327 ran great now wont start after oil change - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I agree w/spinn on using a long, sharp punch to work around the broken bolt. If any of the bolt extends above the valve cover rail, you can slot the broken bolt's end w/a dremel using a thin cutoff wheel, then use a flat blade screwdriver to remove it.

Drilling a broken bolt for an easy-out is always "iffy", but sometimes just using a lefthand drill bit will spin it out.

A page w/several different ways to remove a broken bolt is here. Good luck.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
64 chevy step (04-07-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I was taken aback when I checked on here to see how you were making out and to realize it actually was one of the thoughts I happened to think of due to my own past experiences. Never the less 64 chevy step, pay close attention to the likes of cobalt 327 as an example, you will learn a lot of invaluable advice from such a person with a wealth of knowledge as I have seen for myself in his writings.

To add to the damp distributor cap, after you have run the engine up to temperature again and let it cool off, take a peek inside the cap just to make sure all moisture has been driven out as sometime it can take a couple of engine heat cycles to rid yourself of moisture { after an engine wash for example is THE classic example of when this happens }.

As to the bolt you had the unfortunate experience in it twisting off, did it twist off while tightening the bolt or by trying to loosen it to get the valve cover off. An odd question but if it twisted off while trying to turn it out, its going to be tougher to remove then if it had twisted off while just misjudging and over tightening such a small bolt which in that case the threads on the bolt and in the head would probably be in good condition then. If you are just too unsure about tackling it yourself, it may pay to seek a good shop that is very experienced in this type of situation before you drill it out and reduce what is there to work with as the experienced shop may use a welder with a nut sitting over the sheared off bolt and do it that way for an example. No harm in talking to a shop before you do anything rash.
The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Chevy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 PM
He got me, like he got you

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

I was pm'd that limited time was a factor. Depending on the situation . I have drilled out the core of a broken stud and pulled out the fragmented thread pieces. Then ran a tap down through to verify the original threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to spinn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

brken bolt

Hey guys been a while sence ive read this thread. chevy is running great still. got the brken bolt out got lots of body work now. the rear fenders are pretty beat up as far as dents. ive done body sanding but never really worked with dents. any suggustions..
Old 04-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Burnin that Gasoline..

anybody got an idea?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 AM

get yourself a slide hammer and make a attachment where you can welld a nut to it. then weld the stud that fits the nut welded to the slide hammer, to the lowest part of the dent, screw the nut attatchment to the stud and slide hammer the dent out. if you don't have a welder then your bummin.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:36 AM

Last photo:

you should start a new thread in the body section.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.