'33 body on an S-10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'33 body on an S-10

Hi all. My first post here, I think.

I'm putting a '33 Chevy pick up body on a '93 S-10 frame and am having some conceptual difficulties with situating the front fenders over the upper A-arms. I want to run the hood, so I don't want to hack up the bottom flanges of the fenders for clearance. For anyone else who has done a similar project, how did you manage the fit? Can you share some photo's of what you did?

Also, I was hoping to use the original S-10 Saginaw steering box but it looks like I may have to go to a rack so the box doesn't stick out in front. Any thought's on that.

I'm not new to building frame up cars but have never attempted this kind of build before. BTW, I'm not using the original frame because the front horns are bent. And I want a more comfortable ride.

Thanks.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,236
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 30
Thanked 296 Times in 276 Posts
I have a friend ( Burtucky Customs) that has done a 46 Chevy PU and a 30 Ford sedan on a S=10 chassis.

Both unconventional and very drivable rat-rods. But there is no way to use Ford/Chevy fenders on the front..

The 46 is driven daily stock 4-cyl and is a regular at the Wed evening cruise in this little village I live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 13,283
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 829
Thanked 1,145 Times in 944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkap View Post
Hi all. My first post here, I think.

I'm putting a '33 Chevy pick up body on a '93 S-10 frame and am having some conceptual difficulties with situating the front fenders over the upper A-arms. I want to run the hood, so I don't want to hack up the bottom flanges of the fenders for clearance. For anyone else who has done a similar project, how did you manage the fit? Can you share some photo's of what you did?

Also, I was hoping to use the original S-10 Saginaw steering box but it looks like I may have to go to a rack so the box doesn't stick out in front. Any thought's on that.

I'm not new to building frame up cars but have never attempted this kind of build before. BTW, I'm not using the original frame because the front horns are bent. And I want a more comfortable ride.

Thanks.
If you've done this sort of thing before, then you should be aware that what you see is what you get. If the fenders need trimmed, then the fenders need trimmed. If the steering box needs to stick out in front, then the steering box needs to stick out in front. If you try to fab up a R&P in a chassis that had a conventional box, you're gonna need some in-depth education. Been there, done that, many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
I have a friend ( Burtucky Customs) that has done a 46 Chevy PU and a 30 Ford sedan on a S=10 chassis. Both unconventional and very drivable rat-rods. But there is no way to use Ford/Chevy fenders on the front.. The 46 is driven daily stock 4-cyl and is a regular at the Wed evening cruise in this little village I live in.
Thanks for the info. I've seen photos of an early '30s Chevy PU that was supposed to be on a 4 x 4 S-10 frame and you can't tell by looking at it. At least in the photos. That's why I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
If you've done this sort of thing before, then you should be aware that what you see is what you get. If the fenders need trimmed, then the fenders need trimmed. If the steering box needs to stick out in front, then the steering box needs to stick out in front. If you try to fab up a R&P in a chassis that had a conventional box, you're gonna need some in-depth education. Been there, done that, many times.
What I've done before is build circle track cars from the frame up and worked on plenty of cars with matching bodies and frames. The new thing is different body and frame that isn't a race car.

I'd think on the R & P the critical thing is getting the bump steer right. I've done some of that so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm not interested in building a rat rod, per se, but rather a nice, dependable daily driver, so I want it to be presentable. I'm not a bling kinda' guy but I like things to fit well and be functional.

Last edited by bkap; 05-31-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone else have any thoughts on this or experience with a similar situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2013, 09:13 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,236
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 30
Thanked 296 Times in 276 Posts
If the show doesn't get rained out. I will post some pics tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
If the show doesn't get rained out. I will post some pics tomorrow.
Looking forward to see those dry photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1933 chevy pickup, s-10

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LT1 balancer difference issues, F body to B body fast68 Engine 10 08-11-2012 10:52 PM
g-body to b-body rear end swap? 95coughnut Transmission - Rearend 5 04-25-2008 02:46 AM
32 Ford body, firewall and body bolts heyjude076 Body - Exterior 5 11-20-2006 06:57 AM
3rd Gen F-body rear discs on 65 A-body 12 bolt? smallblocker2 Suspension - Brakes - Steering 7 03-22-2006 01:51 AM
g-body to a-body rear end swap? 85Sierra Transmission - Rearend 3 11-24-2005 02:34 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.