Hot Rod Forum banner

327 62 Impala Engine

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kd6j5z 
#1 ·
I rebuilt a 62 Impala 327 engine, bored the cylinder to .030 over, installed a Performer RPM Hydraulic Camshaft from Edelbrock. The cam lift at intake is 325 and 318 at exhaust, the valve lift is 488 at intake and 510 at exhaust. The intake manifold, four barrel carburetor and double roll timing chain were also apart of the performance package. The value springs in the head were also replaced. Double chamber flow master exhaust system was installed with dual exhaust. What is the new horsepower of this engine after the rebuilt.

#5 ·
What is the new horsepower of this engine after the rebuilt.
My best guess would put the horsepower at less than it was stock. You have used a camshaft that is far in excess of what was needed. I predict that the car will be slower than it was. The intake valve closes at 44 degrees ABDC and would be just right for a motor with 11.0:1 static compression ratio. I would guess that your motor is around 8.5:1 static compression ratio.
Here's the cam card.....
Performance Camshafts, Lifter Kits and Matching Valvetrain from Edelbrock - Cam Card Locator
Another thing is......what are you going to do for power brakes or other vacuum-operated accessories? The cam you have installed makes only 11 inches of mercury vacuum.

Don't feel alone, you have made a classic mistake that most of us have made. I wish you had asked someone on this board before you bought such a mis-matched camshaft.

Some of you fellows just have no idea that the cam is not a stand-alone part. You cannot add a high duration, high lift cam to an otherwise stock motor and expect anything but weak results. You would have been much better off to install a bone-stock cam.

#6 ·
62 stock 327s the 250 HP and the 300 HP both had 10.5 to 1 compression except the Corvette that had 11.5 to 1! You bored it 30 over and your new pistons depending on the deck height and the piston crown CC - or + and the thickness of your head gasket have changed your compression ( probably less now) so I agree with techinspector1 ! If compression stayed close to the same? I agree with Vinnie !!!! And I agree with killeratrod These questions (whats my HP) are redundant !!!!:thumbup:

Jester

#8 ·
No.Boring to a larger size has little effect on the CR.If you used the same type pistons as the originals & proper deck hgt,you CR should be good.Which pistons were used?Which heads do you have?There's no way we can give you much info if you don't give us the we need.

#11 ·
IIRC,there were 4 versions of the 327.A 250 HP,300 HP,340 HP,& 360 HP.The 360 was the fuel injected Vette w/ 11.5:1 CR.The others all had 10.5:1 w/ 4 bbl carbs.Heads should have been the 461 Camel Hump for the 4 bbl version,while the 461X was used for the FI Vette.The 210 HP was the 2 bbl version used in trucks w/ 8.5:1 CR,but,I don't think it was offered in 62.

#12 ·
Lets not forget the '65 375 hp F.I. Corvette....SCREAMER!!. No offence to the op but you really need to do some reading. Lots of books on "how to hot rod the small block chevy" etc. You can ask a million questions here but if you don't understand the answers then you're SOL. If you don't know what parts you have in the engine then we don't either and can't give you an educated answer. Read and Research, google is your friend.

#13 ·
The original engine had a 4 barrel carb, so they must have been the hump heads. I built the engine about 15 years ago when I was young. First time building a engine, I just too my time and tried to read a much as possible using a rebuild book. I guess I didn't do enough research.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.