34 coupe hood lacing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

34 coupe hood lacing

I'm working on a customers repro 34 ford 3 window coupe. I need to install the stock lacing and bumpers on the cowl and repro grill. ( the bob Drake repro '34 grill is a really nice part) This is on a fiberglass body so there are no holes or any indication of where they should go.
I bought the bumpers and lacing from bob drake. I called the tech line and the tech guy had no idea. I looked in my green bible and a whole stack of catalogs but came up with nothing that has a good pic. If anyone has some pics of a stock cowl and side cowl with the lacing and bumpers installed it would be a great help. The lacing on the grill at the top where the radiator cap goes would be helpful also. Does it bend around that corner at the front or is it mitered of just butted together? I am trying to make this installation appear somewhat authentic otherwise I would just guess.
Thanks for reading this, Mikey

Advertisement

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 06-01-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2006, 05:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the cowl lacing starts 2" from the center at the top because of the hood hinge bracket. there is a screw right there to hold the lacing. then 10" away is the next screw (on an original there is a "dimpled" area where the screws would be ), then 6 1/2 " to the next screw. the next screw will now be on the side in-line with the cars belt line (7" from the previous screw).from the belt line down are 3 more screws 6" apart to the end of the lacing. total-7 screws each side.
the bumpers are at each corner of the hood sides. FYI, some rods do not use them, the lacing will be enough.
the radiator shell lacing again starts next to the hood hinge pivot & follows the curve of the shell. some installers cant/wont spend the time to make the lacing curve so they make a 45 joint. the holes in the shell will be where the screws go to hold the lacing.
hope this helps.

Last edited by FASTFORD; 06-03-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:17 AM

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

34 hood lacing

That is great to know especially on fiberglass bodys. Does anyone know a source for door rubber seals for a fiberglass body? I've heard that the body manufacture makes a difference but I don't know the original manufacture of my body. Thanks
Old 06-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thanks FASTFORD for taking the time to go and measure your car and reply. The screw schedule is indeed helpful . I had a feeling that the grill shell lacing can be curved around the corner where the radiator cap area intersects the top lateral portion of the grill. I will endeavor to make it curve. I still have 1 question though, is the lacing installed close to the cowl where the cowl/hood gap would be, or is it an inch or so away, more towards the front of the car? It seems as though the 4 bumpers that are about 1/2" high fit better in the 4 relieved areas in the cowl, between the lacing and gap. I will take a picture of the lacing and bumpers where it looks like they should go and maybe you could confirm for me. Thanks again.

garyroushkolb - Soffseal, http://www.soffseal.com/
and Metro,http://www.metrommp.com/
are 2 companies that make universal seals and weatherstrips. They have numerous sizes designed to fill whatever gap you have. You can find seal profiles on their websites,along with measurements. I usually take a little modeling clay and put it inbetween the door and doorjamb. shut the door, open it and measure the clay to see how big the gap is. Select a weatherstrip that is just a little bigger. The 3/16" hollow "D" type seems to work pretty well on the majority of the perimeter of the door, while there is a larger profile that looks like a "C" that works on the lower section. Bob drake and CW moss have the stock weatherstrip that doesn't do alot to keep the outdoors outside of your car. Poli-Form has put together a set for their 34 coupe using soffseal weatherstrip. It has several profiles selected to fill the various gaps that exist on their 34 doors. That set may or may not work on your car, depending on how big the gaps are. Some glass bodies are tighter than others.
Hope this helps, mikey

Old 06-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Last photo:

SoftSeal is about as good as it gets IMO.

Vince
Old 06-03-2006, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

Hi. your welcome as it is no trouble.
the cowl lacing is indeed 1" in from the edge of the hood
(that is to the center of the screw hole if possible) or cowl relief area for the hood.
on an original, those 1/2" bumpers were used on the inner fender, hood lip recess,1/3 third from the front edge & 1/3 third from the back end of the hood.
sorry, i forgot about those in my 1st reply.

this is just a suggestion. after some time the lacing ends start to fray or unravel. on some rods, they have made an end cover for the lacing to prevent that & clean up the look on the end of the lacing. i need to do this cause i think the lacing on my ride looks crummy at the ends.

glass cars will usually need a smaller rubber seal than an original. as stated, soffseal is considered the best. contact the body manufacturer for the suggested size (thickness) needed. i think Outlaw Performance has their own rubber seals that may fit others.

just so others may know, there are a few glass car manufacturers that need same as original seals. Wescott is 1, their cars are very close to original dimensions.

i hope i answered all your questions. if not, ask away & i`ll do my best to get the answer for you.
keep on roddin!!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thanks again, fastford you answered all of them
I checked out your photo gallery. Nice Coupe! I sure got a soft spot for cleveland motors. I'm building a 70 4v for my wifes mustang. I have 1 more I can put together for something else. The 33 in my shop is getting a 4v cleveland also. WHOO HOO!
Later, mikey

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.