327 need advice, opinions from guys who know their 327's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009, 05:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

327 need advice, opinions from guys who know their 327's

'67c10 4 speed with a 327, xtreme energy 268 cam,rebuilt 462 camel hump heads w/ 2.02/ 1.60 valves,bowl ported,1.5 roller rockers, 600cfm edelbrock,performer rpm air gap, hei, headers, 3" exhaust w/ single chamber flowmasters, still the stock bottom end from a 67 c10. I'm not sure the compression w/ a 64 cc head. Any advice and hp estimates would be appreciated. bigger carb? bigger cam? I want to make 350 to 400 hp.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Assuming a static compression ratio of 9.0:1, 392 hp @5500, 412 ft/lbs @4000.

Cam must be matched to static compression ratio. I wouldn't put more cam in the motor without knowing the scr. The truck could slow down.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Well, your not quite there yet. You have to remember the biggest meanest 327 GM produced was 365 hp. And that was with a highrise intake, 750 carb, 11 to 1 compression on good leaded fuel, and mega horny high lift/duration cam.
Right now you are in the 300ish hp range if everything is tuned up well. Your compression (with the most likely 4 valve piston that is in there) is around 9 or 9.3 to 1.
Saying you "want 350 or 400" is all well and dandy, but think about what you said, "on a stock bottom end" you shouldnt try to make big horsepower and with a 327, big rpm, like 6500+.
You cant stick a big cam in a engine with bowl ported heads and a dual plane intake. The energy cam you have is meant for a mild/gas mileage type deal, not 400 hp.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:12 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginejr
Well, your not quite there yet. You have to remember the biggest meanest 327 GM produced was 365 hp. And that was with a highrise intake, 750 carb, 11 to 1 compression on good leaded fuel, and mega horny high lift/duration cam.
Right now you are in the 300ish hp range if everything is tuned up well. Your compression (with the most likely 4 valve piston that is in there) is around 9 or 9.3 to 1.
Saying you "want 350 or 400" is all well and dandy, but think about what you said, "on a stock bottom end" you shouldnt try to make big horsepower and with a 327, big rpm, like 6500+.
You cant stick a big cam in a engine with bowl ported heads and a dual plane intake. The energy cam you have is meant for a mild/gas mileage type deal, not 400 hp.

The way I read this post is that its saying GM's 365hp 327 is better than yours- which is BS on everything but compression. The only thing I would change on taht engine is the pistons and perhaps deck height to get you better quench. Its a real mean daily driver set up. I think TI is a little optimistic on the power numbers but you should easily have that 365hp and probably a little more- assuming you have decent headers. If you don't have ehaders I would get them next- it'll make the biggest improvement of any part you could throw at it shy of nitrous or boost.

Oh and from everything that I've seen flowmasters don't flow well- a magnaflow would probably help some too but headers should come first.

You have a really well built daily driver engine that I'm sure can get you up to speed quick enough.

FWIW that cam has made over 400hp in 350's.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

To the person who started this thread, i apologise. I apologise for making this thread my soapbox.
You up there, 23 years old and obviously the best engine builder/tuner ever. Its BS? Flowmasters not performing? Magnaflow better? Quench, on a 300 hp engine? Get real, adjusting the valves right will give you more power in a street engine than quench. But you already knew that.
Sorry for adding my actual engine building experience.
Between the 29.99 desktop dyno sim that is almost 100 hp off the reasonable estimate by someone building actual, real, running engines for 20+ years and the first post i made here in almost a year being responded to like I'M the dummie with a QUENCH response, holy cow. Now i know why i stopped HELPING people figure out their issues here. Twice.
This forum has become a meeting place for dreamers and know it nothings reading smokey yunick books.

Opinions are like buttholes, every has one.
You wont have to deal with this butthole anymore.

For above and below posts that dispute facts with their imagination
http://books.google.ca/books?id=KD23...esult&resnum=2
CARBURETED 365 hp 327. Ive worked on and rebuilt over a dozen. Im not blowing smoke in anyones cornhole like 90 percent of everyone on here.
look up the specs sometime, you will find that that engine in 1965, will out perform a 9 to 1 truck engine, even if it makes more torque than HP on a 95% volumetric efficiency computer sim.

Im going back to the real world.

Last edited by enginejr; 07-20-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Let`s see. In 1963 the 327 reached it`s zenith in power. The L84 hit 375 horsepower. This was with rochester fuel injection which didn`t work half the time resulting in many switching it back to a carb. The 375 horse mark was the highest in history in generation 1 small blocks.
There are a few things you can do to help power, but they won`t be cheap.
First off the stock rods are small journal and I wouldn`t trust them. They aren`t known to be that great from the start. Secondly, I would get a set of RHS vortec heads. Get pistons that match the 9.5:1 compression ratio with a quench distance around .040. Slap a larger 670cfm carb on it. Use a cam that has around .224 duration @.050. Get a stall converter to match the cam and you`ll have a small monster. Or, if you did the whole rebuild then you could find a crank out of a 307 chevy and throw it in a 350 block, use 327 pistons and you have a 327.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
First off the stock rods are small journal and I wouldn`t trust them. They aren`t known to be that great from the start. Secondly, I would get a set of RHS vortec heads. Get pistons that match the 9.5:1 compression ratio with a quench distance around .040. Slap a larger 670cfm carb on it. Use a cam that has around .224 duration @.050. Get a stall converter to match the cam and you`ll have a small monster Or, if you did the whole rebuild then you could find a crank out of a 307 chevy and throw it in a 350 block, use 327 pistons and you have a 327.
Ok so, a 1967 327 with small journal rods? Wow you're awesome to know that. You are probably the only person in the world to belive it too.
You just pulled the RHS heads out of the air? Did you see them on the powerblock this weekend? What about DART? 22 more CFM than the rhs heads. RHS Vortecs Are better though.
Quench, Quench, Quench
670? whoa thats pretty big! Maybe adjustable vacuum secondaries? That would be SWEEET
No lift just duration? So if he gets a 514 lift cam and it smacks the pistons will it be ok?
What stall for that four speed manual again?
Hey and when he sticks the 307 crank balanced for almost 100 gram lighter 3 3 7/8 inch bore cast dished pistons itll shake the hood just like a race car. Itll shake everything pretty hard though being that the motor is out of balance.

You see what i mean? I cut you up just like most of you cut up everyone else who posts things. In your whole response nothing helped him, only confused him and gave him faulty information. Which could end up costing him lots of bucks if he looks at your post count and figures "i can trust this guy"

Good luck fellas.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Whoa I love you oh great master troll. You just showed you don`t know your a** from a hole in the ground. Your a typical punk kid. Go play with those your age. Maybe you can get them mad enough to fire back.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafroyd
'67c10 4 speed with a 327, xtreme energy 268 cam,rebuilt 462 camel hump heads w/ 2.02/ 1.60 valves,bowl ported,1.5 roller rockers, 600cfm edelbrock,performer rpm air gap, hei, headers, 3" exhaust w/ single chamber flowmasters, still the stock bottom end from a 67 c10. I'm not sure the compression w/ a 64 cc head. Any advice and hp estimates would be appreciated. bigger carb? bigger cam? I want to make 350 to 400 hp.
With the hardware you've cited, you are all over 350 HP.

Tune the advance curve to bring in as much timing as quickly as the engine will take, limit total to no more than 38 degrees, tune the carb nice and sharp and you'll enjoy it just the way you built it already. Flowmasters and all.

If I were going to change anything, it would be to a 4777 Holley- but that's more my own personal preference, especially w/a 4-speed.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:19 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

That's the thing about the internet, you can't just haul off and jack someone for being a *******.

As long as you keep your RPM moderate those rods will be fine, HOWEVER if you wish to rev it up like so many 327 owners do then you may need a set- I don't forsee them failing as long as you use your head.

If you do decide to do a rebuild I would switch to a lg journal setup and run 6" rods with 2vr pistons- as for heads, well the ones you have work great under 400hp- not the best ever but pretty good. The RHS heads are better but I don't know if you're looking to change all of that out to make more power as it gets a little pricey for some folks.

If you want to start changing parts then a LOT can be changed but what you have right now isn't bad.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.