327 engine rebuild small journal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2002, 01:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 327 engine rebuild small journal

I have a 1967 Impala SS (#4000)TH400 auto. I will be rebuilding the engine and would like to know what would be the best HP and torque combination while keeping it stock looking and a good cruiser (I would like to keep the original intake, heads, ram exhaust manifolds, air filter, and Rochester Q-jet). The engine is currently an original untouched 275HP with "double hump heads" 1.94" intake. Should I go to 2.02"? Should I bore it out? Can it be strocked? What is a good cam? Is it worth roller rockers or lifters? What can I do to the Q-jet? Thanks in advance...Jim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2002, 03:51 PM

the engine you have responds well to just about everything you do to them. the 194s are great for street cruisers,I wouldn't stroke it,for a cam crane makes the 327/350hp hydrolic(GM pn 3863151 crane pn 967601) for GM now this is a terrific cam, nice idle, good midrange, and makes power to around 6000, I always use the chevrolet brown valve springs(pn 3927142)and roller rockers are good.For intake and carb a nice dual plane with a small carb around 600cfm or smaller is best.For ignition the chevy HEI with a curve kit and/or a 10degree vac bubble,the plugs are probably the large ones so go to an oldsmobile plug(AC# R44SZ or 43)this should make a good cruiser engine
Old 01-02-2002, 09:58 PM

another idea would be to swap out the 327 shortblock for a 400, most all accesories will fit and 9 outta 10 people couldnt tell the difference......
Old 01-04-2002, 10:56 PM

You have a heavy car so you have to be careful. Use the 194 heads they make more torque. You can do many things to the Q Jet. Most of the cam companys you can call and tell them the weight , engine size ,the axle ratio and what you are going to use it for and they will put it in the computer and get you a great cam. Your car would be very easy to over do and slow the car up. ROY
Old 01-04-2002, 11:01 PM

Smile

The early small journal 327 chevy is an excellent engine. 4.00 inch bore x 3.25 inch stroke with the 5.7 rod makes for a very rod ratio. All small journal 327 cranks are forged. The rods however use small 11/32 bolts. Replace the rod bolts with ARP or other aftermarket bolts and have the rods resized (always resize when replacing rod bolts). Flat top hyperutectic pistons with moly rings will have very tight cylinder wall clearance with little expansion. The stock cylinder heads casting number was not mentioned but you said that they were double hump, therfore the chamber cc would be either 64cc or 68cc (later version). The 194 intake and 150 exhaust valve size is fine for this engine. A bit of pocket porting is fine but do not polish the ports, the "as cast" grain of the port walls actually assists with atomization of the fuel at lower engine rpm. a mild cam with less than 225 degrees of duration and about 450 lift and a centerline lobe space of not less than 110 degrees will work great with this combo, remember that with a large heavy car like a 67 impala, torque is needed more than horsepower to get the weight moving. Junk the stock valve springs, retainers, locks and rockers and replace them, it is cheap insurance. HEI ignition is simple, reliable and much better than a points ignition. Defintely a dual plane manifold and since this engine rpm limit will be about 5500 rpm I would go with a 500 cfm Edelbrock or a 450 holley carb. It really doesn't need a bigger carb and the throttle response will be good. and spend the money and have the rotating assembly balanced or you wish you would have! This will make a good reliable powerplant with years of trouble free miles. GOOD LUCK ON YOU PROJECT and remember: If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to have the time to do it over again!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.