Hot Rod Forum banner

32 Roadster/S-10 Blazer frame

26K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  astroracer 
#1 ·
I know the wheelbase is close but what about the rest of the dimensions? Can I mount a 32 Ford full fender roadster on an S-10 frame?

#2 ·
brentdalley said:
I know the wheelbase is close but what about the rest of the dimensions? Can I mount a 32 Ford full fender roadster on an S-10 frame?
You have got to be a troll, come on now, you need to at least come up with something more tempting to get a fight going.

By the way, I did the perfect S-10 swap one time. I had a customer with a late 80's S-10 who bent the frame pretty bad in an accident and I went and bought an S-10 frame and swapped out her old bent one. It worked perfectly. :rolleyes:

Brian

#3 ·
32/s-10

brentdalley said:
You can do anything you want, but is it right no. Either build the stock frame or build a new frame for it. for what you will have in an S-10 frame, you could buy a nice new 32 frame, and it would look nice and look right. With a S-10 frame it would look like a POS.

Bob

#4 ·
MARTINSR said:
You have got to be a troll, come on now, you need to at least come up with something more tempting to get a fight going.

By the way, I did the perfect S-10 swap one time. I had a customer with a late 80's S-10 who bent the frame pretty bad in an accident and I went and bought an S-10 frame and swapped out her old bent one. It worked perfectly. :rolleyes:

Brian
I was looking for honest dialoge, I can see I went to the wrong sight for help.

#6 ·
brentdalley said:
NO ... :drunk:

As the owner of two origina steel bodied 1932 Fords ... there is NO WAY to make a S-10 frame work with a full fendered 32 Ford.

Look at this photo of a S-10 frame and compare it to a 32 Frame. WAY different.

You can buy a " correct " set of repro frame rails and build yourself a decent 32 chassis for a lot less trouble ( with better results ) for a lot less time and money.

Here is a photo of my frame rails ... in the jig ... :cool:

You might look at my phptp jpournal on the build of my 32 Ford 3W coupe.

Go here

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=3880&page=1&reverse=1

DEUCE ... Moderator :thumbup:

#8 ·
I'm going to have to go with "nine4gmc" to a certain degree here on this one. If the OP is truly a troll then go away. If he's just a new guy that has heard all of the S-10 frames will fit anything BS then I think some of the replys were a little overboard. Deuce gave the best reply showing the guy why it won't work and the ONLY real alternative......a '32 roadster, coupe, sedan will only work and look correct (there's that word again) with a '32 frame...period.

#9 ·
nine4gmc said:
seemed like an honest question to me, some folks find it easier to move some body mounts than to build a frame with bare rails...

its kinda sad, the attitude some guys have when a newbie asks a simple question, thought this was a more mature place to hang... :confused: :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but when a guy asks a question that has been fought over on this site on too many threads to mention, it's his first post, he is asking about doing a frame swap on one of the most revered, and valuable cars in the history of the American automobile, it sounds VERY fishy to me, sorry.

Anyone looking at building a 32 Ford Roadster, be it real or repro it costs some serious money. If he is thinking about spending that kinda dough, it is a dumb question and one that SCREAMS it's being asked to get a stupid answer.

I am sorry if it was real, but it just screamed joke question to me.

"Can I put 10 blowers stacked on top of one another on a 305 Chevy?"

Brian

#10 ·
brentdalley said:
I was looking for honest dialoge, I can see I went to the wrong sight for help.

This is a great site, don't judge it from my smart ars answer, judge it by Deuces very thoughtful answer.

If you have hung around forums at all and read my response as to why I said what I said it should be understood why I said what I said.

But either way, I'm sorry I didn't take you seriously.

Brian

#12 ·
Hi Brent,

I actually just started a thread asking a similar question. You might be interested in taking a peak there:

Placing a Fiberglass Body on a Truck Chassis?

My question is a bit different though since I plan on fabricating the 32 Ford body from scratch to accommodate the frame differences. I'm pretty sure that it's not going to work well if you're hoping to just place an existing 32 Ford body on an S-10 frame.

That could end up being a nightmare. And potentially never work.

However, its my understanding that people have made this work by fabricating 32 Ford Bodies to match the S-10 Frame. Naturally the finished product is not going to be a perfect replica of an original 32 ford. But I believe that something acceptable in appearance can be achieved.

Other options have been to modify the S-10 frame. The main argument against that approach is that by the time you're done modifying the frame you would have been better off to just build a frame from scratch.

My current plan is to use an S-10 chassis and just build the body from scratch to fit the frame. I will no doubt end up using dimensions on the "32 Ford Body" that are not standard. But that doesn't bother me. I'm not concerned with duplicating a 32 Ford precisely. All I want to achieve is a cool looking rod.

I don't even need to claim that it's a 32 Ford. I'm willing to confess that it's my own creation. But it's going to look very similar to a 32 Ford. Or at least that 30's era of cars.

~~~~~

So my finished product may have dimensions that are significantly different from an actual 32 Ford.

Since I'm building my body from scratch I'm free to create whatever I want.

But if you actually have a 32 Ford Body, then you may be stuck with having to deal with those precise dimensions.

And I doubt that's going to slip onto an S-10 frame without major problems.

#13 ·
Brent,

You might want to take a look at the following post in my thread on putting a fiberglass body on a truck frame:

My Drawings Using Sketchup

I took a 3-D drawing of a 1930 Ford Pick-up Body and set it on a drawing of a Chevy S-10 truck frame.

It's a really CRUDE drawing right now. But it is somewhat to scale and should give you an idea of how things aren't going to just fit together without some major changes.

What you are talking about doing is doable, but only if you are willing to make major modifications. You're not just going to stick a 1932 Ford Roadster Body on an S-10 Truck frame without some major changes.

#15 · (Edited)
Just to answer the question... No.
The wheel base may be similar but that's all. The front mounted steering box on the S10 tends to wipe out the bottom of the radiator\grille on ANY early Ford, 1926 to 1939.
The indepent front suspension is too wide to let the tires fit under the fenders.
During jounce and rebound those said arms tend to articulate right through the inner fender to body location.
The front frame horns are in no shape (you see what I did there?:)) to fit under an early Ford grille or front fenders.
Do you see in the provided drawings where the S10 is 10" wider then the '32 in the front AND the back? Wider is not good...
Do you see where the entire shape of the S10 has no chance in hell to fit anywhere under a '32 Ford body?
Lets just say this is really ugly and time spent chasing or thinking about this is time lost.
Put your efforts into a '32 Ford frame and know that that is your best option.
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.