327 head question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

327 head question

Hello to All - this is my 1st post on this site. I'm sort of an old timer at building Chevy engines and have built many 327's to 454's. I recently (past couple of years) put my old 68 Camaro back on the street and built a good little 327 for it. Basically it's a 30 over with a GM tuffride crank, manley rods, SRP pistons, totalseal gapless rings, milidon splayed caps, moroso pan with the scraper and windage tray, all balanced. I'm using a VooDoo solid roller 60131, Canfield 195 heads (professionally ported), Victor Jr (matched to ports), and a 830 carb shop carb. I don't know exactly how much horsepower it makes (desktop dyno says it's 574 or so), I really don't care how much HP it makes but I do care about how it runs. Now I have to tell you I've gone to the track a few times with it and I'll run 7.70's (1/8 mile). BUT, I don't have the 60' times that I think I should (running a TCI super street fighter 3500 stall) and I'm using 4:33 gears. Now it screams from 4500 to 7600 but it is down right lazy from 3 to 4500 RPM. Everytime I come back to the pits I say "man I wish I had my old 5000 stall converter". Anyway, what I'm looking for is what everybody, anybody thinks I can do to get some better lowend out of this little screamer. Will switching to an AFR 180 eliminator head make it better or worse ? Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 PM

For starters that victor jr starts at around 4500 and I think the 830 is a fuzz big. I ran a 327 with a victor jr and 750 carb 5K stall 630 roller shifted at 8500 it would go 6.43 1/8 mile (Bristol)in an old 2100 lb Don Hardy Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbn
Hello to All - this is my 1st post on this site. I'm sort of an old timer at building Chevy engines and have built many 327's to 454's. I recently (past couple of years) put my old 68 Camaro back on the street and built a good little 327 for it. Basically it's a 30 over with a GM tuffride crank, manley rods, SRP pistons, totalseal gapless rings, milidon splayed caps, moroso pan with the scraper and windage tray, all balanced. I'm using a VooDoo solid roller 60131, Canfield 195 heads (professionally ported), Victor Jr (matched to ports), and a 830 carb shop carb. I don't know exactly how much horsepower it makes (desktop dyno says it's 574 or so), I really don't care how much HP it makes but I do care about how it runs. Now I have to tell you I've gone to the track a few times with it and I'll run 7.70's (1/8 mile). BUT, I don't have the 60' times that I think I should (running a TCI super street fighter 3500 stall) and I'm using 4:33 gears. Now it screams from 4500 to 7600 but it is down right lazy from 3 to 4500 RPM. Everytime I come back to the pits I say "man I wish I had my old 5000 stall converter". Anyway, what I'm looking for is what everybody, anybody thinks I can do to get some better lowend out of this little screamer. Will switching to an AFR 180 eliminator head make it better or worse ? Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:11 PM

Oh I could take it up to 8k plus but of course the longevity of the little bugger is a lot less up there. So you are telling me to drop down on the carb size and switch to a different intake, so what did you have in mind ? What do you think about switching the heads ?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like a pretty good set up and if you can crank her up to near 8 grand then I would stay with those heads.I think you may have answered your own question though.when you said every time you came back in the pits you wished you still had your 5 grand converter.It would ,without a doubt improve your 60' and might get you down to the high 6s.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 PM
More for Less Racer

What is your 60' time??

Tire diameter??

Car weight??

What rpm are you leaving the line at, and what rpm does the converter flash to??

Any spacer between carb and intake??

Do you have the flow #'s for those heads??

Header and exhaust system size?

Timing curve/ignition system??
Old 04-01-2011, 02:34 PM

car weighs 3400 with me in it, I do have a 1" spacer between the Super Victor and carb (my apologies I said vic jr before and that is incorrect). Tires are 28", gearing at 4:33, I use slide-a-links. Flash is right around 3500, 60 foot times are 1.7's. I know I can change to 5000 stall but this is primarily a street car and my goal is to make a more lowend without changing the converter. I've been thinking about advancing the cam (straight up right now). What about a dual plane intake ? What about the 180 AFR (should deliver more velocity) ?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Tire spin? If coming out of the hole and the tires aren't up in smoke, it'll take more rear gears which will brighten up the bottom end. This engine is built for speed, performance under 4500 is non-sense. Get the zero to 60 foot times this will tell you a lot. Yes more slip in the converter may help.

Bogie
Old 04-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

You need much more gear and converter.

Lock out the spark timing to max the launch. The converter you have now will work much better if you stage and launch from near idle. The locked out timing allows this. (no need to load the converter to get on the spark curve)
low staging rpm is best.

Get some collector extensions.

What is the MPH in the 1/8th?

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 04-01-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 PM

I don't think it's tire spin. 25 years ago I ran than same car with 5:13 and a TCI cobra 5000 stall with basically the same shortblock except I had 461 heads that were ported out the ying-yang. In the 1/8th I ran 7-oh's with 1.5s 60 ft times. There's no doubt I built a high rpm screamer but I can't run a 5000 stall converter on the street ? I think my options are this, switch to AFR 180 heads, or switch to an air gap performer, or possibly even try to advance that Voodoo cam 4 degs. I don't know. Last fall I took the 327 out and built a nice 396, (my machinist calls it a truck motor), but man does it come out of the hole. Just looking for some suggestions for the little 327 to give me some lowend but yet still allow me to cruise on the streets.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Why can't you run a 5000 stall? and more gear.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 PM

I can but that's pretty stiff for a street driven car. I could try to juice it, I do have a 150 shot and that should give it a kick in the pants.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
I can but that's pretty stiff for a street driven car. I could try to juice it, I do have a 150 shot and that should give it a kick in the pants.

Your best (quick easy and effective) solution.

You should of and could supercharge the lil 327.

A Weiand 177 on the lil 327 would be boss. Thats what I would do.

You'd enjoy it a lot with a supercharger.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:32 PM
More for Less Racer

I don't think any one change of the several you posted considering will do what you want. Maybe three of them together, the head change, intake change, and cam advance will help a lot...but you are beating a dead horse if you are expecting a bunch more low end from a little 327.

F-birds blower idea makes the best sense.

327 and low end power don't go well in the same sentence, never have. Any reason you didn't build a bigger small block instead?? In order to make a small engine shine you have to rev the snot out of it, and gear it accordingly.

Like you said, you could kick it in the pants with a nitrous shot.

A good 8" diameter 5000 rpm stall converter will drive quite well on the street, it isn't 5000 stall unless you are stopped and foot to the floor, otherwise it is just slightly looser than what you have now.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.