Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 327 chevy really all the hype?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

If you REALLY wanna be chastised, tell folks double hump heads were obsolete in '69. It's true. The 041 and 492 castings are FAR superior to the 46xs. I never liked 291... Lots of work to get them up to snuff.

It's even more "fun" when they learn only a small percentage of 327 heads actually came from Chevy with 2.02" intake valves. From what I saw when these engines were still around en masse, 2.02s were strictly in 365 and 375 HP versions (365 was the same engine with a carb instead of the Ram Jet injection).

327 is a GREAT little engine ("little" being the operative word). The rod/stroke ratio is a "perfect" 1.7:1. Those puppies WILL rev "to the moon" (AND live!). In an "all out" race effort, still a good choice for a lighter car. The lack of low-end is it's "Achillies' Heel".

In the mid- and late '60s, there was the 327 "High Torque". It was used in trucks, including larger ones. Small valves, small carb, tiny cam. All done by 4,800, but pulled real strong right off idle.

Brings back memories of my first few years in "the machine shop".

FWIW

Jim