327 spark plug issues - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 10:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

i had it "kinda" running last night in the dark, but then no love. noticed the battery was getting drained, my guage said it was at 11ish plus or minus volts. so i thru the charger on over night and walked out this morning before work and it turn keyed fired right up, those HEI dist really do need a full 12 volts. i thru my timing light on it and had it dialed in i "think" and went to put my wrench on it and i moved it! so pissed!. so hopefully i can get it timed tonight and running again. would throwing that exhuast tape/wrap on the #6 plug wire mess with anything? it sits so close to the headers, the original wire on it when i bougth was melted thru from the heat, my concearn is that the silver part of the tape would make contact with the header and cause some kinda random issue?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 02:08 PM

The heat shield should not be a problem with a good wire but if the wire is burnt change it first. By tape you mean heat shield? You could also wrap the headers I did I like it the under hood temps are lower and heat scavenging is good. Plus I can pull a plug when the car is still warm if I had a need. Heck I can even touch the headers without losing any skin.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 PM

yeah it might be heat sheild, its like a big sticker i guess, the back peels off like an adhesive that would wrap around the object leaving the tin foil looking part on the outside. i'll check into wrapping the headers.

thanks..
Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM

The spark plug wire heat shields I have seen slip over the wire no sticky stuff so not sure what you have there.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM

that sounds a lot more legit, i'll look for those..

thanks
Old 08-31-2012, 01:53 PM

I just picked up some heat shield in a roll and cut my own length from the local auto parts.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:16 PM

i saw that last night online at autozone, that looks a lot better than what i used, thats on the list for sure!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:51 PM

i had it running last night again, not great though, its had a small backfire everyonce in awhile but it was doing pretty solid last night thru the carb, it dawned on me that it could be that its the choke not wired up? its an edelbroch carb. could it be the manual setting causing this if there is such a thing??
Old 08-31-2012, 04:26 PM

other than the backfire i had it idling beautifully, but once i put it in gear it wouldnt accelerate.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:45 PM

Last photo:

327 spark plug issues

What did you set the timing at? How much vacuum do you have at idle now? If it is an electric choke pat the gas pedal when cold to engage choke. Loosen the three screws and turn the black dial until the butterfly is wide open. This will prevent it from choking out.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 PM

I had the total timing at about 36*. Should I dial it back then wire up the choke? Also it looks like I have an old cast iron edelbrock intake, should I be running a carb spacer on it? I don't have anything at the moment to measure the vacuum, it's a 1406 carb, should the dist vacuum line be coming from the drivers side of the carb or the passenger side? I've read both, does that matter? Going to get carb cleaner tomorrow and check for vac leaks as well.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 PM

I also noticed that when I was timing it that when I let go of the dist it slowly turned back counter clockwise while the engine was running?
Old 09-01-2012, 12:50 AM

Last photo:

327 spark plug issues

Is this a 70 Nova that the 327 is in? The early model GM cars had 2 wires connected to the + side of the coil. I believe there were yellow and brown, can't remember. The brown wire ran from the ignition switch to the + coil and the yellow wire ran from the solenoid to the + coil. The ignition switch wire is a resistor wire that reduces voltage to 8-9 volts after the engine is cranked. The yellow wire from the solenoid supplied +12 volts for starting. Once you turn loose of the key to the run position the solenoid circuit is closed and you run on the resistor wire from the ignition switch. This kept the points from burning up from +12 volts all the time. With a HEI distributor the ignition (Brown) wire needs to be replaced and disconnect the yellow wire (not needed). If it will not start splice the yellow wire and the ignition switch wire together and install to BAT on distributor cap. Run a wire from the blade terminal under ignition in the fuse box to the +bat on the HEI distributor cap. I noticed you said you set the total timing at about 36*, I thought you said you just had an old school timing light with no advance knob. Anyway try setting it back on 36* with the vacuum hose on the distributor disconnected and plugged. Use a distributor wrench to tighten the bolt until you cannot move the distributor or it will not move on its on. Now check the initial should be 12-16*. Plug the vacuum line back to the distributor. Make sure the port you use has vacuum at idle. You really need a vacuum gauge to tune the carburetor. They are about $25 bucks at Autozone.

Last edited by cdminter59; 09-01-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:51 AM

ill check that situation out and see. i do just have an old school light, i had my wife get in and hold it at 3500 rpm's while i was timing it. is that not correct?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

327 spark plug issues

I'm trying to understand the way you set the total advance. If you have the initial setting at 10-12* BTDC when increasing engine rpms don't the balancer line go completely off the scale? There is no way to accurately know what the timing is. If you had the timing light with the built-in advance you would turn the knob until it brings the balancer line back to zero. Then read the scale on the timing light which should read at 36*.This cannot be accomplish without the built-in advance.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.