327 build using ported 601 heads. looking for 400hp.... Feedback?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

327 build using ported 601 heads. looking for 400hp.... Feedback??

Hello guys Im new to this site but have used it quite a bit for research. Currently im building a 327 for fun that I have yet to determine what vehicle it is going in. Just thought i would share what i got going on and get some feedback. Let me start by saying this is a low buck project, I may be pushing the limits of some parts to save money but thats fine. Im not intending on using this ever as a daily driver and if I blow it up someday on the strip than so be it. I just want to have some fun on the cheap.

The intended purpose is using it for a weekend street/strip hobby vehicle, most likely into a nova body or a late 60's C-10. I plan on using an automatic trans with about a 2500-3000 stall converter in either vehicle with somewhere around a 3.73 to 4.10 rear end and 26 to 28" tall rubber. Its possible i might snag a four speed T-10 but at this point im leaning towards the turbo 350. anyway here is what i got:

1968 camaro 327 block, two bolt large journal, cast crank.

heads: 601 casting 305 heads. fully ported, intake valves enlarged to 1.94, chambers unshrouded. aprox 220cfm intake and 160cfm exhaust at .500" lift.
intake runners 175cc exhaust 60cc and chambers about 57cc.

intake: old edelbrock streetmaster that has had the plenum opened up and the runners ported and matched to the heads according to edelbrocks old service manual on using these for racing. i feel it is now prob equivalent to a torker 2. it was free, and i ported it myself

carb: 650 double pumper mech secondaries with choke removed i already have on hand

distributor: stock points style with pertronix ignitor upgrade and pertronix high output coil.

the rest of the parts i am in the process of getting and this is what i am proposing:

speed pro forged flat tops- aprox compression ratio with standard gaskets 9.75:1 stock crank, rods, oilpan, hv oil pump. double roller timing chain.

1 5/8" long tube headers into 2.5" exhaust with thrush welded two chambers

FROM HERE ON IS WHERE I NEED HELP AND OPINIONS:

cam- howards cams 112031-08 .480 lift int and exh. 288 advertised duration and 231 duration at 050 on a 108 centerline.
I am told with my intake to exhaust flow ratio of over 70% that a dual pattern is not needed and may hurt torque. i intend to make peak power at around 6000 with 6500 or 7000 being the max this thing sees. i would like to see close to 400 hp and still be somewhat streetable. I ALREADY ORDERED THE RECCOMENDED VALVE SPRINGS FOR THIS CAM

IS THIS A GOOD CAM SELECTION AND A BALANCED COMBO?

also can i just use stamped long slot rockers? what about keeping the pressed in studs? I dont think i need guideplates am i correct?

i am contemplating putting screw in studs, but am pretty sure no guideplates and kinda set on cheap long slot rockers.

So anyway any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 03:20 PM

oh and of course i am looking for that choppy nasty idle!! and also the exhaust crossover stuff has been filled in both the heads and intake
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 PM
MAKE EM STICK AND E.T'S QUICK

first off i dont wanna play favoritesbutilove 327s! i have a decent 1 in my monte carlo. your setup seems decent remember with the shorter stroke youll lose a little torque but u make up for it in responsivness! it will rev 7000rpm so make sur u get around 3000 stalland youl wanna find a cam wit a powerband like 2500 to 7500 with a likewise matched intake! good luck and keep it fun!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 AM

right on, thanks for the feedback! i believe that cam says 2000-6500 but i could be wrong..... supposedly the way my intake is ported its good for about that as well.... although i have been told with SBCs most of the quoted rpm ranges refer to a 350 engine and with a 327 you can raise those numbers 500 or so..... im looking forward to a snappy little rev monster i just want to keep it under 7k so i dont spray piston chunks out the mufflers! haha

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.