327 cu in Ford - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2003, 02:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lightbulb 327 cu in Ford

just received my year old 2003 PAW catalog. noticed they're advertising a stroked 302 ford to 327. anybody built this combo?

i really enjoyed my GM 327. would like to see these perform side by side.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2003, 07:48 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

I've never built one but have seen it done over the years. The road racing guys used to do it as well as the 377> 351Ws.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

327 Ford?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodz428
I've never built one but have seen it done over the years. The road racing guys used to do it as well as the 377> 351Ws.
Thought I would fire up this old thread because I, like the OP, would like to see 'um run side by side.
And a recent 327 Ford thread I was following went bad.

Last edited by Duntov; 09-18-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-19-2010, 11:46 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The same old deal come to the fore- if you are gonna stroke a 302 Ford, why not do a 347 and enjoy the added torque/performance?

To do a 327 will not cost any less, and unless built more radically, will get thrashed by a 347- unless (like the same thing so often correctly said about "small" small block Chevys) there is a racing class that demands a displacement limitation.

To be "fair" about it, there are some sound reasons to use a shorter stroke than the 3.4" crank the 347 engine uses- mainly the wrist pin intrusion into the oil ring. Instead of me trying to explain anything, see this article, they make as good of a case for a 3.25" stroke 302 as anyone- http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/04/331/

But know now, there are a LOT of bad-A running 347's out there, w/a LOT of street/strip miles on them- boosted, nitrous, NA- you name it. So it's not like the 3.4" arm is any sort of "kiss of death".

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

Sometimes I want to do something different but never seem to get around to it.

I guess I'm interested in doing it because I haven't done it before, and it's parallel to the sbc.

Never did a 347 either but couldn't even make a guess as to how many 350s, all the GM versions, and countless 351s 352s 390s....

One reason I haven't done the 327 is it's cost and that I still haven't had a customer walk in and ask.

Another one I really want to do and have all forged stuff for is an Olds using a DX block.

Around here the dirt guys call them "BlowsMobiles". Always wanted to send an Olds to the local track that would be talked about.

Built quite a few 340s in the day and still have one in the shop, liked "um, but with the aftermarket stuff we've had for the last 20 years or so, it's hard to compete against the SBC with any other smallblock.

Anyway the 327 Ford is one of several strokers I never did, and I think it would have a lot of appeal to the 302 guys if I just put one out there.

More than anything we build near bullet proof SBC high torque engines all versions, but it's like digging the same old ditch.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.