Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

327 vs. 350

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  C#3VyB0y 
#1 ·
I was wondering which engine i should build for my '72 Nova. Also which one would be cheaper? And how much hp could i expect from each one with about 4000 dollars into each one....thnx

#3 ·
I agree, the 350 will make more mid rpm torque for the street given both engines are built the same, the 327 does wind up a lot nicer though IMO, 327's are harder to build good compression with than a 350. Older 327's had some wimpy 11/32" rod bolts.

350 would probably be your best route...

#5 ·
Really, there is not much of a reason to go with a 327 on the street in a 350 is also an option. The 350 will make more hp and torque. It is true that a 327 is a used less often, so it would be different from what everyone else is running, but the reason for that is probably that a 350 is a more powerful motor. There is something I have always wondered about a motor "rapping up quicker". I always hear of people saying that short stroke motors rap up quicker, but there is something about that I dont understand. If you have a 350 and a 327 both with the exact same parts, the 350 will have more hp and torque. If the 350 has more hp and torque, it will accelerate the car at a greater rate. A car is accelerated faster by the motor gaining RPM faster. In this case, I dont see how the 327 could be a faster rapping motor if the 350 is accelerating the car quicker. One revolution of the crank relative to the wheels on a 350 is the same as on a 327. The only way for a car to accelerate the wheels faster is to have the motor gain RPM quicker. It seems like the 350 would rap quicker in this situation. Is there something I am missing? Thanks for any replys.

Adam

#6 ·
Welcome to hotrodders by the way!

I agreewith everyone else... unless you want to be diffrent... just run the 350... all in all it is the same parts but for a street car being able to make power lower in your RPM band is what you want. A 327 can make great power too but for me easier power is better power...

Chris

#7 · (Edited)
Trent31337 said:
I was wondering which engine i should build for my '72 Nova. Also which one would be cheaper? And how much hp could i expect from each one with about 4000 dollars into each one....thnx

As one of the Moderators here........I would like to WELCOME YOU HERE... :welcome: :welcome:

With a $4000 dollar budget.....I believe I would go to the Chevrolet place and BUY a GM crate engine. The ZZ4 is less than 4 grand. It has a warranty and makes 355 horsepower. All new parts ( aluminum heads, intake ....new HEI ...lots more good stuff.) with a GM warranty. :)

It is also lighter by 50 lbs with the aluminum heads.

Scoggins Dickey lists them for $3788.99 as shown...

:D

#8 ·
the zz4 is a spectacular mill. very useable power too.

with a 4k budget i would definitely go with at least a mild roller. my head advice would be to find a ok set that flows the most with the smallest runner. either that or a chick with big lips.lol.. :)

#9 ·
This issue is a personal preference.

In boxing, the old saying is that a good big man beats a good little man.

The same generally holds true with internal combustion engines.

As far as the small block chevy goes. I personally prefer the older short stroke engines. I know that the torque produced by the larger 350s is better, but I somehow really like the free revving of the three inch and 3-1/4 inch stroke small blocks.

Lower average piston speeds just make them a different animal altogether, and they generally will run to their potential with more modest cylinder heads, etc.

A small 283 sounds like a smooth running sewing machine, but can twist into the stratosphere with the right gearing.

If you have a heavy car, with an automatic, the nod would go to the larger and torquier 350.

However, do not underestimate how well some of that older iron can run if it's set up properly.

Don't forget that Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins coaxed over 700 horsepower out of a 327 in the early 70's. Considering he used old technology, and managed to attain horsepower levels of a modern Nextel Cup car is pretty incredible.

I have a "worthless junk" 301 Chevy that has put many 396's and 440s to shame.

Give me a muncie, a set of 4.56's and a mini-mouse. I can guarantee you that it will put a smile on anyone's face!

#10 ·
NAIRB said:
Don't forget that Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins coaxed over 700 horsepower out of a 327 in the early 70's. Considering he used old technology, and managed to attain horsepower levels of a modern Nextel Cup car is pretty incredible.

I have a "worthless junk" 301 Chevy that has put many 396's and 440s to shame.

Give me a muncie, a set of 4.56's and a mini-mouse. I can guarantee you that it will put a smile on anyone's face!
I agree :D Years ago a good friend of mine had a punched out 283/muncie/4.56's in his 69 Nova and it stomped many big motored cars, loads of fun on the street-we couldn't kill that engine. The short stroke vs long stroke debate will go on an on but basically if you're putting the vehicle in a low rpm lugging situation/highway gears, you're much better off with the extra cubes and lower rpm torque the longer stroke provides, if the engine is purpose built for higher rpms the shorter stroke will always win- check out what stroke lengths are run in NASCAR engines.

#11 ·
In my experience, more cubic inches and a longer stroke is better for a street or drag motor. Unless your car is going to be a circle tracker with a powerband of 6000-8000 RPM, I would opt for the extra cubes and stroke. I have a destroked 400 (3.295 stroke 358 cid) in a drag car and I wish the people who built it had gone the other way, we bought the car as it is. The car weighs 3000 lbs, and ran a 7.15 on motor and a 6.29 on a 100 shot, but It would be much faster if it was a 406. The motor made 615 hp at 7800 RPM, but I could probably get close to 700 out of it, and alot more torque at a lower RPM if it was a 406 or a 421 with the same parts I am using now. By the way, the car has a 5000 stall, 4.88 gear, a 28" tall tire, and a powerglide along with a brake.

Adam

#13 ·
If I was starting from scratch I would probably opt for a 350 because pistons are a little cheaper and the added stroke and cubes never hurt but if I had a good 327 core I wouldn't think twice about building it. I grew up in the days when the 331 Chevy was King, a friend had one in a '67 Camaro with a 4 speed and 4.56 posi and it spanked more than one unsuspecting big block. 7 Grand in street trim was NO problem. He sold it to buy a new Porsche 914......... :spank: :rolleyes: Another acquaintance had one in a fully street legal stock body '68 Chevelle with a 4 speed and 5.13's that ran high 11's with open headers and slicks and could lift the front wheels running through mufflers on bias ply L70-15 street tires. This was in the mid 1970's when a high 11, low 12 second street legal car was still a big deal.

#14 ·
:)

All these things about the 60's and 70's ring true.....BUT this is 2005.
Gas is not like 1969. You cannot run 12 to 1 compression on the street now on pump gas.

Think about it....the original question was 327 vs 350.

A lower compression ( 10 to 1 ) 327 will NOT keep up with a 10 to 1 350 in a daily driver with street gears and drive manners....

If cubic inches were not limited by the sanctioning bodies......Grumpy, Earnhardt and everyone else would ALL have 500 plus cubic inch engines

SIZE MATTERS.....

#15 ·
Deuce said:
Think about it....the original question was 327 vs 350.

A lower compression ( 10 to 1 ) 327 will NOT keep up with a 10 to 1 350 in a daily driver with street gears and drive manners....
I've had one of each in nearly identical configurations in very similar daily driver type vehicles, I really couldn't tell a Hell of a lot of difference. That's why I wouldn't get rid of one for the other, I'd build what I had. If I didn't have either and had to scrounge up a motor then I'd go for the 350 because they're easier to find and pistons are cheaper. Well that's not totally accurate, I'd try to find a good 400 first. ;)

#18 ·
I agree........a 400 would be the first choice...

The 327 has been out of production for over 35 years.
General Motors phased them out because of

1) pollution issues
2) 350's make more torque ( cars were getting heavier )
3) 400's came out the first year they dropped the 327 :rolleyes:

Size counts......

I have had 327's and they were good, but 350's are just so easy to get, build and so on.

If you have to ask which one to build... here ......a crate 350 is a very good and safe answer. No everyone can bore the block, check the clearances, build a engine and put it in.... ;) But most can BUY a good crate engine and run with the big dogs they want to run with........

Just my nickel.....

DEUCE...

#21 ·
Okay I know this is a bit different from what anyone else ha said- but a 348 is also an option- drop a 3.25" stroke crank in a aftermarket 400 block and have a real screamer. I personally would never use a factory 400 block though. I'd say for a light weight car (Nova) a 327 would be better- it'll save a little gas, be unique, and run a little more smoothly at higher RPM. I would definitely make one out of a newer 350 block though and through on some ported vortec heads a nice solid flat tappet cam, a good single plane manifold, a dubblepumper Holley, and some oversized headers with 2 3/4 inch exhaust- that thing would sound soooo wicked.

#23 ·
hahahah watever works works right... but like he said that 400 block may become pretty useful if u do the things u wanna do the right way like borin, exhaust and intake ports and a high flowin intake with a forged crank and cam it'll do wonders and just to top it off with a dual four barrel carbs OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO can u say :drool:

#25 ·
I like them both, and each one has pro's and con's over the other. Everyone else has pretty much covered them, but you might be interested in this little fact, at least I think it's fact, I dunno, but the 327 made more power than any other iron smallblock in factory trim. By like a whopping 5 hp or somethin'

Steve M

#26 ·
I had a friend years ago that had a 327, took a 283 crank and rods and some good flowing heads a big carb headers and a nice big solid lift cam and would turn 9000rpm all day long. That motor ran great for what he had in it. It is just finding the right combo.
It was in a 68 nova with a 4sp. That car would launch hard and it was great fun on the streets back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.