327 Help & Recommendations - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

327 Help & Recommendations

Hey Guys-

New to the site, and recently purchased a 1964 Chevy II. I am really enjoying the car, but I'm in need of more power. Below is the current combo from what I know from the previous owners, but I'd like your opinion on whether to try to build the 327, or sell it complete and build a 350/383? The current combo is smooth, starts up first shot, idles great, etc, but lacks any top end power.

Current Combo:

1965 block (327)
unsure of compression
Vortec Heads
Comp 268 Cam (lift is only 477/480 I believe)
E-Brock Performer Intake
E-brock 650 Carb
Petronix Flame Thrower Distributor
Bowtie Stage 2 700r4 with 2200 stall and 373 gears out back

I am looking for an honest 400hp at the motor, so do I attempt to do this with the 327, or scrap it and build something else? The motor is solid (-10k miles on it), but just doesn't have enough power for me. Thoughts on possible combos are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car 102.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	65302   Click image for larger version

Name:	car 106.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	65303   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04397.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	65304  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 02:30 PM

I have been looking at this kit BTW Top End Kit , in case I end up keeping the 327. Do you think this is a good setup for a 327, or do I need more cubes to really take advantage of it? The goal of the car is a weekend cruiser with enough guts to get out of it's own way, and play with the occasional car next to me at the light.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I would leave the 327 in it if it was me, but i like to be different sometimes.

Cole
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Do you care if it is a little rough at idle? throwing in a healthy solid cam, angle milling the heads 1 degree and cleaning up the bowls and VJ, and running some good headers can get you there. the next upgrade would be the intake and carb.

If you want a very steady idle and great torque with your 400hp then putting a 383 short block under your current top end will do it.

A third option (one that I'm sort of toying with in my spare time) is an LT1 engine with a cam swap. But you'll be running EFI, which is a huge plus to me while others hate it. It may be the cheapest route though.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Do you care if it is a little rough at idle? throwing in a healthy solid cam, angle milling the heads 1 degree and cleaning up the bowls and VJ, and running some good headers can get you there. the next upgrade would be the intake and carb.

If you want a very steady idle and great torque with your 400hp then putting a 383 short block under your current top end will do it.

A third option (one that I'm sort of toying with in my spare time) is an LT1 engine with a cam swap. But you'll be running EFI, which is a huge plus to me while others hate it. It may be the cheapest route though.
Great info...I guess I'm just curious if the 327 is a good enough base to start with? I have owned several cars, but this is my first step into the classic/carb world. My current other weekend car is a C6 Z06, so I have a bunch to learn about carbed motors.

What is your opinion on the Edelbrock top end kit that I mentioned above? Would this work well with the 327 bottom end? I am ok with a lumpy idle, as this is just a weekend cruiser.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCa06Z
Great info... My current other weekend car is a C6 Z06, I am ok with a lumpy idle, as this is just a weekend cruiser.
There is nothing wrong with what you already have you are just use to the power of the Z06.

Cole
Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
There is nothing wrong with what you already have you are just use to the power of the Z06.

Cole
I took this into consideration too, but it definitely feels like the car should perform better than it does. I'm not looking for a rocket ship, just something that I'm not intimidated when I pull up next to these kids in their imports =).
Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 PM

Well, in an attempt to figure out why this thing was falling on it's face I decided to pull a valve cover to run the casting numbers. Problem solved....what were thought to be Vortec heads are actually old swirl port heads that aren't worth a damn past 4k RPM.

So now what do I do? The Edelbrock RPM kit is still an option, but I'd prob go with a Lunati Voodoo cam. I have also been looking at the patriot performance line of heads. Anyone have any experience with them, good or bad? Here is what I was looking at...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PAR-2169/

I was thinking maybe those heads, RPM intake, lunati voodoo cam, topped with 650 carb and some decent long tube headers. http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2325&gid=297

Any opinions or facts about the Patriot heads are much appreciated.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Edelbrock heads cast here in USA and machined in USA. They flat out make good power when all is said and done.

Patriot heads, cast overseas and machined in USA Choice is easy for me.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

I would swap the heads first and see how it runs.

The compcam 268H is a decent cam and will work well with your near stock converter. If you go up in cam size, then the converter stall will need to be increased.

Should be able to make power up to 5500-6000 with a 268H cam in a 327 with a good set of heads. Maybe not 400hp, but close enough.

I would bet those twirl port heads knocking off 50 to 60hp.

A lockup 10 inch converter with a 3000 stall and a little bigger cam would get you to the 400hp mark.

Then later on, when the engine needs a rebuild, install a 350 crank for a little more power.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 AM

I think I'd have to run an RPM or equivalent intake to take advantage of the improved heads, right?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 AM

Last photo:

the RPM would be better but not 100% required. The performer should work OK with the better heads and the 268H cam.

However, I would recommend a regular rpm intake (not air gap) and a holley 3310 (750 cfm vacuum secondary). But if money is tight, I would use what you already have.

Also, ignition timing is important. what is your timing setup like? initial, total, and how much more from the vacuum advance?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. As far as ignition and timing, I am running the Pertronix Flamethrower unit with 12 degrees initial and 35 total timing.

I just found a good deal on some used AFR heads. You bring up a good point about stall speed, as I don't want to turn the car into a drag car, just a fun street machine that I can still take on a long cruise if desired. It feels like there is a fine line between performance and usability.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM

I actually just came across a local guy with some modified Vortec heads as well for $400. I am wondering if a true vortec head would get me closer to where I want to be on a much lower price tag.

So many damn decisions....
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

Your nova is actually infected with some sort of bad juju...Being a nice guy, I will take on this problem car for free, just sign the Nova over and I'll deal with the demons.

On a serious note; What about some brand new GM Bowtie Vortec's. you'll need a vortec specific Performer RPM manifold. Id get the ones drilled for the perimeter bolt valve covers.

If thats too much for your blood, what about a set of the factory aluminum fastburn-style heads used in the late 80s on the TPI corvettes? You wont need the vortec specific manifold and sometimes you can get a set for around 600 bucks.

If you get OEM Vortec heads, have them checked before you buy; ensure that they're a true Vortec and make sure they're not cracked by magnafluxing. To run your 268H you'll need to have the heads modified for that amount of lift; the new GM Bowtie Vortecs can already handle this and aren't prone to cracking.

Cam is fine, carb is fine, exhaust might be a little restrictive, but for street driving I don't think its an issue.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.