dollar (to me) steel Dearborn and two glass versions (curved windshield & straight windshield).

They had the glass convertible in "raw" gelcoat and a couple that had been sanded and several roadsters in paint.

The glass body was very nice right out of the mold(I can only compare it to a couple crappy glass C#bra replica bodies I have seen). Ricky had to show me the seams as they were no obvious (to me). The door gaps/fit and trunk lid gaps/fit looked good.

There were several frames in the shop as well. One frame was painted and set up as a roller. It was a sweet setup with a drilled i-beam front suspension (all chromed).

The price for a roller '32 convertible with body (body with doors & trunk mounted, power windows installed and body shimmed on frame), top and chassis (unpainted frame, 9" rear, rear suspension, master cylinder, brake lines run, 4 wheel discs and chromed front suspension) was right at $20,000.
I might have forgot a couple items that are included.

The major items I would need would be engine/tranny/hood/grill/grill shell/hvac/radiator/fan/driveshaft/interior/steering/paint.

I did have a crazy thought while I was there. I have a Cummins 4bt/tranny setup and we pulled a tape on a car and I think it would drop in. The 4bt is loud (plenty of videos on Youtube for those no familiar with them), but they have nice power & great fuel economy. In a Jeep/Bronco 25-30 mpg is normal. In a light weight '32 I would expect 30-35 mpg.
It might hurt resale value, but rodders love crazy stuff. Opinions?
Another thing I would like about the diesel is that 20 gallons of gasoline in a '32 scares me (in a collision, explosion wise). With diesel it wouldn't be a concern.

A must have for me is HVAC and weather proof top that can go up and down fast. I have had a couple fair weather cars and they are a pain. I want something I can throw the old lady in and hit the road. This glass convertible fits the bill.

I ended up staying there for 45 minutes to an hour. Very nice folks.

Does anybody need a skidsteer or backhoe? I need to sell mine to fund a new project!

Thanks, Jim
Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

Yea the Cummins would be different but they weigh a LOT!! have to figure that weight into the chassis and suspension. As far as resale?? forget it, you build a car for yourself not someone else..........because someone else would most likely never buy a '32 with a big diesel. $20k for a roller with all the stuff you mentioned is not a bad deal but get as much stuff included as possible...twist thier arm a little.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
Yea the Cummins would be different but they weigh a LOT!! have to figure that weight into the chassis and suspension. As far as resale?? forget it, you build a car for yourself not someone else..........because someone else would most likely never buy a '32 with a big diesel. $20k for a roller with all the stuff you mentioned is not a bad deal but get as much stuff included as possible...twist thier arm a little.

Weight would be an issue. The 4bt is 745 lbs wet, that is 70 lbs heavier than an iron head BBC and 170 lbs heavier than an iron head SBC (of course in reality I should be comparing it to an aluminum head engine). It would require more spring for sure.
The transmission would also be an issue. I would want a nongranny 5 speed. Since it would be a truck tranny it will be heavy. I would like to stay out of the after market tranny adapters ($$$) if I did go this route.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.