Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   32 Ford roadster latch install (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/32-ford-roadster-latch-install-231899.html)

32 Ford HyBoy 04-16-2013 10:05 AM

32 Ford roadster latch install

3 Attachment(s)
I have a 32 Ford roadster that the previous owner had installed a trunk latch but is missing when I bought it. The holes and slot are alread in as is the lid stricker pin. I would like to install another hinge in the same location so as not to have to alter the existing holes and slot. In addition I would have to add a release cable. Based on the attached pictures does anyone have an idea as to an existing latch that might work for me. Any help is appreciated.

Irelands child 04-16-2013 12:33 PM

It appears to me that someone used a bear claw latch - and did a poor job of installing and reinforcing the surrounding ('glass?)material. I originally used a single rotor version on my '31 before installing the electric lid raiser and that looks very close. The only picture I can find of the bear claw set up is while I was welding in the mess.

32 Ford HyBoy 04-16-2013 12:54 PM

32 latch

I agree that someone botched the first try. Maybe that's why it's missing. I thought that when I finally find a latch that will fit the openings I would add another small plate behind it to stiffin it up and add more support. I appreciate the suggestion on the Bear Claw latch. I'll contact them prior to buying so I can get some measurements before I purchase.... I had installed an actuator on the lid of my model A but it was so slow in opening I didn't like it. In addition, having no latch, I was unable to open the trunk lid on a dead batt. Sometimes I forget that you just can't put a batt. in a trunk with a trunk that opens on electricity... duh.... Thanks for your comeback.

sedanbob 04-16-2013 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You might consider adding a set of auxiliary terminals that you can access outside the trunk. Mine are attached to the spreader bar under the gas tank cover - on a '32, maybe the frame rail at the back of the rear fender.

Irelands child 04-16-2013 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 32 Ford HyBoy (Post 1667226)
I agree that someone botched the first try. Maybe that's why it's missing. I thought that when I finally find a latch that will fit the openings I would add another small plate behind it to stiffin it up and add more support. I appreciate the suggestion on the Bear Claw latch. I'll contact them prior to buying so I can get some measurements before I purchase.... I had installed an actuator on the lid of my model A but it was so slow in opening I didn't like it. In addition, having no latch, I was unable to open the trunk lid on a dead batt. Sometimes I forget that you just can't put a batt. in a trunk with a trunk that opens on electricity... duh.... Thanks for your comeback.

I made up a pretty healthy bracket for mine - that assembly is still around if I can find it in the current disaster in my basement shop (I'm in the middle of a honey do home improvement project) and photograph. No promises though:nono:

My little Odyssey 680 battery is under the stereo :

Irelands child 04-16-2013 06:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple photos of what I'm no longer using - but worked great before I decided to go with the electric trunk lift: