327 with draft tube ??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 05:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

327 with draft tube ???

I have a 1963 327 with a hole behind the intake manafold. As I recall this is the draft tube for pressure build up in the crankcase. The motor didn't come with the draft tube and I would like to retain it along with the fill tube in the offenhouser intake. Any idea where to get a replacement or can I fab any pipe to go out the opening and run down the back side of the engine. I do like the idea of valve covers with no vents. Is this a bad idea and if not what should i do for the draft tube?? Thanks may be simple but I am new at all this engine work. Thanks Ed and for all the help in the past

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

You can easily adapt a PCV valve in that hole to a port on the intake manifold. Th engine needs some sort of vent and the PCV valve is much better than going back to the road tube.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

Definetly go with the PCV, if you like the look of the tube weld it shut and make a hidden PCV.It's a much better system, probably the first emmisions control device.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:13 PM

Hello,

Im not sure of the year they changed but the later 60s had a pyramid looking device in that hole that did connect to a pcv valve.

There is also a filler neck with a pcv (corvettes and other 350 horses i think) and a breather in back.

Make sure you use the oil seperator that fits under the intake or you will have an oil burning Problem.

One last note of interest ( at least to me)
Most people using the old block convert to the pcv valve in valve covers. You can plug the rear vent hole with 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 freeze i dont rember which, I also put a 1/4 in allen head cap screw in the bolt hole that bolts the breather down (witha little lock tight). One of my customers had a block that was drilled all the way into the oil galley below. It had a massive internal leak! Since then I plug them all.

If you put the valve in the valve cover I always look at the cyl heads around the push rod holes 68 up heads are cast for breathing slots along the valve cover rails. 67 down are not forcing the push rod guide holes to be the vent holes also (along with the oil drain holes in the head) this sometimes builds a vaccum in the valve cover area preventing oil drain back. Sometimes a real hard to find problem. By the time you pull the covers looking for oil the pressure evens and the oil drains.

sorry to ramble on
Thanks
Jeff
Old 09-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

You can either the road draft tube that dumps behind the engine or the type that vents to the carb from Corvette suppliers like Paragon, Corvette Central, etc.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by MI2600
You can either the road draft tube that dumps behind the engine or the type that vents to the carb from Corvette suppliers like Paragon, Corvette Central, etc.
I looked at the site from Corvette central(this motor did come from a 63 Corvette) and they show tubing going to the vent hole to a pcv at the back of the carb. This I believe would allow me to use the 3/8 pipe plug in the back top of the manifold for the power brakes. I can easily turn a plug that will be a press fit into this draft vent hole and thread a hole in the center for a barbed fitting for a vacumm line to the carb. My only concern is, will I need another place for return air or will it bleed through the oil filler tube. I do like the suggestions and they are better then I was expecting. Ed ke6bnl
Old 09-12-2003, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by roys63
You can install a pcv you need a chevy big block valve cover rubber pcv gromlet , it will fit in to the draft tube hole very nicely, install the pcv and run your hose to a vac sorce.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by jimfulco
That sounds like the way to go, less work for me and clean, do you need a vent somewhere else to make up for the vacuum you pull out of the crankcase. Ed
Old 09-13-2003, 07:59 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I have the same 63 327 motor and it wars removed from the origional car. The PC valve fit into the rubber groment in the block hole and a flexible tube went to a spike that was in the base plate for the 4 GC Qjet. The intake boss was for the power brakes.. This is much better than the old down draft tube which could make for a very dirty bell housing.

Trees
Old 09-13-2003, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

I copied the mid-60's Chevy PCV system for my '59 283. I bought a steel PCV adapter made for mid-60's SBC & put it on my block where the draft tube had been, & ran a tube to the rear of the carb base. There was a PCV valve in there somewhere (this was 30 years ago). Replacement air came through the oil filler tube filter cap.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:48 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

The draft tube motors I believe also had a canister that bolted in the lifter gally that needs to be there for the tube setup to work.
I would use the filler neck with the PCV in it,this way you get your old covers but better crankcase evac system.The road draft tube don't vent when the car is not moving as there is no passing air creating a vacuum.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by jimfulco
I copied the mid-60's Chevy PCV system for my '59 283. I bought a steel PCV adapter made for mid-60's SBC & put it on my block where the draft tube had been, & ran a tube to the rear of the carb base. There was a PCV valve in there somewhere (this was 30 years ago). Replacement air came through the oil filler tube filter cap.
I am sold on the suggestions and I will be going with the pcv valve as a replacement for the draft and I will retain the look that I was going for. Thanks agian Ed

Well I picked up the rubber grommet and it fits fine and it is a simple solution to the problem, then went through may gasket kit from a head gasket replacement and there was another one. These were all great solutions to the problem and great sources for me to research further thanks, hope this may have helped someone else out also. Ed ke6bnl

Last edited by Ed ke6bnl; 09-15-2003 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

Engine Venting/PCV vs draft tube

For starters let me claify that I am not an engineer nor do I claim to be a mechanic. I have over 50 years of experiance building street rods/customs.
The subject of engine ventilation, ie: draft tubes/PCV is one of the most misunderstood subjects in the modified car world. The racers and uninformed come unglued when you mention SMOG EQUIPPED ENGINES. The fact is that if the engine is not vented correctly it will blow gaskets and oil.
The '63 327 in question originally had a fitting placed in the hole mentioned, to which a hose was attached with a PCV then to a vacuum port, the breather cap on the fill tube must be a BREATHER type to complete the loop.
I have a '36 Ford w/full race 59AB flathead that has a PCV as do my '56/57 Birds (312 CID) 59 Ford
4x4 (312 CID) 39 Plym Conv. (350 CID)....Bill
Old 12-06-2003, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

My 327 also has a PCV valve with a hose dumped towards the street. I did this because I thought if i plugged it into a vaccum port on my carb i would run "dirty air" back through my engine. I assumed by dumping it that my engine would be cleaner internally. Am i correct?
Old 12-07-2003, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

327 with draft tube

I think the question has been answered very well. The most recent ? about a "DIRTY" engine is the most misunderstood part about a properly vented engine. It has been my observation that PCV equipped engines run cleaner and last longer, moving air through the block minimizes internal condensation and the formation of acids, thereby keeping the engine cleaner.

How you accomplish the deed is up to ones personal tastes, you just have to keep in mind that you have to have vacuum on the line that has the PCV and you MUST have fresh, filtered air, being drawn into the inner part of the engine.

A group of us went on a rod run last summer, one of the cars was a very nice '49 Chevy Coupe, first time out. After about 60 miles the car was blowing oil, we stopped along with several other cars. The engine did not have a PCV, nor did it have any ventilation. The difference of opinions was pretty wild, from broken rings, etc. I brought up PCV which started a heated debate. After another 60 miles the fellow was going to call for a tow truck, thinking the engine was burning up, he reconsidered and continued the run. Upon arriving at the destination the fellow came to me, we went to a parts store, purchased the necessary supplies and installed a PCV. No smoke on the return!!!!

I understand that the fellow has since replaced the valve covers with covers that have ports for the PCV and replumbed my installation to make it neater.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.