327 upgrade.....any ideas in the 2-3 grande range? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

327 upgrade.....any ideas in the 2-3 grande range?

I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here guys. I just bought a 66 Chevelle with the original 327 which is a very nice 98% original/restored car but I would like a bit more power. It has been upgraded in the following fashion: (was not an L79)
-Double Hump heads
-268 duration 454 lift Cam
-Roller Rockers
-Demon 650 Carb
-GM 373 ring and pinion gear set

He says it makes 350hp??? Not sure, but what do you all think? Any ideas on boosting this up without spending my lottery winnings would be great. What would a different manifold and headers do? Thx-Gator

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 01:12 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

How original do you want to keep this? What are you trying to change about the performance?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorNats View Post
I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here guys. I just bought a 66 Chevelle with the original 327 which is a very nice 98% original/restored car but I would like a bit more power. It has been upgraded in the following fashion: (was not an L79)
-Double Hump heads
-268 duration 454 lift Cam
-Roller Rockers
-Demon 650 Carb
-GM 373 ring and pinion gear set

He says it makes 350hp??? Not sure, but what do you all think? Any ideas on boosting this up without spending my lottery winnings would be great. What would a different manifold and headers do? Thx-Gator
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold will make more power 1500 to 6000 than any other 4-bbl manifold, including single plane models. If you want to redline the "cool" factor, use an Edelbrock Performer RPM 2-4 bbl intake with another 650....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...make/chevrolet

Use headers with 1 5/8" primary tube diameter, minimum 3/8" thick header flanges, long tube (~30") with mufflers of your choice. Install H or X pipe before the mufflers, with pipes out to the rear bumper to avoid resonant noise that will make you crazy after a short time.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
GatorNats (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 01:21 PM

I agree with Tech,good quality headers are the best place to start. Use a quality 2 1/2 or 3 inch exhaust system,it will sound great.If you want to change the heads,then expect to spend about 1200 for good aluminum heads for a 327.
Ideally 180 AFRs but they are expensive
Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 PM

327 upgrades

How much increase do you think the edlebrock manifold and headers will make? 10-15hp? Thx guys Ill start there. As far as keeping it original hummm? That is a tough question because I started my search for a big block car and saw this small block restored and at a good price. I couldn't let it go. I guess I would say I would keep all the parts and keep upgrades to a minimum. I've also considered just mothballing the 327 and buying a crate motor. I'm not in a rush. Thank you all for the responses!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:40 PM

first,nothing wrong with a 327
headers increase the power all through the RPM range.depends on health of engine how many horses you will get.the intake will add 10 or more.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorNats View Post
How much increase do you think the edlebrock manifold and headers will make? 10-15hp? Thx guys Ill start there. As far as keeping it original hummm? That is a tough question because I started my search for a big block car and saw this small block restored and at a good price. I couldn't let it go. I guess I would say I would keep all the parts and keep upgrades to a minimum. I've also considered just mothballing the 327 and buying a crate motor. I'm not in a rush. Thank you all for the responses!
Playing with the DynoSim software has taught me that a high-rise, dual-plane intake manifold and a good set of long-tube, tuned headers, together with a non-restrictive air filter system (14" x 4") will add ~50 hp to the motor. Maximizing your ignition curve will wake the motor up also. Verify your harmonic damper with the information given here......
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...op_dead_center

You didn't say specifically, but I'm assuming you're using this cam and lifters.....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...10-2/overview/
If that's the case, dial 12 degrees in at the crank and an additional 24 degrees in the weights, all in by 2800 rpm's.

Last edited by techinspector1; 10-07-2013 at 02:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
GatorNats (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

A set of headers will help get the exhaust pushed out if there was a restriction before. Don't go crazy spending on headers. Going from one brand 1 5/8th set to another on the dyno made little difference. Not sure that you will notice much of any difference. Is 10 hp noticeable in a full size? Work out a goal and put together a package to get you there.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Don't go crazy spending on headers. Going from one brand 1 5/8th set to another on the dyno made little difference.
I agree that there will be little difference between two brands of 1 5/8" headers. It's the amount of metal used in making them that makes the difference. Minimum 3/8" thickness flanges will prevent the flanges from curling up from the heat and spitting out the gaskets. If somebody made a set with 1/2" flanges, I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:54 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

check your compression, leak down, and tune. There's likely a lot of power right there.

After that I would install a MS unit for data logging purposes, and upgrade to EFI if/when you get the notion to.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

Go ahead & price out a retro roller cam setup befor you spend your budget on other goodys.It's a little early to determine the specs,but,go ahead & set that money to the side & consider it spent.That alone is @ least a 10 HP gain along with so many other benefits.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

I agree with Richard and Vinnie on this one, a performer RPM, a good set of long tubes and then the right tune up, timing and Carb etc. If the cam is older and been in awhile I might step up to a good set of 1.6 rockers for a little more lift. You can always re-use them when you step up to a roller cam later.
Assumig the set up, ie: Carb and timing isn't perfect now , the intake, headers and rockers along with the RIGHT TUNE will make a noticeable gain you will feel without spending your 2-3 grand. Save that and build a 383 so when the 327 gets dull again you can mothball it and give it some cubes for a heavy car.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

A few yrs ago we did a frame off resto of 69 Chevelle.The guy's father insisted he not do any mod's to the number's match power train other than a rebuild.So what he did was a separate engine/trans/rear-end combo setting aside the numbers match one that was totally rebuilt.He also bought a cowl glass hood for it painted it the same color as the rest of the car setting aside the original hood.
We built him a 400 that is a beast for him to have fun with and he got a 400 trans and had it rebuilt using TCI rebuilt kit with a matching T/C from TCI.Then with the second rear-end which is a 12 bolt posti 4.11's he is all set with the best of both worlds.
Did he do this over nite??. Nope.It took him yrs. But that is what the word "project" on cars is all about.
Last I heard Kenny was now working a a BBC stroker for his car still keeping the 400 and the numbers matching power train too.I know that he is having a ball working on his car.Sharp super clean looking car car too.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
first,nothing wrong with a 327
headers increase the power all through the RPM range.depends on health of engine how many horses you will get.the intake will add 10 or more.
The cool thing about a 327 is he can build it into a numbers matching 383, that will solve his mid range power issue and look just like a 327 doing it. All without a raucous cam, extreme compression, or stiff rear gears.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (10-11-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Really nice cnc'd heads. Afr, Speier, dart. Something newer in the head department. Headers and intake (long tubes & Edelbrock rpm style).

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.