327 small block price question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

327 small block price question

I think my 305 maybe dead in my 76 nova. I have a lead on another engine. I wanted to get a take on if anyone thought it was worth the price.

It is a 1969 327, ran in a combine for years, then some guy put it in his 89 gmc that is victim to body rot. He wants 800 for the truck. I want the engine and exhaust, have a buddy that will help/do the brunt of the motor change over in my nova, for my old small block and the truck minus the exhaust/engine. I don't want the truck, so I won't miss that, and it will be nice to have someone do the grunt work of swapping the engines, I have to fix the seal on my tranny anyway when it is off.

So the details.

327, low miles est. under 100,000 easily. Edelbrock performance intake, 4 bbl edelbrock carb, HEI Distributor/igntion, newer (less than five years old) fuel/water pump, newer timing chain. Dome pistons, and runs really strong.

So 800 for the truck, I am taking the engine/exhaust, giving the truck to a buddy in exchange for labor of swapping motor, and disposal of the truck and old engine.

Sound like a deal or am I trying to get

Thanks,

-Brandon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

my buddie bought a street/strip 72 Camaro with a 400th and a 12bolt posi rear in early 80s tha had a 327 out of a combine. he always said it didn't have many miles on the engine, but it had a lot of acres on it.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

Check the number and positions of the accessory bolt holes in the front of your 305's heads. There should be 3, and note the position of each hole. Draw a picture, otherwise you'll forget.

Then compare your picture to the front of the 327's heads. If the 327 originally came out of a truck, it may not have all the holes, and the holes it has may not match the holes in the 305's heads.

Other than that, as long as you know the motor's in good shape, it doesn't sound like too bad of a deal.

One thing that might concern me is the matchup of the 327's operating range vs the rear end ratio of your car. If it has domed pistons, it might also have a camshaft that doesn't work well at low RPM. If your Nova has the 2.73 gears that came standard on '76 305 cars, it might be kinda sluggish off the line with such a cam.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

I think the bolt pattern will be fine, all I have on my block is the alternator/power steering pump, so thats what I am looking for. Taking the whole motor, belts, distributor, headers, even the exhaust so I can cut it to fit under my nova.

I was concerned about the low end too. I don't know what my rear is off of orginally, don't know if the 7 nova came with 12 bolts from the factory or not.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

Went to the guy's house, motor is in a gmc pick up. edelbrock performance intake, performance edel carb w/ electric choke high rise chrome valve covers. runs like a champ, dead on timing, sounds great, good revs. Started right up after three months of sitting over winter with no problem. He had a leak in the fuel line, so he had to prime it, but once it started and got some pressure in the line it ran good. So I am impressed, thinking of buying it.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

One thing I am not going to like adding oil with a funnel through the funky edelbrock vavle covers.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

100,000 miles on a 69 327 is actually alot , I know by todays standards it not but in 70s it was . an engine was about done .I dont know what your situation is but if it were me I would save my money , you can get a new long block for about $1600 (crate engines at summit )or find a bare block and and start from there . you could probally put a decent motor together for not much more than the used motor you are looking at , now given you arent going to get free labor so theres that to look at to but most often you get what you pay for in free labor
Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I agree. The newer engines with fuel injection last a lot longer and cleaner than the old carbureted (is that a word?) engines.

Does the seller know what the bore size is now? If it's still standard (highly doubtful), you still have future potential. If it's bored .040 over already, you're on the edge.

I recently bought a stock SJ 327 block, crank, rods and pistons, and oil pan for $70, plus a set of junk heads and a 400 crank that needed repair. They're out there.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:28 PM

327 Good resale candidate!

Buy the 800 Truck pull the 327, advertise it on ebay, get your money back plus a little extra and buy a 5.7 (350) long block.

With zero miles and a warranty!

My 2-cents worth, rico

www.********.com

Last edited by Jon; 03-15-2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

35k total miles. Got a hold of the orginal owner, added his last odometer to the truck it is in now.

Nope not rebored.

Sorry but can't stand fuel injection, pet peeve of mine.

I trust the guy pulling it, builds stock cars and has worked with me on several projects. I'll probably put in myself over this coming weekend.

Main worry is running the exhaust, and hoping my rear end will be fine.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.