327 ran great now wont start after oil change - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

Wiki Edits: 0

no worries i understand. im not the most motor savy person so bare with me. and i really appreciate the help. and wasnt sure if it would stop the smoking it was just a idea that might help even so switching to 10/40 wouldnt cause it not to start right?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

You are correct. Cob had a good question.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

thanks cobalt and spinn i thankyou for your feed back. i will absolutly check the distrbtr for advancement or retardation because the first thing that came to mind was its out of time and then i started to think it might of been the thicker oil. cause once again im not the most motor savy person but i do know you need three things to start a motor fuel, air, spark, oil shouldnt have anything to do with it not starting..
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 chevy step View Post
thanks cobalt and spinn i thankyou for your feed back. i will absolutly check the distrbtr for advancement or retardation because the first thing that came to mind was its out of time and then i started to think it might of been the thicker oil. cause once again im not the most motor savy person but i do know you need three things to start a motor fuel, air, spark, oil shouldnt have anything to do with it not starting..
That might not be your problem but I hope it is because it'll be easy to fix.

FWIW, ignition timing is strange sometimes. You'd be surprised how far from correct the timing can be, and the engine will stay running- and seemingly running fine. But once it's shut off, no way will it restart.

Anyway, good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
64 chevy step (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM

flooding

Quote:
the oil on my dip stick smells like gas is that from excesive cranking or something much more?
be careful not to wash away the compression.put new plugs in the engine and get that timing light out like I said
check timing,even while cranking
check each wire with timing light to see if they are firing
if the exhaust smells bad,check the gas hasnt spoiled
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

ok so let me get this streight cuz i never delt with timing before. so if the timing mark on the pully lines up with 0 it should be tdc. where should the rotor inside the dis be pointing and to adjust do i just turn the rotor or do i upbolt the mounting bracket and pull the shaft out and then turn and place back?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
ok so let me get this streight cuz i never delt with timing before. so if the timing mark on the pully lines up with 0 it should be tdc. where should the rotor inside the dis be pointing and to adjust do i just turn the rotor or do i upbolt the mounting bracket and pull the shaft out and then turn and place back?
Do not remove the distributor!

You need a timing light, but you can set it by eye close enough to start it by setting the timing marks to TDC, then see that the rotor is a little before the terminal. "Before" means the rotor will be a little CW of the terminal w/the engine at TDC. Depending on what cylinder is on compression stroke, the rotor might be pointing near #1 or #6- but it doesn't matter, as long as the rotor is before the terminal a little.

You adjust the timing by turning the distributor body, not by removing it and resetting.

But if the distributor is not loose, it's going to most likely be something else, like the timing chain, fouled plugs, bad wires, etc. Do you have points in this or an HEI?.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 AM

at tdc take the cap off and see if the rotor is pointing at the number one spark plug.you get 2 tries at this as the rotor turns 1 times per 2 crank turns
If ok,crank engine while using timing light,it should fire somewhere around 12,engine should start .change your plugs and try to start engine
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

timing

well there is no play on the distrbtr shaft because of a mounting bracket to the manifold so would i have to unbolt and then turn or just turn the rotor to the correct position. any ideas on where thing should be because i dont know what to look for as far as where the rotor should be under the cap when set to tdc..
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
well there is no play on the distrbtr shaft because of a mounting bracket to the manifold so would i have to unbolt and then turn or just turn the rotor to the correct position. any ideas on where thing should be because i dont know what to look for as far as where the rotor should be under the cap when set to tdc..
Can you reach in and turn the distributor the way it sits right now, w/o loosening anything? If the distributor will not easily turn, it's doubtful the timing is at fault.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

timing

i believe its points. so i will set the pully mark to 0 and check if the rotor is pointing to the #1 spark plug if not turn the distrbtr body until a lil past the terminal? or the just the rotor? sorry just trying to make sure i understand correctly..
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Last try: CAN YOU EASILY TURN THE DISTRIBUTOR WITHOUT LOOSENING ANYTHING? In other words, if you take hold of the distributor cap, can you easily turn it CCW?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

distrbtr cap

so the distrbtr doesnt budge, i pulled the cap off by turning it ccw and there is no visible mark or arrow on the rotor but i believe its pointing at the front left of the motor. when i pulled the cap there seems to be a considerable amount of condensation inside. i will def clean it out and let dry. so if there is no mark on the rotor i can tell if its point to the #1 or #6 plug judging weather if its a lil before the terminal? does that sound right?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

dstrbtr cap

so judging by the lil metal pressure tab on the top of the rotor that sits on the top of the inside of the cap the open end is pointing to the front left of the motor just a lil past the terminal with the wires connected to it and has a contact to the inside of the rotor. is this correct
Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

distrbtr

and no the whole distrbtr body doesnt move just the cap turns to pull it off with spring pins holding it on.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.