Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 327 275hp rebuild
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:10 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollie715
ap72 and starnest,

I appreciate the feedback I have received from both of you. While it is somewhat competive between the two viewpoints, it allows me to ponder just where I want to go between the two. I have often questioned what I would do, if I find the 327 block needs both a bore and the crank ground, as well as the heads rebuilt. I realize I could go out and purchase a good running 350, bolt on my intake, exhaust, and a new cam and have a more efficient and powerful engine for less money. As for the sentimental reasons, part of my perspective, is I'm building a car very similar to a 67 I had 32 years ago. I'm now 55 years old, and part of my "mid life crisis" is to recapture some of the good old days I had when I was younger. You are right, it is not completely rational or financial, but to balance it all out, it would also be good if it was. With a set of headers, my design should put out about 300hp and 400ftlbs, and I'm still hoping for gas mileage in the mid teens.

Here's a photo of the current car I am building:

You can easily hit your power goals with a 327, and it seems you have a lot of sentiment over that engine.

I suggest you consider other heads though. Even the aluminum Chinese heads if you can't afford better. By the time you put new guides, springs, valves, valve job, etc in those heads you'll have $500 or more in them. If you still want to go with the old iron (again for sentiment) be sure to get a good valve job and open those ports up, they are TINY in stock form and taking out 20cc's in the right places would get you a lot more power and torque. Also, if the seats are good enough stay with 1.94/1.5 valves, until you get over 450hp or so the smaller valves are actually better.