327 vs 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 06:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

327 vs 350

I know very little about engines but I do know I want a 327 with double hump heads. But like some money is a matter. Alot of people I talk to say I need to stick with a 350 it's cheaper and parts are more common since after all what ever engine I find will probably have to be rebuilt. Does it cost more money to have a 327 rebuilt or a 350?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Part for part they should be the same. If you want to keep everything orginal then the 350 will probably be cheaper since the parts arent as rare. Its pretty hard to find 327 stuff. At least it is around here it is. Personally I would go with the 350. Its easier to find things.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:48 PM
The lean mean donut machine

Last photo:

327's are great engines if you are circle track racing at 8000 RPM, but for the street it is a much better idea to build a 350, or better yet a 383. The parts are not significantly different in cost from a 327 to a 350, so it is logical to build a larger displacement motor so you get more power at lower RPMs where street engines function most. Unless you are after fuel economy, you will be much happier with the added low speed torque of a larger motor. You can get some double hump casting heads on ebay most of the time for very cheap, and they will work well on a 350 to about 350 HP. If you are after maximum power from this motor for the least cost, a mildly built 350 will likely cost less to build than a hotter 327 making the same power.

Do you already have parts for this motor, or are you building it from scratch?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

I plagiarized this from the knowledge base............Q: Is a 327 Chevy a better performance engine than a 350?

This is a big misconception. First of all, let me repeat the old saying "there's no replacement for displacement". In other words, if a basic performance engine makes say, 1 HP per cubic inch, then it's pretty obvious that a 350, with 23 more cubic inches is inherently going to make 23 more HP than it's smaller cousin, the 327. Both the 327 and 350 have 4" bores. The 327 has a small 3.250" stroke and the 350 has a longer 3.480" stroke. With that, you take into consideration engine physics, and consider that the extra 23 cubic inches of the 350 is all via the crankshaft stroke, and you automatically gain more torque on a logarithmic scale than if it were 23 cubic inches by bore size alone.

Ok then, now you're probably saying, "well, the 327's in the early 60's were rated at 365HP carbureted, and 375HP with the Rochester Fuel Injection system, and the 350's didn't make that much power at all“. OK, let's think about that for a minute; The 327 was the a popular Corvette engine and there was no such thing as a 350 until late 1968, and when the 350's did finally come-out, most were in mild cars such as Grama's big old Caprice or Dad's truck, and it wasn't really until the 1971 LT-1 Z/28 350 rated at 370HP before the 350 got it's real reputation as being a performance engine. The bottom line here is simple, no matter what you do to a 327, if you do the same thing to a 350, it WILL make more horsepower and torque than a 327, period. The same thing goes with ANY engine when comparing cubic inches and power, especially when you are talking about making more torque with longer strokes.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:36 AM

Sorry to but in I'm a newbie here

Sorry but I have a question that pertains to the last few posts. Does this apply to ford motors aswell. Such as the 289 compared to the 302. I've always heard that the 289 was a much better motor than the 302 referring to performance i assumed. I know some street Mustangs and T-birds have 302's with 289 heads. Trust me I don't know a whole lot was just curious on everyone elses aspects besides I'm young and still learning and don't own my own muscle car yet but I own a suburban with a 350 that was a project for me to get familiar with the older carberuted engines which it was fuel injected i swaped it with an aluminum intake and 650 double pumper holley 4bbl. now i'm stucky driving it daily. Just wanted to know what everyone has to say about the 289 vs. 302 also if anyone had any information on the 427 compared to the 460?
Old 01-14-2005, 06:49 AM

Last photo:

The only real difference between a 327 and a 350 is the crank and pistons. And some 327's had smaller journal rods. But the cost to resurface/replace these parts are about the same. However, the extra stroke of a 350 will come in handy on the street (just as most people say). FYI, a 383 stroker crank will fit in the 327 block for even more street torque.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

for the cost of stroker cranks these days, I wouldn't bother building a 327 or a 350.

K
Old 01-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

[QUOTE]"there's no replacement for displacement".[/QUOTE

Except for more gear.

Can't forget it.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

no replacement for displacement

This axium will hold true for just about any engine you care to come across. Granted there are some limitations, to consider, but as a general rule, its hard to beat, that being that all else is equal.

To Arcon Racing, the misconception that the 289 is a better engine for racing than a 302 is just that. A misconseption. If in fact, the 289 had been a superior engine, then the 302 would have died on the vine.
The 289 does have a slight, very slight advantage of turing a wee bit higher rpm due to a greater bore stroke ratio, but when you boil it all down, thats not any advantage.
The reason a lot of guys run 289 heads, is that for many years, from about 74 on up to the mid 80's, SBF heads were totally inept for exhaust flow. Stock Winsor heads have a severe problem in stock trim for exhaust flow from the get go, even way back when.
I have built and been around both hotted up 289's and 302's and have found that for my money, I will go with the 302, as it does produce better bottom end torque, and will rev just as high, in 99% of the situations as a 289. Its amazing what that 1/8th inch increase in stroke will do to your power curve.
I have seen comparitive dyno readouts on both engines and from the figures Ive seen, a 302 will have the advantage in power out put every time, and considerably more so. This can be surprising when you consider that there is only 13 cubic inches difference.
Turning stratospheric RPM isnt the only way to make power.
For instance, with all being equal, a 347 stroker will put out as much hp and at a lower rpm than a 302, and have bucket loads more bottom end and midrange power in the process.
I have a 351W that dynoed at 398 HP at 5500 RPM, with closed exhaust. To produce that with a same state of tune 302, would require over another 1000 RPM.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:24 PM

Thanks

Thanks Max Kieth for clearing it up for me. Yes I beleive it is a misconception as I said above it was just hear say and the thing about the heads back then sounds like a good reason to resort to other small block ford heads.

Just for curiousity what is your 351W in. I love those motors my dad had a 73 mach1 with a 351w it ran in the mid 12's
Old 01-14-2005, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

351W

Currently its sitting on an engine stand in my garage. up til last february it was in a pro street 57 Anglia.

351W bored 30 over flattops, Twisted Wedge heads, 9.4:1 compression, custom ground 230/235 degree, 510/515 lift solid lifter 106 degr lobe sep. Edelbrock Performer intake, Mallory Dual point, 1 5/8ths primary tube headers, 1850 series 600 CFM body on 83310 series 750 CFM baseplate.
Crane 1.6 Roller Rockers.

Last edited by Max Keith; 01-14-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:44 PM

A pure real 327 is a collector engine. you can get big bucks out of one from some guy who is trying to build the killer trophy collector car.
A 350 is the current workhorse of the hobby car world. I would stick with the ones prior to 1985, unless you want to fight the electronics of the modern modular fuel injected ones.
The nice thing about a 350 is that you can buy a good quality rebuild kit for under $300. Every auto machine shop in the country already has the settings on their machines to do the work on one.
As for 289, VS 302, again 289 is the collector engine, sell it to some guy with a Falcon Sprint or Rustang who wants a killer trophy machine.
Watch your 302's because there are a whole lot of them, and once you get past the exterior appearance, they are as different internally as a 302 Vs a 351. Check the casting numbers, because you want one out of a Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Town Car, or full sized Truck. The ones that came out of the Grenades, Foulmounts, and Rustangs are light duty, and not any good. You also want to watch C-4 transmissions, because there is a heavy duty one and a light duty one. Needless to say, you want the heavy duty one.`
Old 01-14-2005, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

generalizations

Gee, I thought this was a place to civily discuss building engines and how to get the best out of them, not see childish comments about any one particular brand, especially when they are made from ignorance, and prejudice.

Just too bad you dont know a thing about Ford engines and transmissions, other than to make erronious remarks about them.

Arcon Racing, I will PM you on differences between the 427 and 460.

Last edited by Max Keith; 01-14-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:33 PM

Actually, I had all of them as new ones, that fell apart in Illinois weather and secondary roads. Mine were fleet cars, and I knew many people who had similar cars--hense the names, because they tended to A) RUST, B) blow up, and C) metal fatigue the rear suspension mounts of the body, and fall apart. From about 1974 until 1985, the company was getting about a year or about 75,000 miles out of a base cost car before it was no longer usable. You have to realize, that at an insurance company, getting tickets, or actually wrecking the company car is not a good career move. They discovered that they could get a full sized Ford to go over 100,000 before they had to do anythng other than a set of tires and brakes. I have also been getting them out of junk yards for years, and discovered that there are a lot of differences between the various 302's, and C-4's, when you decide to buy a remanufactured one rather than spend the time to do it yourself, because you needed the truck.
I had the engine damper come off the front of a 302 with a little over 140,000 miles on it, and believe me, it made mess under the hood. It brought about 2 inches of crank with it. My boss was riding with me, so you know I was not doing anything spectacular.
You hear the voice of experience.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

Voice of experience

Oh well, for starts it sounds like your company has a very poor maintainance program for starter. Maybe they should hire a real mechanic, and it helps to wash a car once in a while, any car, and not just on the topside.
And since I live in very similar weather conditions just on the west bank of the Mississippi, and never had those problems, and with the Handle you have chosen, you just dont have any credibility with me.
Ive driven most every brand made at one time or another, and have gotten, for the vast majority of it, very good service out of Fords. Ive also had some clunkers, as well as in other brands.
Each to his own. Im not a fan of GM cars but I dont sit around and make childish remarks about them, as being a true hotrodder and motorhead, I will work on any of them, and my goal here is to help pass on what I have learned as far as getting the most out of an engine, regardless whether its a flathead Nash 6, or a V-10 Viper. I also come here to learn from others about what they have done to other brands of engines, that I am not all that familiar with.
That is the intent of this entire website.
If your idea is to critisize other brands, especially to sit around and as I said previously, to give out erroneous information, then you might well be served going to a brand specific web site where you can sit around and stroke each others egos.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.