Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 327 chevy really all the hype?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I love the stories of how fast cars used to be back in the sixties and seventies,way before we had the good after market heads we have now.
The guy that had a doug nash 5 speed,Lee sheppard Welded straight plug cast iron heads,that revved to 11,000 rpm, was compared to the street guys that were running bias ply tires,3 speed saginaw low boys with flat heads
Yes,they were fast,40 years ago.

I watched a special event at boundary bay airport in 1975 where special guest racers Dick Landy and Bill Jenkins were there for our first night race.The pro stock guys were running 9.0s

this day and age you can find street cars with twin turbos and air conditioning that run 9s.

what kind of 327 was this old guy talking about? probably a small journal 375 hpGM engine. Today that is a rough running,high revving fair performing engine.The 11:1 CR is not pump gas friendly and the 30/30 cam has many times over been improved since then.
I would've loved to raced cars back in the 60's. In todays world we can do some machine work and mail order the stuff. Those guys in the 60's knew all the tricks And you could pull up to the pump and get good gas.