Hot Rod Forum banner

34 Ford 4 piece hood

6K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  FASTFORD 
#1 ·
I have a 34 4 piece hood with no cut out it is a Rootlieb hood. Because the hood has a center hindge the bracket that fits on the top of the rad that the hinge fits into is about 4" under the hood when I trial fit the rad. Do I have to cut something out go the hood before I can install the bracket on top of the rod to hold the hinge?

#4 ·
it has been a number of years since I saw a 34 with a hood without the cut out but I believe it mounted the same.

also ,if you look at hood mounting parts for a 33 or 34 the same bracket is used in the front & the rear of the hood.
so I would guess that the grille shell will have a lip where the hinge bracket will bolt on to keep the hinge in place & aligned.

check this out..about halfway down the page you will notice hood hinge brackets for 33 to 35 Fords. the part number is the same for front & rear brackets.......#40-8220

http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-hood-parts/camid/F30/cc/225/action/showall/start/0/

#5 ·
It is mounted the same problem is because the hood has no cut out the holes that are in the rad top for the hinge bracket are now not in the right place. And the grill shell is fiberglass so I cannot mount the bracket to the grill shell. I think I have to cut the hood out so I can shorten the hinge.

#6 ·
I suggest you stop for awhile and consider another option.
your grille shell is glass but you may be able to fabricate a plate to mount the hinge bracket.
bonding this plate to the underside of the grille shell may get the hood to mount without cutting.
could you post some pictures of your grille & hood ?

#12 ·
after re-reading this thread, I want to clarify a bit.
the bracket on the back side of the radiator is for the support rods.
the bracket on the front side of the radiator is used to fasten the lip/flange of the grille shell.
since you have the hood style without the cut out, I`m not sure where the front hood hinge bracket is mounted.
I think it still should be on the grille shell flange to mate the grille shell & hood. I believe this because, on the cut out style hood,the bracket is on the grille flange and the hood & grille line up correctly in this position.

#13 ·
OK guys I need some help. As you can see in the picture I have only 3 solutions as I see it.
1. Cut the hood hinge back and bolt the hinge bracket where it sgould be
2. Add something under the hood on the top of the rad to extend the hood bracket back
3. Bolt the hood bracket hinge to the fiber glass grill shell.

If I do the first one I will have to fill the area I cut out. If I do the second one I am not sure the hood will drop down far enough. If I do the 3rd one is the fiberglass strong enough to hold the hood. Any help would ne greatly appricated

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.