Hot Rod Forum banner

327 Intake?

8K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Hippie 
#1 ·
I have a 55 with a 65-67 327 with 4 speed Muncie. I am pretty sure it is currently the low HP 4 barrel motor. I am planning on switching the cam to Comp Cams 300 HP cam(Nostalgia grind), I am probably going with a Qjet(currently 4 jet Roch.) I have a chance to buy a Holley street dominator and an Eddlbrock performer RPM. I can get them both for > $50 each. I am thinking of putting the dominator on the 327 and the Eddlebrock on a 350 that will be going on in a 61 Impala. Both cars are going to be street rod / driver cars. The 350 for the Impala will be A/T. Do these intakes sound like I am going in the right direction? Any ideas?

#3 ·
If that 4 Jet is the original factory piece then you either have a '62-'64 327/250HP or a 283 4 Bbl. both of which used the Power Pak heads. All '65-'67 250, 275 and 300HP 327's used AFB's, AVS's, Holley's or Q-Jets on a cast iron intake and 1.94 Double Hump heads, usually 461 castings.

Three different Holley manifolds wore the Street Dominator name at different times, the 300-1 single plane which basically sucks, the 300-38 dual plane (might as well use a stock iron intake) which has also been sold as the Contender at different times and the 300-36 which is a super manifold and has also been called the Street Dominator II and Contender, it's basically a clone of the factory Z/28 & LT-1 manifold. Be careful which one it is, I wish Holley would pick one name for an intake and stick with it or just go by Part Numbers. :mad: The Edelbrock is a good piece too, a bit stronger at higher RPM than the 300-36 but works just fine down low. If the Holley is the 300-36 dual plane $50 a piece is a good buy for either one IMO.

#4 ·
Not quite with the theme of the thread, but I'd like to hear how that Nostalgia Cam works out.
Comp came out with those cams, but apparently no one except you and me has ever mentioned them. Summit had them for a while in their catalog, but I don't know if they still carry them. I was interested in their hydraulic 30-30 cam.
Anyone else using one?

#6 ·
riflegunbuilder said:
Where can I find the model #'s on the Holley intake?
Mine has the number on the bottom towards the front. The 300-36 will only mount a squarebore carb unless you use an adapter, the others have the dual pattern for square or spreadbore. You want the 300-36, don't waste your money on the other 2 Holleys.

#7 ·
MI2600 said:
Not quite with the theme of the thread, but I'd like to hear how that Nostalgia Cam works out.
Comp came out with those cams, but apparently no one except you and me has ever mentioned them. Summit had them for a while in their catalog, but I don't know if they still carry them. I was interested in their hydraulic 30-30 cam.
Anyone else using one?
Why use 40 yr old technology just to make it sound right??? You are giving up 30 hp at least.

#8 ·
I have that cam in my 327 and like it just fine. I have the big valve power pack heads, a competition Bow Tie dual plane high rise, a Q Jet with a little tuning on the secondaries, and HEI ignition. It moves the 36 Coupe quite well even though I am running a 3.08 gear and a 700R4. It is especially nice above 3000RPM. The "improved" cam mostly means it is a dual pattern with the most improvement on the exhaust side.

Trees

#9 ·
Hippie said:
If that 4 Jet is the original factory piece then you either have a '62-'64 327/250HP or a 283 4 Bbl. both of which used the Power Pak heads. All '65-'67 250, 275 and 300HP 327's used AFB's, AVS's, Holley's or Q-Jets on a cast iron intake and 1.94 Double Hump heads, usually 461 castings.
QUOTE]

I'm not sure if this info is correct, I pulled my Son's 327 out of a 66 Impala and it had the 4jet carb on the factory cast iron intake with 462 casting 1.94 double hump heads. This was all original right down to every little part and had never been taken apart.

#10 ·
baddbob said:
Hippie said:
QUOTE]

I'm not sure if this info is correct, I pulled my Son's 327 out of a 66 Impala and it had the 4jet carb on the factory cast iron intake with 462 casting 1.94 double hump heads. This was all original right down to every little part and had never been taken apart.
:embarrass You're right! I forgot they did use the 4 Jet intake set up on top of the '65 and '66 250HP motors with Double Hump heads. Thanks for catching that! :thumbup:

#11 ·
the sreet dominator will work well with the 462 heads.back when the street dominator (300-36) first came out i went down to jegs and tried to buy one but they hadn't heard of it nor did they have a listing and i ended up buying an rpm.nothing wrong with the rpm but i wanted the holley.it really is a screwed up mess.i wouldn't mind coming across a holley single plane street or strip dominator for a sbc.

#13 ·
trees said:
I have that cam in my 327 and like it just fine. I have the big valve power pack heads, a competition Bow Tie dual plane high rise, a Q Jet with a little tuning on the secondaries, and HEI ignition. It moves the 36 Coupe quite well even though I am running a 3.08 gear and a 700R4. It is especially nice above 3000RPM. The "improved" cam mostly means it is a dual pattern with the most improvement on the exhaust side.

Trees
Didn't say it wouldn't work, just that it gives up power for nostalgia.

#16 ·
the 300 h.p. cam for the 327 with a dual pattern in 1967 from GM is part #3896929 and is hyd..390/.410,,,310/320 dur. per GM specs.

the 325 & 350 h.p. cam for the 327 and 350 is .447/.447,,,342/342 or .221/.221,it is a very good sounding cam especialy with 1.6 rockers.

from 65-67 or later you were also able to special order a wieand intake manifold identified by the snow flake on it,that would be put on at the dealership and it they looked very much like an rpm or steet dominator.i recently picked up 2 of them.nice looking intakes for that time period especially.

#17 ·
GoneNova/406 said:

from 65-67 or later you were also able to special order a wieand intake manifold identified by the snow flake on it,that would be put on at the dealership and it they looked very much like an rpm or steet dominator.i recently picked up 2 of them.nice looking intakes for that time period especially.

I hope I don't come across as a "Know It All" here but those aren't Weiand intakes, those are GM designs cast by the Winters foundry, the "Snowflake" is their trademark. They also cast some of Holley's early manifolds for them so you may see some of them with the snow flake, I have heard of old Weiand intakes with the Snowflake too Seems they did castings for a lot of people back in the day. The later GM aluminum manifolds were factory installed on the Z/28's through '72 and on the LT-1 Vettes, GM also sold a guhzillion of them over the counter and still does. The reason the later ones from the Z/28 and LT-1's look like an RPM or Dominator is because they were (and still are) one of the best all around street intakes you can get and Edelbrock and Holley "borrowed" :rolleyes: heavily from their design, as far as I can see the Holley 300-36 is a direct copy.......... Hey, "if it ain't broke........." ;) The Pre-67 factory aluminum intakes off the Special High Performance 327's like the L-79 are tall and have large runners and that's all you can really say for them. They had some really sharp bends and don't really flow all that well and the large runners don't help low end much. The Z/28 & LT-1 intake on the other hand flows extremely well from an idle to 6500 and works on a large range of engine sizes. Other manifolds are better in certain areas but very few do it all as well as these.

#18 ·
according to my info these manifolds are identical to the GM units but were not released into production and could only be gotten as a service replacement thru the dealership and they are from 65' & 66',way before the z/28 manifold was even a thought.as i said they are wieands.the guy that had them before me had them for about 20 yrs..i only got them because he died.

#19 ·
GoneNova/406 said:
according to my info these manifolds are identical to the GM units but were not released into production and could only be gotten as a service replacement thru the dealership and they are from 65' & 66',way before the z/28 manifold was even a thought.as i said they are wieands.the guy that had them before me had them for about 20 yrs..i only got them because he died.
That's a new one on me, but back then just about anything was possible. Could you post some pics? Not because I doubt you but I'd like to see these in case I ever run across one. Since the Z/28 manifold came out very early in '67 I would have to say it was at least "a thought" in '66 and probably '65 because I'm sure GM put several months into design and testing before finalizing the design and releasing it for tooling quotes, it just hadn't made it to production yet. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.