327 starter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

327 starter

I haveve just dropped in my engine and transmission. 327 small block and TH350. i have everything hooked up right i just have a question about the starter... when i go to turn the key the starter to me sounds like its hitting the flexplate and grinding the teeth... should i buy a new aftermarket starter or put shims on the starter?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Was you running this combo previously or have you just now pieced it together? I ask since there are 2 starters that operate off 2 flexplate sizes.
The small 12 inch 153 tooth flexplate uses a starter with a pattern that's straight across. The large 14 inch 168 tooth flexplate uses a starter with a staggerd pattern. If these are used mismatched it can cause a problem as you've discribed. I'll also ask is the starter tightened good? Were the correct shouldered bolts with a knurled section used? Also make sure there are no washers on the bolts. I learned from my mistakes years ago, tighten the starter bolts to 35 ft lbs. Make sure you have excellant grounds also.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision View Post
Was you running this combo previously or have you just now pieced it together? I ask since there are 2 starters that operate off 2 flexplate sizes.
The small 12 inch 153 tooth flexplate uses a starter with a pattern that's straight across. The large 14 inch 168 tooth flexplate uses a starter with a staggerd pattern. If these are used mismatched it can cause a problem as you've discribed. I'll also ask is the starter tightened good? Were the correct shouldered bolts with a knurled section used? Also make sure there are no washers on the bolts. I learned from my mistakes years ago, tighten the starter bolts to 35 ft lbs. Make sure you have excellant grounds also.
the starter and flexplate are matching to the transmission the only difference is the engine. a buddy of mine told me to shim it 40 and it fixed it but now the engine wont start (never started after new gaskets) and everyone told me timing. i kinda forgot to install the dist. on compression stroke of #1 cylinder. could it be the dist.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.