327 Flywheel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 10:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

327 Flywheel

I got a 327 that im putting in my camaro with a 700 r4.i have a flywheel that bolted to a L98 350 motor will this flywheel work or do i have to get a different one?Thanks,Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

nope it won`t work. the balance is different and so is the bolt pattern. you`ll need a older 2 piece seal 168 tooth flexplate. but make sure and check your block to see if it`ll accept a staggerd bolt pattern starter. a flexplate from any pre 1986 small block will work. Keep in mind there were 2 patterns for 2 different flexplate/starter combo`s, the straight pattern starter only works on a 153 tooth flexplate, the staggerd works with the 168.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:09 PM

ok,the block has three bolt holes for a starter,so i can get a pre 86 flywheel for it and that would work with the three bolt starter right?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:30 PM

small block starters only have 2 holes.
they can however have a straight across pattern or a diagonal or staggered pattern with different length bolts.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:52 PM

well the 327 that i have has three of them in the block all threaded and they do make a three bolt starter.now dont get me wrong i never knew that a sbc had a three bolt starter all i ever dealt with was two bolt straighht and diagonal like you mentioned.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:28 PM

if there is a 3 bolt small block starter then a picture would be worth a thousand words.
just because I haven't had the oportunity to see one doesn't mean they don't exist so anything new learned is welcome information.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

The really rare ones have four bolts.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:12 PM

ok ive never seen a 4 bolt starter or even heard of one are you serious????now its been a while since i built a chevy ive been building fords for years so maybe my minds playing tricks on me or whatever but am i correct in saying that most small block chevys have only two mounting holes for the starter.the reason why im questioning this is i took a straight bolt pattern starter and was able to use it on the 327 it came off a l98 350 motor and i used the two holes closest to the back of the block and i am going to use a flywheel for a 84 camaro with the o/d trans im just hoping it all will work together.as far as the three bolt starter i called auto zone and had them pull up a starter from a 67 chevelle with a 327 and he verified it was a three bolt starter.i just want to make sure that this is going to all work together properly,thats all.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.