327 350 or sb400? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2002, 04:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 327 350 or sb400?

Well its about time to get an engine for my 54 chevy pickup and I was wondering which engine would be best? I will be putting the motor from doner to my truck with no rebuild. (yet) As I only have monies for the purchase and not the rebuild. I have gotten several opinions about which to use and all have there good points! But which one 327,350 or SB 400 is going to give me easy install, and super performance and reliability? Thanks. oh and trans to use?????
plus doner car ideas with that setup?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2002, 06:16 PM

Go with the 350. They're the cheapest to find spare/aftermarket parts for.

I wouldn't go with the 400. The cylinder walls on these are thin, as they are simply the same small block with larger cylinders. Parts for these are more expensive, too.

You veterans can feel free to set me straight on this.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:40 PM
All Throttle...No Bottle

If you can find a 327 jump on it but if it hasnt been recently rebuilt it will probably need to be. Personally I agree with going with the 350...they're everywhere and parts are a little cheaper. I dont care a whole lot for the 400's. They're all the same block so the install will be to same no matter which one you decide on....a small block chevy is a small block chevy. Although if you find a 327 check the heads for accessory holes if your gonna be installing A/C or anything.

As far as trannys go, if its just for weekend cruising or your not going to be taking any long trips I would go with a Turbo 350. If its gonna see the highway go with a 700r since it has the overdrive. Doners come in many shapes and forms so I cant really help you out there...My motor is out of a vette and my tranny is out of a 75 pickup.

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: HotRodS10 ]</p>
Old 08-23-2002, 08:21 PM

Old 08-23-2002, 10:25 PM

There is nothing wrong with the 327 or the 400, however if cost is a consideration than definetly go with the 350. There are numerous cheap engine kits for the 350 as well as other performance parts. I would also go with the turbo 350 transmission. It's simple and reliable and there are a lot of them out there.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:33 AM

When we built my neighbor's '58, we used a '74 Chevy wagon.400 with a 350 transmission. Tom bought his rebuild kit from PAW, including new heads. I agree with the other guys. I'd look for a donor that runs well. Make your conversion with the stock engine/trans. Replace the front and rear seals on the trans. I used Jeep motor mounts for my '46 Chevy small block conversion. You'll need a better radiator and trans cooler. 12 volt conversion is a must. After you've got the bugs worked through and you've enjoyed it for a while, pull the engine and rebuild it or buy a new crate motor. Save your dollars until you can build it the way you'd like to have it. Just remember, this is about having fun and a good time. Keep that in mind, you'll never stop loving what we do.
FastGo
Old 08-24-2002, 05:38 PM

400 sbc's are fine. If you build them with the right parts they last just as long as 350's. The cylinder walls aren't thinner and actually in my experience have held up to multiple rebuilds better than other sbc's. I have a friend that has rehoned his .030 over 400 3 times and every time it has good ring seal. 400 sbc's have siamesed bores just like aftermarket block's do. I get frustrated when people say 400's overheat or crack blocks easily, these are the same kind of people who don't drill steam holes in the heads like they should on a street driven vehicle. 400's are great they produce awesome torque and hp and you don't have the rev the piss out of them to do it. There is no replacement for displacement, unless it's boost.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:25 PM

U tell em christopher406.
I have a 327, a 350, a 383 and a 406. I like the later the best. It revs up like no other and hauls butt. GOBBS of low end tourqe, good mid aswell.
It's been rebuilt twice now and is a STREET STRIP motor. No cracks or any other problems. Handles a 150 HP shot of go gas. Now it has not been as cheap to build...but I would not trade it for anything. (don't like BBs)
Old 08-25-2002, 10:37 AM

What I want is the most powerfull engine I can afford later down the line. ie later rebuild when money becomes available to me. The 350 is by far the most popular and cheapest. Will I be able to get more out of a 327? The reason I thought of a 400 is so When people assume its a 350 I can say no its a 400. but which one can I drop in now and later when the green comes in can i drop a grand or two and smoke those punks who think they are hot in a mustang or pontiac. Or at least show them what real steel can do.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:00 AM

well my 2 cents is i love the 400s they r more to rebuild but the power is worth the exrea money i have just built a 400 and had it bored .060 over and bought new pistons and had tyhe heads done and bought new intake and carb and etc. i have 1700 dollars in the motor now but almost everything is new not shure how its gonna run yet but should be prety quick so dont let the money stop you just keep savin til you get enough to build whatever you go with the way you want it have fun and good luck
Old 09-14-2002, 10:07 AM

well I got a 350 with a 700r4 out of an 88 chevy 1500.please see post finally a motor.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.