32 'Tanks' gas tank - fuel surge/starvation? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2004, 04:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

32 'Tanks' gas tank - fuel surge/starvation?

I'm running a 'Tanks' gas tank on my '32 sedan, which has no front-to-back baffles.
I get a problem when I accelerate hard from standstill sometimes, with a minor fuel starvation at the carb. Ease off and it comes back on line.

Haven't tested my theory, but it seems to be happening when the tank is half full - and I wonder if fuel surge means that air is getting drawn in - especially as the pick up pipe is straight down, at the front edge of the tank (ie facing front)

Has anyone else had similar problems? Any suggestions? Is this baloney and I should re-check my hoses etc? I can;t fit that foam mesh stuff as the gas sender is the usual swinging arm type and would get caught

Any advice appreciated, Limey

BTW I'm running a crate 350 SBC with manual Mr Gasket chrome pump into an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb/Performer intake. I;ve checked floats, pump, lines, filters etc already

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2004, 12:57 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

theory sounds good to me. does it happen with a full tank?
Old 07-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Maybe Install a Surge Tank?

When searching Google for Edelbrock Pro-Flo installations, I came across an interesting site. In it, among other aspects, this fellow built a "surge" tank for his 34' Ford Street Rod. He uses a low pressure Holley red pump to prime the "surge" tank, and then a high pressure pump for the EFI system. You could try building tank or buying a small RCI fuel cell and build a similar system. Use the low pressure electric pump to prime the small fuel cell and your mechanical pump for the carb. Then now matter what the situation, you will always have an adequate fuel supply. If you have any questions regarding this install, try emailing the author. I did regarding my Pro-Flo and he responded. Good luck! Ed www.edgesz28.com

Last edited by edge; 07-30-2004 at 01:33 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.