336 and 487 heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

336 and 487 heads

Okay so I got a question for you guys. I just got a set of heads one casting is 487 and one is 336 for small block chevy. I never heard of the 336 till I had gotten it but after some research I saw it was basicily the same as the 487's, 441, and such. Now that being said what major difference's is there between the two? Such as port layout, chamber design and such.

If they are truely similar would it be possible through machineing and porting they could be made identical? I work at a racing head company so any machine work that would need to be done I can do or have done for free. So experts please chime in. Really hoping F-Bird'88 chimes in.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

You do realize that since you work at ----- you have to get us all discounts on new heads LOL.....
Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 PM

Lol Bird for all the help you've given me over the past couple years for you I'd see what I could do!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

I am very curious about the cylinder heads they make. Looks like impressive stuff.

If your project is a 287cid engine why not dig up and use a 4416 or 601 casting for that small CID engine.?
Much easier to get a decent compression ratio. Not bad at all when ported too.

I like to use the large chamber heads 487-336-920 etc on low buck supercharged motors.

You are going to have to mill them a ton for a N/A 287CID engine....no....?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM

Alot of people like our stuff. It flows well and has good air speed. PM head info you'd like to know and I get get you any info you want on them. I can't wait to personally get a set for my 355 project.

On the 601 or 416 I'd love to use them but my 287 uses domes and that would be to much compression ratio for my engine to run 93. Suprisingly depending on the head gasket I choose around 70cc would put me at 10.5 to 1. I got lucky on this short block somebody dropped some serious money into.

Funny you mention super charger... Once my 355 is finshed and I drop it in I was thinking about turning the 287 in to a turbo motor using most of the GN hardware. I mean other then getting different headers and modding a could little things I would think it would work on my cutlass.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPac View Post
Alot of people like our stuff. It flows well and has good air speed. PM head info you'd like to know and I get get you any info you want on them. I can't wait to personally get a set for my 355 project.

On the 601 or 416 I'd love to use them but my 287 uses domes and that would be to much compression ratio for my engine to run 93. Suprisingly depending on the head gasket I choose around 70cc would put me at 10.5 to 1. I got lucky on this short block somebody dropped some serious money into.

Funny you mention super charger... Once my 355 is finshed and I drop it in I was thinking about turning the 287 in to a turbo motor using most of the GN hardware. I mean other then getting different headers and modding a could little things I would think it would work on my cutlass.
Why not just get a set of after market or good casting heads. 487s are not hard to find spend 150 bucks and get one thats bolt on ready and rebuild the one you have. Or vice versa.

If its a built short block why not do it right and get something to gether that is going to run. Get some good heads. Tell the boss you need some heads or some over time to buy heads. Your going work late anyway might as well get a nice set of heads out of it. Every head shop has seconds or heads that dont make the cut. Grab some junkers and get them workable and go. Or deliver pizzas for a few weeks and buy a set straight out.

If its just a junker slap those two heads on with new seals and lap job and drive it like you stole it. Always fun to have a motor you dont have nothing into ot that works. They will run ok. If you in a head shop cc the ports and see of they are close. Chambers as well should be the same. Sinking the valves may give a little less cc to the chambers to get them close.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM

That's pretty much how this engine is. I traded my World s/r torquer heads for this engine. I had zero money into the s/r's since they were given to me. The guys I traded for the engine thought it was just a flat top .30 over.

Found out it's bored .30 huge domes, fresh everything nice cross hatch in the bore, forged rotating assembly ARP studs, and the works. Then here's the kicker. Someone slapped a set of 882 heads on it.

After getting these heads I'm still at zero dollars for this entire engine. As you mentioned getting a set of heads from work. I'd love to throw a set of 185's on but I wouldn't want to chance ruining them with porting them out, the main reason I'm using factory heads right now is to practice porting and to see how how different portings match up on the flowbench and real world.

I wish we had a set of 185's that didn't make the cut, but thankfully (and unfortantly in my case lol) we have really good quality stuff so we don't have one single 185 that's not up to snuff.

I honestly just don't have the money right now to swing a set of heads at this moment in time. Embarassing as that is it's the truth.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Old & Furious

Well for porting you got what you need two heads now get twenty more from the junk yard or rebuilder and your ready to learn how to port some heads. Cut few sets before you put a set on your car. You will make some mistakes in just learning how to use the tools. Best not to practise with the heads your going to use. First time out doing a complete set of heads. One port is easy with a few hours practise doing a full set of heads is more problematic since its easy to do a lot of work on the first port and need to redo that work 7 more times. Best to do a little work on each port as you go and keep it simple.

Do you live near md? I got a set of ***************

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 01-15-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: For sale item, not allowed in forums
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 PM

I've got a pair off 882's to practice on. I've been practicing with with the cartrage roll and gotten pretty fabulous with it! I haven't tried cutting yet. But it's nothing to crazy. I wish I lived closer to MD. But I live in ohio. Yeah those valves are too big. Would hit the bore.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPac View Post
Okay so I got a question for you guys. I just got a set of heads one casting is 487 and one is 336 for small block chevy. I never heard of the 336 till I had gotten it but after some research I saw it was basicily the same as the 487's, 441, and such. Now that being said what major difference's is there between the two? Such as port layout, chamber design and such.

If they are truely similar would it be possible through machineing and porting they could be made identical? I work at a racing head company so any machine work that would need to be done I can do or have done for free. So experts please chime in. Really hoping F-Bird'88 chimes in.
There's not enough difference between them to matter IMO. I'd CC them both and if needed mill the larger head or work the chambers of the smaller head (depending on the need or lack of need for CR) to bring them to equal chamber volumes.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Be sure to attend a Dave's and Ed's swap meet at Canton or Canfield.Bring cash with you and look what is on the tables for a deal.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.