327???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2004, 10:27 AM
If it rolls, I can wreck it!!!

Wiki Edits: 0

327????

check this out guys and tell me what you think. http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/...53104195550.55

i could give a crap about the 100 dollar deposit.. they can have it.
my main question to the experts is would i have any trouble getting this motor into an 84 camaro with a 5.0 and a overdrive automatic. i have the money in the bank to buy this motor now!!! and everyone tells me that a 327 is what they would use in this car.....the motor is for a 67. so would i be better off getting a late model 350 or this. im not quite sure about the spline count and if this engine wil even bolt to my tanny. any advice you can offer is greatly apreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It would bolt right up to your tranny, But I wouldn`t buy a small journal engine as the 1967 and before engines were, not that they are any great problem, I still perfer the large journal engines of 1968 and later. I would go with a 350, a Camaro is no flyweight, it needs all the torque it can get to move all that sheet metal around, so I would go with a 350. If you don`t intend on reusing the computer, then I would add a tranny cooler to the car, since it`ll get more than a little hot without the lock up in use and you`ll be replacing the tranny in a short order.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:07 AM

well here is the deal. the tranny is a 700r4 with a vac lockup(i think..lol). so that im not worried about. i will be installing a tranny cooler anyway. the computer has not been hooked to anything for years. its running a POS sp2p intake and an edelbrock 600 with a vac advance distributer. the gm goodwrench 350 is around the same price. so it sounds like the better deal to me. my future plans for the engine are a fuel injection system of some sort. prolly a ripped off tbi from the junk yard. i planned on having the heads ported and intake manifold and exhuast manifolds gasket matched. still not sure on any extra parts ill need. i know i will need a new dapner but what about the fly wheel? im trying to do this as cheaply as possible. but i dont want a crap mobile. i want something better than the original. do the new gm crate engines come with a roller setup or will i need to buy a roller conversion kit. i dont want to be adjusting valves ever!!!!
Old 05-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

The engine will bolt in as noted above.

The flywheels interchange between all two piece rear seals.

Remember though, the heads they are using do not have bolt holes, so you'll have to figure out how to bolt up your accessories (alt, P/S, A/C, etc).

You 700R4 should be a lock-up. You can buy a simple kit from TCI for around $70 to do that job.

For the money, I would go with a GM 350 crate engine.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:28 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

myself, i like a 327 over a 350. there's not that much difference in torque. i had a 327 in a 79 olds with 3.73 gears, solid lift cam, a set of world s/r 1.94-1.50 heads & a 3000 stall. it took a Stout big block to out run it. i would go with a large journal set up. 350 block & a 307 crank & your good to go. you could build a good 327 for under $1,500 if you have a good block to start with & stay with the basic's. i would go with stock heads until i could afford a set of after market heads. your better of in the long run.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:04 PM

Last journal entry: working 4/24/04

406 SS
i agree w/ you totally..i'm building a budget 327..w/ forged assembly..327 are good runners and you have a 327 and not a 350-chad
Old 05-02-2004, 06:35 PM

If you are getting a 7 year/70000 mile warranty then why even consider the goodwrench engine with only half the warranty
Old 05-02-2004, 09:59 PM

well i could go for this...http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/...40104013355.98

i would have to save some more money. just curious though why would there be no braket holes on the heads and block. as far as i know its the exact same setup thats on my 305 just larger pistons. and these motors are rebuilt. unless you just mean the gm one. but its too hard to pass up the 7/70,000 on this. thats just great. and they pay for wrench time so you dont have to yank the motor and send it back. so how much am i looking at here. about 2,000 dollars total maybe more. i have about 1300 so im almost there ....

thanks a bunch for your help guys!!! err these things get confusing to me. i think im just gonna save up some more cash and get the 88 350 with the roller setup.

i bounced the sport coupe of a guard rail on saturday. the camaro definatly isnt a wet weather car. its in the shop now getting a carb rebuild because the air cleaner touches the bottom of the hood and the collision caused it to start sucking air somewhere. no dents or serious damage i was only doing 30 so i got just a bit of paint scraped on the front bumper and the rear bumper. sure scared the hell out of me ill tell you that. it spun around and tagged the guard rail in the drivers side front and then the rear bumper. then came around straight on an on ramp and no one saw it so i after a quick inspection to make sure i had no fluid leaking anywhere i got the hell out of there but it was idling real rough so i just went straight to the shop. and said, FIX IT!!!! when i get back from work this weekend ill take some pics of the rash and maybe drive to ground zero and take some pics of the guard rail.

oh yea i forgot im also buying some heads for the 305 from someone on here. i figure it will make a good motor for the wifes car. there is a junker 280z with a rolling chassis at the yard by my house for 150 dollars. it has glass and the body is in decent shape. mmm 210 horse 305 in a datsun... should be fun. i will be installing a 5 point harness and roll cage in that one for sure.

Last edited by 84_sportcoupe; 05-02-2004 at 09:59 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.