33 Ford registered as a "kit" car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

33 Ford registered as a "kit" car

1933 Ford, has VIN #, Kentucky car, Downs fiberglass body, passed NSRA 23 point inspection. So it has wipers, emergency brake etc. everything a new car would have.

I'm thinking of buying it, one concern is that the builder says it car was registered/titled as a 1933 "kit" car. Is that a designation peculiar to Kentucky ? Are you aware of any issues relative to insurance, registration/title, state inspection or any other restrictions if a car is registered/titled as a "kit" car ? I live in NYS.

Any issues reselling it some day ? I know I'd feel a lot better if it was registered as a 1933 Ford as virtually every 33 or 34 Ford I've looked at has been. I know in NYS that if it's registered as a 33 Ford that inspection is easy as it only has to pass 1933 standards.

Thanks.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 08:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

that means it was titled with a law that was lead by a movement that SEMA created.. cars that replicate the original counterparts can be titled and comply with requirements of the year car it replicates, but they cannot be daily driven and may have mialage limitations depending on state.. not all states have the street rod law, NY had it in legislation but I don't know if it passed, I looked a few months ago and it's there but nothing says if it passed or not... I would not hesitate to call the DMV on it. titled in that way, it is 100% legal no questions asked. it may need to be inspected by a state inspection office, but it is legal
Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

Matt,

Thanks. I can reconcile things with NYS with a call to DMV, my insurance company and my inspection guy . I'm more concerned with re-sale. Other states may have a dimmer view of a car titled as a 1933 "kit" car vs one titled as a 33 Ford. Perhaps when I re-title the car in NYS they would strip the word "kit" off of the title and thus it would be a moot point, I'll ask them that.

Just trying to determine the "angle" of the existing owner/builder of the car in KY, assuming there is an angle. IF he could've registered in KY as a 33 Ford and not a 33 Ford "kit" then why didn't he ? I dunno, maybe in KY it HAS to be registered that way when built from a "kit".
Old 12-22-2010, 09:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

the way I understand it, certin states use that law in certin ways. some will title them as R's or replica, so the title would read 1933R Ford, others say kit.. it could also be, because the body ( Downs ) supplied the builder/ original owner with a manufactures statement of origin, Kentucky would stick KIT on the title

I do not think resale will be effected because the title says KIT..
Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

My '32 Victoria is titled here in Utah as..... Vehicle Type.. Passenger, Year.. 2006, Make.. Spec Construction, Model..32 Ford Victoria, Body Style.. Sedan 2 Door. It was very easy and didn't cost much. I did furnish the Cert of Mfg for both the body and chassis...which was VERY helpful for the DMV lady. I'm sure all states are a little different.

As far as being labeled a "kit car" most guy's that know anything about hot rods will know that a F'glass body car is not an original and really not a kit car. If they don't know then all you have to do is show them the hundreds and hundreds of receipts you will have from the same amount of vendors and parts houses. If you build a quality nice running car I really don't think the title verbiage will KO a potential sale. We all know what THE 33 Ford KIT CAR looks like and luckily they are now out of business. Good luck with your car.

Last edited by 327NUT; 12-22-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:16 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe14580
1933 Ford, has VIN #, Kentucky car, Downs fiberglass body, passed NSRA 23 point inspection. So it has wipers, emergency brake etc. everything a new car would have.

I'm thinking of buying it, one concern is that the builder says it car was registered/titled as a 1933 "kit" car. Is that a designation peculiar to Kentucky ? Are you aware of any issues relative to insurance, registration/title, state inspection or any other restrictions if a car is registered/titled as a "kit" car ? I live in NYS.

Any issues reselling it some day ? I know I'd feel a lot better if it was registered as a 1933 Ford as virtually every 33 or 34 Ford I've looked at has been. I know in NYS that if it's registered as a 33 Ford that inspection is easy as it only has to pass 1933 standards.

Thanks.

Joe
I don't want to be an alarmist, but if the DMV "smells" kit car, registered as a '33, that could trigger a very unpleasent chain of events for you. I'm not sure how NYS handles incoming cars from state that have adopted the SEMA legislation, but when in doubt, they may send you for a field inspection where they will check for stolen parts and verify the VIN. They may want documentation of where all the major compoints (frame, body, engine, trans, rear) came from and the VIN numbers of the donor cars for drive trian (prefreably copies of the donor car titles). If that was alrready done in KY, it might not be a problem.

A new kit car would be register as 2010 custom in NY and be issued a VIN by NYS. I'm building a Factory Five '33 and already went though the process.

You really need to talk to Tom Noonam at DMV 518-474-5252, he is the only one to listen to.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Matt, 327 and Arrow,

Thanks VERY much for your replies.

I will call that fella at the NYS DMV. I've been looking for months for a suitable 32/33/34 Ford and this is the first one I've encountered where the word "kit" apparently appears on the title, so it threw me. The builder does have a KY VIN and did already fo through the KY process of showing where all the parts came from, so I'm confident NYS won't drag me through that process again as it has a KY VIN already.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

kit car

Quote:

Thanks.

Joe
Every car that was not made by Henry or anyone else is a kit car, they don't have all the parts come with it. If it's street beast, downs, outlaw, any of them they are kit cars, you have to put them together, they aren't put together at the factory and you drive them home off the showroom floor. They were designed to be put together with a series of parts to make a car that looks like one that the factory built.
With that said you might or might not have to keep all your slips for everything you have bought, when you go to the DMV, some might call it a kit, some a replica, I don't know, every state is different, but if the car has been titled in one state I wouldn't think you should have trouble in another.
As far as reselling, everyone knows it's not real what big deal is it.

35terraplane.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Every car that was not made by Henry or anyone else is a kit car, they don't have all the parts come with it. If it's street beast, downs, outlaw, any of them they are kit cars, you have to put them together, they aren't put together at the factory and you drive them home off the showroom floor. They were designed to be put together with a series of parts to make a car that looks like one that the factory built.
With that said you might or might not have to keep all your slips for everything you have bought, when you go to the DMV, some might call it a kit, some a replica, I don't know, every state is different, but if the car has been titled in one state I wouldn't think you should have trouble in another.
As far as reselling, everyone knows it's not real what big deal is it.

35terraplane.
Terra,

Thanks, you've been helpful in the past on my rod-noobie questions, but I think you're missing my point just a bit.

I'm a gearhead (but not a rod expert) so I know these "kit" steel or glass rods are, from a physical and technical standpoint, simply an assembly of parts. As would anyone buying it eventually from me.

The issue is nothing more than legal semantics. My concern was appending the term "kit" on the title, what could be the inspection / registration / titling / insurance /resale ramifications of such a designation. As stated above, all cars I've encountered in my tortured search were titled as a 32/33 or 34 Ford, then this one cames along with the "kit" appendage on the title, and it throws me for a loop, of sorts.

Thanks to all for your replies, I'll call DMV and my insurance dude and that should ally my concerns since from above there doesn't "seem" to be any re-sale implications.

Thanks to all.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Depending on the state you could see any number of different descriptions on the title. Anything from "Kit" to "Specially Constructed Vehicle" to just "Ford". It depends on the particular DMV, and what the person who built the car started with. If he started with an original frame and title with an original vin, it could be titled as a real "Ford" even if it has a glass body. If he purchased an original title from someone and passed it off as his (providing DMV didn't catch it.. that's illegal) the car could also be titled as a "Ford". If he started with a new frame and did everything by the book (as far as DMV is concerned) it will be titled as an assembled vehicle of some type ("Kit" or Specially Constructed Vehicle" etc.) None of this should have an effect on resale except possibly if the title was "purchased" and passed off as his original. That could come back to bite you sometime in the future.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races." Carroll Shelby
Old 12-23-2010, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

Center,

Thanks.

In this case the builder bought a rolling chassis and body from Outlaw and got the title from one of the title mills. That's a very common method of course for kit cars. But, ALL other cars I've looked at built in that manner did not have the kit designation on the title. Then again, this is the first KY built car I've looked at (to my recollection), so maybe that's just the way they do it in KY. I just got a bit suspicious when I encountered that "unique (to me) title.

Thanks again to all for making me feel more secure in this transaction, you've given me a good course of action.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

kit car

Quote:
Center,

Thanks.

In this case the builder bought a rolling chassis and body from Outlaw and got the title from one of the title mills. That's a very common method of course for kit cars. But, ALL other cars I've looked at built in that manner did not have the kit designation on the title. Then again, this is the first KY built car I've looked at (to my recollection), so maybe that's just the way they do it in KY. I just got a bit suspicious when I encountered that "unique (to me) title.

Thanks again to all for making me feel more secure in this transaction, you've given me a good course of action.
Like centerline said every state is different but if you try to get a title that says ford on it here, like you use a ford frame, by - law you must take pictures of the whole build and if you try putting a glass body on it you will not get the ford title, now I'm not saying guys haven't done it but by - law that is how you go about it. the state will give you a new Vin # also not the one on the frame. Also here 9 out of 10 titles from out state won't make it either. most of us have learned not to waste your money.
If that car was titled in KY. and have a VIN # you should be able to get it in NY, But that doesn't say you won't have to do inspections, or whatever, they might also stamp it 2010 33 ford, I don't know how NY works.

Bob

PS I don't know about there, but here we have DMV offices that you can get more done than others, not all the hoops to jump though, ask around you might make it a lot easier for yourself.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.