Hot Rod Forum banner

33 chevy ongoing project

907 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
planing on turning my 97 vortec 350 into 383, tring to figure out which head to use the stock vortec or a set of Lt1s , the 96 Lts may be more trouble than their worth, anybody have the answer. My 33 chevy is an ongoing project (11 years) but I'll finish it one day soon. I have a comp cam in the 350 (thumper ). want to use 3 deuce set up for the carbs. What do you think. I have a bow tie overdrive 700r4 trans with jag rear 3.73

#2 ·
Use the Vortec heads. They flow as well if not better than the LT1 head and don't require welding, etc. that the LT head does to make it work on a non-reverse cooled block.

The Vortec will not allow for more than about 0.460" of lift w/o clearance between the seal and retainer being too close and the springs themselves are too weak for most aftermarket cams so they have to be changed.

There are spring packages that can be used to get around having to machine the guide boss for clearance or you can have the boss shortened and cut for seals if you prefer.

There are a lot of threads here and elsewhere on this, CLICK for some more info on Vortec heads and mods to them, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.