327 worth it? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2004, 09:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

327 worth it?

I need to know th difference between a 327 engine and a 350? Does a 327 have to have a carb or can it be throttle body injected? What would be a better engine to put in a 1987 chevy r10 pickup 327 or a 350?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

A 327 is simply a 350 block running a 283 crankshaft.

I would think anything you do to a 350 you would be able to do the same to a 327.

They are both small block chevy's so all the bolt on stuff will be the same for either motor.

If you have the 327 now I would keep it. And work with that motor. The difference in power between a 350 and 327 is not much to worry about. Both excellent motors.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:34 AM

Not true,a 283 crank in a 350 makes a 302,a 283 is 3in stroke,a 327 is 3 1/4. Also the 283 has small mains and all but 1 1/2 year 350s had large mains,also all but 1 1/2 year 327s had small mains,small mains=weaker rods.

I would say a roller cam 350 vortec would be the one to hunt for.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:59 AM

^If you're looking to make it as fast as possible yes...

If you just want something that'll have a decent exhaust note and burn some rubber in a good looking truck I'd build the 327 since it's already on hand...

And I bet IF you could run a fuel injection system on it, that lil thing would be hella good on gas mileage compared to any carbed setup.

*EDIT*

Sorry, I thought I read that you had the 327 already... If not then yes I agree with the above, might as well go looking for a 350 if you haven't picked it up yet.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:16 PM

I don't just say what I do from a cube standpoint,true enough you get more snort with a roller cam and more cubes,but you also need to concern yourself with brackets,pulleys,flex plate,and starter issues. Those"little things"will make you pull out your hair. I would try to find one dressed out the way you need so you wont need to be searching the world over for pieces.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:17 PM

thanks alot. one more question... im new to this so can someone explaine the stroke differences? like is it better to have a more higher stroke or smaller? does that depend on how fast it picks up?
Old 11-19-2004, 02:40 PM

A 327 has a shorter 3 1/4 stroke,the 350 is near 3 1/2,3.48,people will ague that question you asked till the second coming. Bottom line is more cubes=more power,don't even get me started on that subject,a lot of people pay high dollar to get an extra 1/4 inch of stroke,why not take advantage of something that is so abundant is the question you need to ask yourself when comparing the two,the 350 parts are cheaper also because they are mass produced and there is more price competitiveness,they also have the same size bore of 4 inch. Im not saying a 327 is a bad motor,because they aren't,they just are what they are,smaller with the same weight.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:30 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Re: 327 worth it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Trick101k
I need to know th difference between a 327 engine and a 350? Does a 327 have to have a carb or can it be throttle body injected? What would be a better engine to put in a 1987 chevy r10 pickup 327 or a 350?
You won't notice a difference between the two. Yes you can inject the 327, they did it stock back in the day.

350 block with a 307 crank will give you 327 cubes. 350 is easier to come by as they are a dime a dozen.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:55 PM

Not to be offensive,but there is no way a flat tappet 327 could compare to a vortec roller cam 350 of equal compression and duration,it may not be major,but it will definitely be a noticeable difference.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:00 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

In the vehicle he wants to put the engine in, he won't notice a difference. You can only get so much power to the ground. With major mods to the suspension and chassis then the difference will be felt.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:12 PM

Well,if you think a 350 will be blowing the tires off at freeway speeds,we didn't go to the same school,for me a commanding pass is one of the finest things about power.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:15 AM

What kinda mods are you talking about?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:58 AM

Before I answer anymore questions,do your plan to drop a stock motor in,like from a bone yard,or do you plan to go threw it,if you plan to go threw it,what are you really after,think hard about that. Will this be your daily driver? And if it is,is this something you expect to run hard? What do you consider hard? Do you think power is more important than gas mileage,and is high speed the priority,or is 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile times most important to you? To design a ride you need to know these things and if your like the majority of us,something will have to be compromised due to funds,this most certainly means redesigning other things to make the compromise work,for starters,what gears and trans do you have,do you just want a low dollar v8 rig? I think lonestar makes a valid point,you are light in the rear and spinning the tires will be a problem,with most v8s,even full size trucks,it can be a chore to hook up,either deal with it,or do things like tubs with big tires,a narrowed rear end,4 link,or whatever you can think of to suit your needs,if thats a priority to you,some people love to be able to twist em up good to show off and just put on good shocks and traction bars.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.