327 truck engine ??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2002, 11:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 327 truck engine ???

I know where I can get a 327 from a 2 ton truck( not just a pickup) that I'd like to put in my 63 Impala but I was concerned about it being a truck engine. Wouldn't it be different than a car engine? I was wondering if the crank or rods might be different to get more low end torque or something. This engine only has about 1000 miles on a fresh overhaul and I thinbk I could get it well worth the money. Anybody got any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2002, 06:10 AM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Frist of all , i don`t think the 327 came in 2 ton trucks? So my guess is that the engine came out of something else. Check the casting numbers, and then the suffix coding on the front pad. You can find out what it did come out of that way. As for it being a 327 truck engine, i don`t see a problem at all. Their great motors, car or truck.
Slider in Wa
Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

yes this is a really old post but wow the crazy misinformation boggles me

im sorry but yes the 2bbl steel crank 327 came in billions of 2 ton trucks, 68-73 years

i jut had a 68 C-60 it was also 327 2bbl

VERY common

[why do you think they didnt get 327 ?

i am so amused

wow..

ppl who dont know what they are talking about never cease to spill false info out

it bothers me sometimes

these truck engines from 1/2 ton on up were called the hi-torque and were lots more torque than the car turbo fire engines, and were less hp though, and lower C.R.

but usually were steel crank, almost always

this should help out others hopefully, even right now

good luck
Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

"im sorry but yes the 2bbl steel crank 327 came in billions of 2 ton trucks, 68-73 years"
Talk about misinformation..... The last 327 was produced in '69.....
JA
Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 AM

He is right, 327's came in almost every vehicle Chevy made from late 63 through 69. If it is the original truck engine it "could be" a small journal crank 327. All early (pre-1968) small journal 327's have a 2.300 Size main and 2.00 rods journals with a stoke of 3.25".. all small jounal cranks are Forged steel. This engine was made up to 1967, late 1967 327's produced for the 1968 model year now changed and had large journal crankshafts 2.450 main and 2.100 rods but still 3.25 stroke. The 350 crank shares the same journal size as the late 327 but the 350 has an increased stroke length of 3.48". All late large journal 327 cranks are cast. I have never seen a stock GM forged 3.25 stroke large jounal 327 crank. A lot of the Early 327 blocks were very durable as the factory used more nickel when casting the block which made them harder on the rockwell scale and less prone to wear. It is possible that the Gm commercial truck division may have used small journal 327 engines after 1969 but I have never seen one. Check the casting numbers and you will know for sure. Any 327 is a good buy, they are a good engine!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I remember reading somewhere that there were large journal forged cranks made for the 'Vettes. I've never seen one and can't confirm that.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.