32 rear suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Last journal entry: final pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

32 rear suspension

Have A bunch of questions on this set up inherited .. ( STILL HAVING FUN !! )

1. is this the original mounting for the shackles ( see the small arm coming from the back of the drum brakes ) ?

2 looks dangerous to me .. I was thinking about using Speedways mounts to fix this ...http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3361...emNo=916-45105

3. Should I swap out the rear springs with a after market ones ? Smoother ride ? Speedways springs with Molly -nylon buttons ? And has anyone ever felt a difference

4 I have another post out there trying to ID this rear , so if you know what is it let me know

5 I just got done mocking up a completely new front end and I used the rear as a point of reference to make sure it was square . Would I be making a mistake by doing all this rear end work before final assembly of the front end ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2996_1_1.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	19265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2997_2_1.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	19266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3001_2_2_1.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	19267  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonythefish

1. is this the original mounting for the shackles ( see the small arm coming from the back of the drum brakes ) ?

2 looks dangerous to me .. I was thinking about using Speedways mounts to fix this ...http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3361...emNo=916-45105

3. Should I swap out the rear springs with a after market ones ? Smoother ride ? Speedways springs with Molly -nylon buttons ? And has anyone ever felt a difference

4 I have another post out there trying to ID this rear , so if you know what is it let me know

5 I just got done mocking up a completely new front end and I used the rear as a point of reference to make sure it was square . Would I be making a mistake by doing all this rear end work before final assembly of the front end ?
moving to suspension forum
Old 03-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonythefish

It looks like the stock type arms, mounted on the 57 chevy rear end.
Those shackles don't look stock, I think the guy welded the spring brackets on the rear end in the wrong place and then compensated by making up those extra long shackles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Those will work, that's what they are for
BUT!
I think you need to take a little harder look at whats going on under there though, That rear spring is supposed to sit up inside of that crossmember. That big plate is not supposed to be there on top of the spring. it looks like a 32 -34 spring, why does the car need to be lifted up 3"?

Is that a 4X4? J/K

Quote:
Originally Posted by =tony
teflon buttons smooth out the ride.

Quote:
Looks like it could be 57 chevy to me. If not a 55-64 Chevy I'm sure it is a GM product. I'm not up on the nuances of ID'ing those. Maybe your other post will confirm/ deny.

Quote:
Measure the frame for squareness and use that for your reference points. Don't use that rear axle for a reference, you don't know if it is installed straight.

If the frame is out then figure out where, and you can compensate some with the placement of he front and rear axles. The wheelbase should be within 1/4 from side to side, track offset should be within 1/2".

Perfect alignment is best, but those numbers are what alot of alignment guys can work with when they align your front end. I try to get everything within 1/8" of being square, parallel and centered.

Hope this helps,

Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 03-08-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:16 AM

Last photo:

Is that a 4X4? J/K

You bring up a good point ,,, the funny thing thing I have no idea what year body or make ... same with the frame . It is reg as a 32 Chevy but it had plenty of ford suspension parts on it ... So far everything I have ordered for a 32 ford has worked fine ... It just bugs me that this car got so cut up and home fab scrap was used to put it back together .. Its like going on a archeological dig as I move through the car ... Are there specific pics I could share that would at least help ID the body ?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:20 AM

First, you need to post pictures, front view, , steering, front suspension and brakes, side view, rear view, and interior, of the car for identification purposes.

OK, the spring perches on your rearend did come from an early Ford. The spring appears to be a 35-40 one which is straight from eye to eye looking down on the spring and will not fit into the rear crossmember of a 32-34 frame because the 32-34 rear spring is curved from eye to eye, the only years this was done on a Ford.
Those long shackles are probably the result of the owner/builder not having or knowing he should have a spring spreader to install the shackles and spring properly tensioned as designed by Ford, it is possible that this is a front spring rather than a rear one!!
The air shocks and general construction back there are not the work of a knowledgeable builder and you probably should think about taking it all out of there and doing it right, perhaps coilovers and a four link, or a Posey's dual spring setup.

Can't wait to see the pictures of the car so we can tell you what you've got there.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod; 03-09-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:41 AM

Last photo:

Ok great ! Here are 2 links to my home made web page . Some original pictures when we bought it in the late 70's

http://www.thefish.150m.com/old.html
http://www.thefish.150m.com/bodywork.html
Old 03-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

It looks like an early custom of something. Lots of detail lines have been smoothed out on the body. Is it steel? It looks to have a steel floor and door panels.
It also looks like a model A frame in the front.

In Tony's project journal...
http://hotrodders.com/journal_photos...1696836430.jpg

It really does look like a parts bin special..Was that some kind of old drag racer that someone built?

It looks very 60's to me.

Later, mikey

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 03-09-2007 at 09:22 AM. Reason: That journal pic was just too danged big
Old 03-09-2007, 08:08 AM

OK, the cowl is 32 Ford, the door bottoms inside the car are...gulp...3W Coupe, so what you have is a radically changed 32 3W Coupe body with a 32 Ford Roadster windshield frame stuck into those homemade windshield posts. The frame may be a 32 or 33-34 Ford. You can't see the "smile" pressed into the side rail which would indicate 32.
This "style" of car was built, and many are still being built today, in the 50s-60s by folks who are not car people but wanted to be part of the hotrod scene. The cutdown doors similar to a Triumph TR2-3 series were a common feature of this style of "building".
The 32 Chevrolet registration was used because the builder just didn't know or bought a "title". The original Ford VIN would have been found on the top rail of the frame on the driver's side just ahead of the firewall. A five-pointed star at each end with 18- indicating 32 or 40- indicating 33-34 or B- indicating a 4cylinder car, then a sequential assembly nmber of up to 8or9 digits.
You have an interesting piece of work there that not many are left.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod; 03-17-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

Did find a rivited tag on the pass side top rail just in front of the firewall the #'s are 2589399... original tag ? See pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3003_1_1_1.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	19316  
Old 03-09-2007, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Yes looking at the inside of the frame because the body is down over the frame it does have that smiley crease in it . So safe to say it is a 32 ford frame ?

So getting back to the rear area , the goals was to make this thing safe and fun .. It drove well ( like a truck ) for many years . But now I have updated to front end and now looking at the rear . I did not plan on doing anything back there until I saw that shackle bracket welded to the back of the drums . I so at a min I want to put the correct brkt and shackle in and clean up the shock stuff and rear. Since the spring does not look correct should I spend the time mocking in a 32 spring . I am just worried that the car will be way to low in the back ,,, I put a 3" drop in the front and the car sits about level without the motor . With a new spring and getting it into the frame we are talking 5 " drop ... That would be to much
Old 03-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Again, Pasadena is right. The "smile " is unique to the 32 frame.

How much is the rear of the frame "Z" ed?

It looked in the pic like there was a bunch of pie cut welds above the rear axle.

That may be why the spring needs that blocking, to get it to set level again after a too aggressive Z'ing.

Check out the frame specs at the wescotts website
http://www.wescottsauto.com/pdf2/FR-4.pdf

see if it matches your kickup in the rear.

That would help to tell you what has been done to that frame. Then you would know if you should go crossmember and coilovers, or try to make a stock spring work..( I don't think a stock spring will do it without that block arrangement. )

That tag looks like an assigned vin # to me.

Later, mikey

Old 03-09-2007, 09:22 AM

That ID tag is probably an assigned number from the state. Be sure and have that tag reinstalled when you get it back together IF it matches your paperwork.
OK, if everything works, and there are no bump or interference problems with the existing suspension:
I would pull that rear spring and remove a few leaves to make the ride alot better. Keep the main leaf and number 2, then remove the 3-5-7-9.
You'll probably end up with about 6-8 leaves rather than the 10-12 you have now.
I would also shorten up those shackle bars on each side an inch or more. You'll have to spread the spring to reinstall them but it will make a good difference in ride combined with the leaf removal mentioned above.
If you don't use the rumble seat for passengers any more, ditch the air shocks and go with a good set of regular car shocks that fit.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Right now in my shop I have a 3 with the stock spring in the stock crossmember.

It has a center to center distance of 47 3/4 on the axle brackets, and an installed eye to eye center on the spring of 45 1/2. I count 9 leaves. I think it needs to have several leaves removed as well.

My green bible says the springs are interchangeable from 32-34, so the measurements should be the same.
I'd check that. I still think the spring brackets on the axle are too far apart..I don't think I'd try to spread that spring that far..

Later, mikey

Old 03-09-2007, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

Ok when I remove some springs and re weld on some new shackle brackets on the rear ( from speedway ) I should make sure the the spring needs to be spread to be installed in the shackle ? and how much should the spring be spread ?

Never seen a spring spreader... home made thing using a bottle jack ?
Old 03-10-2007, 06:10 AM

Last photo:

Also , you aware if any pics or journals that I can look at that would have a similar set up I can look at ?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.