33 Chevy 5 Window Top Chop - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 03:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

33 Chevy 5 Window Top Chop

CAN ANYONE RECOMEND HOW TO MAKE CUTS TO RE-ALIGHN THE REAR SIDE AND WINDOW AREA? I TOOK OUT 3 INCHES. THIS IS MY FIRST CHOP AND I HAVE READ ALL I CAN FIND, BUT OF COURSE THERE IS NOTHING SPECIFIC TO A CHEVY. I UNDERSTAND HOW TO ALIGHN THE SIDE AND FRONT POSTS BUT REALIZE I BETTER NOT WELD ANYTHING UNTIL I FIGURE OUT THE BACK. NEITHER THE SIDE WINDOW OR THE REAR WINDOW LINE UP. I'D SAY THEY ARE OFF BY 3/8 INCH. ALSO, IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY INFO ON REPLACING THE WOOD SUB FRAME WITH SQUARE METAL TUBING I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT. THANKS GUYS.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Welcome to the board

Good to have another member now:

1) Turn off the caps lock..all caps is considered shouting and is bad manners..!!

2) Please post your question in the appropriate forum..In this case the Body exterior forum ad ther are people who have been through this over there that will be glad to help you..

3) we do have an extensive knowledge base as well as some recommended reading material that may help you..

4) Be a bit patient and not to worry..chops can be a bit difficult but it has been done and this one can get done as well..

Take care

OMT
Old 01-31-2005, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

SORRY ABOUT CAPS LOCK. IT IS ALSO FOR GUYS WITH BAD EYESITE WHO REFUSE TO GET GLASSES
Old 01-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally posted by FREEFALL
SORRY ABOUT CAPS LOCK. IT IS ALSO FOR GUYS WITH BAD EYESITE WHO REFUSE TO GET GLASSES
Can't help you on that..that is your responsibility to take care of..Sorry

OMT
Old 02-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Moving to "body" forum....

Budget RVs
Old 02-01-2005, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

33 chevy top chop

thanks for moving for me. i really do need info.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

HOLY ---- ! A LIGHT BULB JUST WENT ON ABOVE MY HEAD! ALTHOUGH THE SIDES LOOKED PERFECTLY STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN AND THE FRONT POSTS ARE PERFECTLY STRAIGHT, I THINK THE BACK SECTION MUST HAVE HAD A VERY SLIGHT SLANT TO IT. I THINK I HAVE TO CUT THE BACK ROOF FRONT TO BACK AND SPREAD IT 1/2 INCH AND EVERYTHING WILL LINE UP!
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE THE RIGHT SOLUTION? NEED TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WHO CHOPS TOPS TO TELL ME I'M RIGHT PLEEEESE!

Still need to hear from anyone who has replaced body wood with steel.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
This is awfully hard over the computer monitor with no pictures., But NO you do not have to widen that roof. With only a three inch chop there is no way you would have to widen it.

Is there any way you can post some pictures? Does the width of the top line up? In other words at the door jamb, does it line up there? The rear window area is easy, it is just sheet metal, you can cut and do anything you want. The width of the top at the door jambs, that is where you need to start.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

The pictures are in my gallery. the width of the roof at the side posts is fine and the width of the front posts is fine. i think the width at the rear sides must have slanted slightly and is now not as wide as the body area it needs to align with. take a look and see what you think.
Thanks so much for the input.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:35 PM

Hi
I thought my eyesight was bad!! (grin) Check out the book "How to Chop Tops" by Tim Remus, published by Motorbooks International. Lot Of picture, examples and explanations. Whatever you do, do not cut top into four pieces.
Good luck, Bob
Old 02-02-2005, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

if your side posts and front posts are aligned I would suggest putting a couple of tack welds there to hold it in alignment then focus on making the mods to the rear section to get them aligned. Numerous pie cuts and pieces of filler material may be needed to get the right shape. I would concentrate on the rear window area first then work your way to the side window areas. Even a 32 ford will require some adjustment in this area for a perfect fit, but not 3/4 of an inch. Some pics sure would shed some light on this and offer more suggestions for you. Take the time to look the situation over really well before you make your cuts. Refering to the before mentioned book will definately show how the adjustments need to be made. Take your time to make the pieces fit well and it'll work out just fine. Bob
Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by FREEFALL
The pictures are in my gallery. the width of the roof at the side posts is fine and the width of the front posts is fine. i think the width at the rear sides must have slanted slightly and is now not as wide as the body area it needs to align with. take a look and see what you think.
Thanks so much for the input.
The one thing that I am more concerned about than the poor fit at the window edge is the poor cutting and the backing you are you using.

If you brought that car in my shop, do you want to know what I would do? I would pull the top back off. Using a die grinder with a cut off wheel I would carefully cut the welds being careful not to cut through the skin and remove that backing metal. Then I would correct those cuts (probably lowering the top another half inch would be needed) so they fit better. I would butt weld that seam and THEN I would start fitting the window edges.

Honestly, you have made a lot of work for yourself. That backing is a KILLER. you can use the backing on the center and front posts, but along that long cut around the back, you need to be able to move the metal, cut push, hammer and dolly until it fits. All while welding here and there to keep it aligned.

The widow edges are a piece of cake. You simply cut a section out and move it forward or rearward to make the edge mate up. If you move it to where there is a gap at the other end, you add metal to it. If you move it back where there would be an overlap you trim off the eccess and weld it in place.

I will try to make some drawings tomorrow and post them. But honestly, think about removing the top and cleaning up those seams.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:34 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for input. I actually got the idea of the backing material out of the book "how to chop tops". they said it would improve the strength by double. It sounded like a good idea on a car with body wood.
the top is free to be lifted off anytime. i am also new to welding. i take it that my seams must be perfect before welding. Not knowing any better, i thought they could just be filled with weld. But i would'nt be on this site if i thought i knew everything, so i am listening close to everything you say. The backing plates can be ground off with a cutting wheel if necessary with out too much trouble. awaiting your drawings. Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, you need to get the seams much better if you want a nice job. You "could" use a backing like that to make up for a poor fit, but on a top chop on your cool old Chevy, I wouldn't. Backing like that works well on something like a rocker or windshield post where you can't get behind the weld with a dolly. But on something like that, especially where you need to do some "massaging" to get the metal to fit better, the backing is totally wrong.

I am not sure, the windows are such an odd shape you may have not had a choice. But many times, the top can be strategically cut to eleminate or greatly reduce the mismatch at the windows like that.

If you want to pull the roof off and start again, you need to look for the lowest area of the cut and then make it all match that. A metal ruler can be bent around the back of that top so you can get a nice straight line. MEASURE, MEASURE, MEASURE all points to be sure you are going to make it all even.

The following diagram is pretty self explanatory but just toss any questions my way (or for anyone else that may want to respond of course). Sorry about the poor scan.

Last edited by MARTINSR; 02-03-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

The scan is fine and i can see exactly what you mean. I'll dig into it next week. Thanks for setting me on the right track.I'll let you know how it turns out.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.