32 Roadster Vin Verification - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004, 01:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

32 Roadster Vin Verification

WE PURCHASED A FRAME, BODY & ENGINE IN 2003 FROM A REALTOR IN DENVER, CO. THE FRAME & BODY WAS MANUF. BY KILBOURNE ROD SHOP AND THE ENGINE CAME OUT OF A 96 CAMARO. WE ARE GETTING CLOSE TO FINISHING THE PROJECT AND PURCHASED A TITLE FROM A CO. IN THE BACK OF THE GOOD GUYS MAGAZINE CALLED "VINTAGE TITLES." HOW DO WE KNOW IF THIS A GOOD VIN # ON THE TITLE? AND WE DO NOT WANT TO PUT THIS ON THE CAR IF THE TITLE WORK WILL NOT WORK, THEN WE ARE STUCK WITH THAT ALREADY ON THE CAR. HOW DO ALL THE OTHER RODDERS DO THIS?

Advertisement

Last edited by robrienco; 02-20-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

It is VERY impolite to use ALL caps when posting. It is considered shouting on the web.

I see this is your first post here so I am going to cut you some slack and answer the question anyway. MOST will not.......

V8 1932 Fords have a 18- prefix. Does your title ?

PM me the number and I will look it up

Deuce.

1932 Ford owner for over 30 years.

Yes it is real FOMOCO steel.......

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 02-20-2004, 04:53 PM

oops

Last edited by robrienco; 02-20-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I hate to say this but in most states what you're doing is illegal. You should have a manufacturers statement of origin that was provided by the manufacture for the body. This should be submitted to your Department of Motor Vehicles along with receipts for all major components of the vehicle. The DMV will in most cases do a safety inspection on the car and issue you a vin number and a manufactured vehicle title. That is the legal way to do it.

Purchasing a title that doesn't belong to your vehicle and then trying to pass it off as your vehicle's title can land you in jail. It's called fraud.

Centerline
Old 02-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally posted by Centerline

Purchasing a title that doesn't belong to your vehicle and then trying to pass it off as your vehicle's title can land you in jail. It's called fraud.

Centerline

True.......very, very true.........

I would use the statement of origin from Kilborne. Less hassles. And not illegal.

There is not 1 original 32 piece on the project. It is fraud. It will never pass as a original 32 to any knowledgeable old Ford fan.

I PMed you back....the number is for a 4 cylinder 1932 Ford.........and the number sequence is in line with what Ford did in 32....so it should pass.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 02-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Last photo:

I purchased a title from Vintage titles for my 34. True, it will never pass off as an original 34, and I would never try to do that. In Texas when you build a glass car and use the manufactures certificate you have to title the car as the year it was built. That means at some point you will be liable for emissions testing in the future, and also yearly inspections. Texas is dragging their feet in implementing a street rod titling provision like some other states have already implemented. You should chek with the Colorado DOT to see if they have a street rod title provision. This classification allows up to like 2000 miles a year, and the car cannot be driven for everyday transportation.

Most states back then did not issue titles for cars, and if you purchase a title from Vintage titles, it will not be a title, but a dated bill of sale, and the last license registration receipt which will have the frame number on it. What Vintage titles has done is obtain a slew of old license receipts for cars that are long gone. The license receipt that I got showed it registered last in 1955 in a small town in upstate New York. I researched the town after I got the paper work and found out that back then it was haven for dirt track racers, as it still is now. You can imagine the fate of the car that I have the ID number on.

I will be stamping the ID number on the frame and body. I then need to get an inspection by a state certified inspector (local gas station). All it does is confirm that the ID on the frame and body match. I take that certificate, my license registration, and bill of sale to the DOT which will issue a title as a 34 Coupe. This means I do not have to get yearly inspection and I can put antique license plates on it. Anyone with a glimmer of intelligence can tell right off the car is not an original 34.

Who is to say that you did not buy an original piece of junk and proceed to replace virtually every piece on it, including the frame?

Vince

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.