Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 327 chevy really all the hype?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 05:13 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

We ran 327's yrs ago when we just babies living at home.Well really in our late teens.Ran D/MP and C/MP in a 56 and in 57. De-stroked was the hot ticket back then.Small journal steel 283 cranks,M/T aluminum rods,TRW forged pistons,Isky solid roller cam,Mondello ported heads,tunnel ram,rock crusher 4 speed with 4.56's or 5.12's.<4.56 for the 1/4,5.12's for the 1/8> Welded spiders.

Staged at 5,000 to 5,500 and side stepped the clutch and let her rip.They buzzed to the moon in a hurry.We had every second synro ground down so you would just pull on the shifter.The Lakewood bellhousing never got tested through.(yeah,thank god.)

We used to flat tow the race cars to the track and someone had to be in the race car to help guide it through the turns because of the welded rear end.

I'm trying to remember what they ran.Off hand I think they where in the 11 second region,but I honestly don't remember.That was way,way,before my current race partnership where we stopped count at 17 cars in 20 yrs where we where buying distressed incomplete race cars,finishing them,racing for a yr and flip selling them.

I do know there was a hell of alot of washed windshields,pumped gas,and oil and tire changes back then to come up with the money for the parts between one full time job and a part time job.LOL-back then Hot Rod magazine was the bible.It was all about the cars.Man we eat and drink that stuff up.Date night was a engine party at someone's barn doing a swap.

These days I wouldn't suggest a 327.We know a boat load more now and it's final outcome for the street just isn't worth the costs.

<Sorry for the walk down memory lane.>