327 ran great now wont start after oil change - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Burnin that Gasoline..

Wiki Edits: 0

327 ran great now wont start after oil change

hello. i am having trouble with my 327 motor in my 64 chevy stepside. i just got it up and running and it was doing fine. i change my oil to a 10/40 with lucus oil stabilizer to stop it from smoking and it worked great. i turned the engine off and a hour later it wont start it just cranks over and back fires with the ocasional ball of flame out of the carb wich is a edelbrock 750. not sure if my coil failed, or if it jumped time, or if its my carb. what kinda has me stumped it how can it go from running great to not even starting. any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 PM

check for spark/fuel/compression. use an inductive timing light if you have one
Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 AM

Checking the flow and pressure before going down the road helped me out in the past especially if new when it came to warranty issues. Check your TDC. If no test light.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 AM

You mentioned "just got it up and running", which I take it to mean its been sitting for quite a period of time and depending on where you live it may be water condensation in your fuel tank ... just a thought. So I would be checking for fuel issues and as well since its easy to do, pop the cap off the distributor just in case there was moisture in it and warming up the engine will drive the moisture up into the distributor cap. Most likely its something simple but stops an engine in its tracks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Chevy For This Useful Post:
64 chevy step (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

thanks for your ideas guys. ya it had been sitting for a lil while before i got it going. once i got it started it would jump to life with just a touch of the button. now it just cranks and no start. im going to check the tdc today and see what might have went wrong. i will also check the dis cap for moisture and we will see where we go from there. thanks again and please feel free to give any advise as it is much appreciated...
Old 03-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Strawberries never die

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

If it came to operating temp then had difficulty, the carb setup sounds bad. You set the edelbrock carb up like the instructions for a baseline, of coarse. Why would anybody not do that. How is the choke setup?

Check compression, spark, and watch for fuel out the accelerator pump. Just in case.

You made it stop smoking with 10/40. Why was it smoking. A thicker oil has no effect on exhaust gas output, in many situations. What was in it before , trans fluid?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

oh, and after cranking it and a few backfires later i pulled a plug and it was a lil fouled with a lil oil and gas. does anyone think my oil stabilizer was too thick with the 10-40 i put in it and maby blown a seal
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

the choke is set up with a pull lever in the cab and runs to the side of the carb. if thats what you were asking
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

the oil on my dip stick smells like gas is that from excesive cranking or something much more?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Strawberries never die

Last photo:

I assumed it was present. I was looking for the amount of choke door , high idle throttle blade.

An engine should be easily able to withstand multiple backfires. In reference to driven type vehicles.

Your probably flooding because of incorrect choke setting, and timing setting.

Start checking things off as good/bad that are related to the problem.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

i had 10 30 in it and i assumed it was smoking from cylinder groves in the cylinder wall of the pistons.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Strawberries never die

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 chevy step View Post
i had 10 30 in it and i assumed it was smoking from cylinder groves in the cylinder wall of the pistons.
Wait , what?

You wee thinking at idle your crankcase was leaking vapors up through the rings and out the exhaust valve?
And 10/30 to 10/40 would change that?

Not being smart , just looking for a thought process. Don't care about spelling or out of order words. Im trying to help.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Burnin that Gasoline..

i thought that if i was smoking out of the eguaust the oil was too thin and getting past my piston rings there for burning the oil off in the conbustion chamber wich caused it to smoke. when i changed it to a thicker oil it stoped smoking.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 chevy step View Post
hello. i am having trouble with my 327 motor in my 64 chevy stepside. i just got it up and running and it was doing fine. i change my oil to a 10/40 with lucus oil stabilizer to stop it from smoking and it worked great. i turned the engine off and a hour later it wont start it just cranks over and back fires with the ocasional ball of flame out of the carb wich is a edelbrock 750. not sure if my coil failed, or if it jumped time, or if its my carb. what kinda has me stumped it how can it go from running great to not even starting. any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.
First thing, reach in and see if you can easily turn the distributor. It sounds a lot like the distributor was loose and turned while the engine ran. It would have turned in the direction that the rotor turns, which would retard the timing- that is unless the engine did one of those "kick-back" deals when you shut it off, which could have advanced the timing. But my money's on it being retarded by the description you gave. So turning it back CCW a little should let it restart, but it still needs to be timed using a light.

The gas in the oil was a result of pumping the carb while trying to start it, or by the choke being closed enough to draw fuel into the intake. If it's excessive, change the oil and filter.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Strawberries never die

Last photo:

Sometimes oil comes down the valve, through a stem seal or whatever, and causes some smoking. I always fixed the leak.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.