327 camshaft - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

327 camshaft

Hi all . I have a 1966 327 with powerpack heads 1.72 intake valves 60cc chambers . Engine is rebuilt and in perfect condition . Runs high compression over 10-1 . I use octane booster in it . Ive fitted a twin fours edelbrock (500s) setup with progressive throttle linkages mainly for looks in my old Australian muscle car (heavyweight) . Engine is internally stock just 30 though up . Steel crank small journal . Id like to fit a nice camshaft to increase performance and idle sound . Id prefer to keep standard valve springs rather than machining for additional lift .Runs a powerglide and I have 2 converters available . 2200 and 4000 so I can fit the most appropriate for the cam . Ive read that the small intake valves mean be carefull with overcamming ? I have a preference for solid cams .
Throw in your thoughts guys !

Advertisement

Last edited by theg; 12-01-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Change the heads first. The small valve small runner power pack heads are choking the engines performance potential. The PP heads have 137cc runners and 1.72 valves, meaning the power band is over at 3000 RPM regardless of what camshaft you install.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theg
Hi all . I have a 1966 327 with powerpack heads 1.72 intake valves 60cc chambers . Engine is rebuilt and in perfect condition . Runs high compression over 10-1 . I use octane booster in it . Ive fitted a twin fours edelbrock (500s) setup with progressive throttle linkages mainly for looks in my old Australian muscle car (heavyweight) . Engine is internally stock just 30 though up . Steel crank small journal . Id like to fit a nice camshaft to increase performance and idle sound . Id prefer to keep standard valve springs rather than machining for additional lift .Runs a powerglide and I have 2 converters available . 2200 and 4000 so I can fit the most appropriate for the cam . Ive read that the small intake valves mean be carefull with overcamming ? I have a preference for solid cams .
Throw in your thoughts guys !
Doublevision has this nailed. To a small extent more cam will pick the power up by increasing the time the valves are off their seat, but the real issue is the small ports and valves of the Power Pack heads are maxed out. These just can't move the air a 327 needs. You need to locate a head with a similar size combustion chamber that has a 1.9 to 2.02 inch intake and a 1.55 to 1.6 inch exhaust valve with 150 to 180 cc intake port volume with an exhaust port volume of 110 to 130 CCs.

The small ports of these heads will mask the cams capabilites, there is little risk with overcamming this situation as the ports will crap out long before the cam peaks.

Bogie
Old 12-02-2010, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

port sizes

Great info guys thanks . Runner , chamber and port n valve sizes seem critical . I dont know what would be perfect . I favour iron heads . I think most people say vortec is the best . Though there are cheaper alloy ones available (procomp) with many port ,runner and chamber size options . I dont think I can run my twin fours manifold on vortecs . What would be best runner size into this engine with a 2.02 int valve 1.6 exh 64 or 70 cc chamber . Im understanding this engine neeeds to breath better before a camshaft improvement will work .
Any more info is greatly appreciated . Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

I'd go with something small, around 170cc runner. Run a cam similar to comp cams 268h grind and run the carbs direct, not progressive. You should still be okay with the 2000 converter. Run the ignition timing at around 38 to 40 degrees and you'll be more than happy.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

runner size and cam

if i put a cam with power range 2000 -5000 do you think a runner size larger than 170 will be no value . i have my timing currently at 37 . If i was to run up to 40 like 3window suggests how much compression would be max . Maybe id need to increase chambers up to 70cc or larger to try for 9-1 compression . Fuels here in Aus have lower octane than in USA and pretty much need octane booster for over 10-1 ..
Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I agree with what 3 window recommended as I would recommend the same. 170cc heads with 64cc chambers would be ideal. At idle, with vac advance disconnected and plugged, set it at 12 degrees before top dead center, lock distributor, connect vac advance to a full time manifold vacuum source (one that pulls vac at idle) recheck timing, it should be around 20 - 24 degrees. At 3000 RPM and up 36 - 38 degrees. If your 327 has flat top pistons with a 64cc head the compression ratio will come in around 9.5:1. Ideal for street and pump gas use.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.